Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    Deleted

The Abandonned Raid : The Abyssal Maw

Hello MMO-Champion !

In this short movie, I will show you what The Abyssal Maw looks like.
    Remember, Abyssal Maw was the raid that was supposed to be released with patch 4.1 before it was cancelled and replaced with Zul'Gurub and Zul'Aman.

A few months ago I was surprised when I found that the map was in the game files and after managing to visit it (this is a very complex exploration, probably one of the hardest I've ever done) I filmed some plans.

I originally planned to release those plans in my upcoming exploration movie, Wanderings of an Essplorer (you can find the teaser here), but due to some circonstances I have the chance to release them now, so I went back to the instance a few days ago and I filmed more plans.

This was filmed on LIVE server, EU-Ysondre, during patch 4.2.2 and 4.3.2.
    Soundtrack is Thomas Bergersen - Immortal.
    Enjoy

PS : It's better to watch this in 1080p full screen

Deleted
    maybe they will release it as a filler raid like RS.

10 times better than firelands
    100 times better than dragonsoul
    1000 better than zg za

Fuck, Blizzard you dropped the ball here.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    1000 better than zg za

So which of the aspects of the Abyssal Maw leads you to say that? How do the boss fights compare? And any other mechanics of interest?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    So which of the aspects of the Abyssal Maw leads you to say that? How do the boss fights compare? And any other mechanics of interest?
    Hes just assuming that it is better in most cases.

This is amazing.

I wonder why development was stopped so suddenly? It looks like the landscape was there, and although level design is easier than boss design, it's a lot of work to toss away.

Perhaps the raid was meant to be done underwater like Vash'jir, where players had a full 3-D range of motion. That -sounds- cool; but in development, they realized that every fight was going to be like Al-Akir's 3rd phase, so they scrapped the concept to prevent the explosive QQ that would have been inevitable if they created a whole raid with mechanics similar to T11's least favorite boss.

Mm, really nice.
    but is it just me or do those platforms look like nerubian stylish

oh, and it´s even posseble blizzard had made it more complete, becouse i guess/think you're not in that part. but the same kind of as from the iccraid to that mining pit. (correct me if i'm wrong!)

R.I.P awsome dungeon
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    1000 better than zg za

Except it was announced at Blizzcon as a 5 man and not a raid. http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/10/22/bl...l-maw-dungeon/

Blizz really dropped the ball with raid content this expansion T_T

Really was looking foward to this raid!! and some old god lore!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcatraz_ View Post
    Hes just assuming that it is better in most cases.
    Goes to prove people make assumptions out of nothing.

Not to mention assuming it would be better based on looks... funny. I smell trolling here! :P

I'm more interested in how you did this on a live server, than a half-done raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    This is amazing.

I wonder why development was stopped so suddenly? It looks like the landscape was there, and although level design is easier than boss design, it's a lot of work to toss away.

Perhaps the raid was meant to be done underwater like Vash'jir, where players had a full 3-D range of motion. That -sounds- cool; but in development, they realized that every fight was going to be like Al-Akir's 3rd phase, so they scrapped the concept to prevent the explosive QQ that would have been inevitable if they created a whole raid with mechanics similar to T11's least favorite boss.
    Possibly this. The thing that makes me feel disappointed with blizzard though is that they said the Abyssal Maw was nothing more than concept art at the time they decided to scrap it, but as we can see here, there are a few unique pieces of art, the towers for one, and i could be wrong but i dont recall seeing those platforms anywhere in the game either. I think 4.2 would of been a vastly superior patch if they had implemented both The Firelands and the Abyssal Maw, it would of given the patch so much more entertainment value from a PVE perspective, i was tired of the aesthetics of the Firelands after week 2.

Deleted
    Looks interesting, shame they did not implement it, and what was the reasoning why they didn't include it? Are they going to leave Neptulon's fate unresolved for now?

I wonder why development was stopped so suddenly?
    It's clear they had major problems with their development team in Cata, so they probably just couldn't get the thing done by the patch deadline so they had to drop it and quickly recycle a couple of old raids as 5-mans instead.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HavocPrime View Post
    Looks interesting, shame they did not implement it, and what was the reasoning why they didn't include it? Are they going to leave Neptulon's fate unresolved for now?
    It will probably be in a comic or within a novel in most cases.

Hmmm that looks like Throne of the 4 Winds at the very end?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcatraz_ View Post
    It will probably be in a comic or within a novel in most cases.
    This. seems how they resolve important peices of lore now, instead of having a team work on a chunk of game content, just get 1 writer to write a book or short story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HavocPrime View Post
    Officialy, it's because they couldn't find a good story to tell
    Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    Mm, really nice.
    but is it just me or do those platforms look like nerubian stylish
    You are right
    Those platforms are the same that Ahn'Kahet ones, but I'm pretty sure that was a placeholder.

Deleted
    I want that raid. NOW >_>