Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to stop someone from downloading things on computer

Hello, i was wondering if anyone knows how i can stop somebody from downloading programs on my computer. My brother has been doing bad in school so i uninstalled wow so he cant play but he just redownloads it. I can put a parental control because hell just make a trial account and play on that. What are ways to stop him from downloading stuff!

10+ Year Old Account
    NetNanny... great tool which allows you to restrict anything and everything on the PC

Put a password on the computer and don't tell him what it is.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    password protect your computer, block the ports that wow uses(should be guides around)

Quote Originally Posted by drdeeth View Post
    Put a password on the computer and don't tell him what it is.
    Lol i would do that but i still want him to be able to go on to do hw and such.

---------- Post added 2012-02-12 at 05:56 PM ----------

if i make a guest account? can he download wow on there or do you have to be on the admin account?

10+ Year Old Account
    Like someone stated, block the ports that WoW uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    If he's only supposed to be using the computer for homework then tell him if he uses it for WoW he can't use it at all anymore. I graduated school without the internet just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles11 View Post
    if i make a guest account? can he download wow on there or do you have to be on the admin account?
    If you make a guest account he shouldn't be able to install anything so that would probably work.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could just put a password on your computer and then buy him a shitty, little, old laptop that's really only capable of running Word and the internet for his homework.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    You could just put a password on your computer and then buy him a shitty, little, old laptop that's really only capable of running Word and the internet for his homework.
    this.
    get him some shitty netbook from the dell bin at walmart for 150$.
    he will be able to use word, slow internet, and minesweepr lol.

Group permissions are nice, also password protection is great place to start. You can also deny internet access at specific times via your router. Tons of ways to accomplish your goal just figure out what would work best and google a guide.

You can install a software firewall and block all internet access to unauthorized applications, then protect the firewall with a password.
    Even if he installs something, it won't have internet access.
    You can also block the access to battle.net and similar sites.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-02-12 at 11:19 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pickles11 View Post
    Hello, i was wondering if anyone knows how i can stop somebody from downloading programs on my computer. My brother has been doing bad in school so i uninstalled wow so he cant play but he just redownloads it. I can put a parental control because hell just make a trial account and play on that. What are ways to stop him from downloading stuff!
    Hit him and tell him to grow up.
    But if you want something less destructive, password protect your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    If he's only supposed to be using the computer for homework then tell him if he uses it for WoW he can't use it at all anymore. I graduated school without the internet just fine.
    According to your profile that is quite a while ago though :P.
    Just setup another user on your computer for him and don't tell him the admin password.

10+ Year Old Account
    Use a hammer. That solves most problems

No but seriously if you have Windows 7 (I dunno about older OS) there is a "parental control" option in the control panel. There's a game setting and a download setting. Something there should help.

Ever heard of a program called deep freeze? Works great for things off of your machine.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're running OSX you can setup parental controls to control what apps he can use, what sites he can visit, how many hours a day he can be on, and when his bedtime is.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

pickels11, what kind of OS are you running?

This is called controlling someone life's, just talk to him and tell what can happen if he don't study, don't private him of stuff that he likes.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my household, I have my computer set up with my profile and a guest profile. My profile is password protected and has administrator status and the guest account can use Internet Explorer and other basic programs. You can set it up so that the guest account can't even access the harddrive files, let alone download and/or install programs.