Poll: Transmission preference?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I wonder if people that say "Manual is faster" have actually seen the testing? Manual is faster by under half a second through to top speed on sports cars IF you dont use the clutch. So for manual to be faster you have to fully destroy your gearbox.
    A manual isn't guaranteed to be faster on a dragstrip, just saying "Manual is faster" is silly. They will be roughly the same, depends more on the talent of the driver than the equipment.

On a track however, a slushbox will get completely destroyed by a stick, no question about it.

Automatic because I can't drive manual. I tried to learn once and just couldn't get the hang of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer manuals because when I drive automatics I "push" the clutch down, realise i've just just slammed the brake then hit my head on the steering wheel!

Deleted
    Not sure which I'd prefer since I've never tried an automatic....but probably automatic as it'd be easier

automatic vs manual is like PvE vs PvP. One is just so much cooler and superior to the other. *puts into drive and tries to stay awake*
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

Deleted
    Manual fo sho, drove a automatic car once, and never again. I missed the gearshift too much :P

Besides, when the roads are frozen, I prefer breaking on my engine/clutch than using the actual breaks and end up gliding into someones rear bumper

Deleted
    I drive stick but I'd like to drive automatic. Teh laziness

I guess it depends on where I'll be driving the most.

At the moment, I have an automatic 2010 Hyundai Elantra. When I bought it, I was working just north of downtown Columbus, the traffic I was driving in was stop and go on the Interstate a lot of the time, that being the case, I went with an automatic.

But now I work in the small town I grew up in and live in a bigger town in the next county over. My commute has virtually no traffic, and I wish everyday that I had a manual.

TL;DR: Manual.

DSG automatic. Automatics are faster than manuals and it's easier in the city. I used to have a double friction clutch and it was a work out on my legs in traffic. Valet attendants can't even start my car. I always have to go start it for them. What was the point of valet parking?

Now with F1 tech going into affordable cars I prefer automatics on my Lexus IS-F. Now we just need an affordable transmission like the one off the Lamborghini Aventador.

I generally prefer manual. It's more fun, and feels like you have a bit more control in some situations (Having access to good engine break capability is nice where I live; snowy and hilly Norway). I just prefer the feel of it I guess, I have no particular hate towards automatic either. Matter of fact I drive automatic at the moment, because finding a 1998 XJ8 with manual gearing is nigh on impossible..! And also, lets admit, that kind of car is more suited to automatic anyway
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafter View Post
    Is it true Automatic cars are more common in the United states? because in the UK I only ever see Manual cars
    i heard this as well.
    i dont drive, but i would rather an auto, much simpler and easier :P my mum has always drove an auto as well, they are a bit more expensive though :\ if i ever do learn to drive i would rather have an auto, because i am lazy :P

Well, I drive both. My first car was a 1998 hyundai tiburon and it was a standard. it's fun to drive around in and bog around in my little town (100k population, i call that small as I live 3 hours away from edmonton). But driving in a big city I prefer automatic. Just incase I need to mindlessly slam on the breaks and not stall my engine (im taking into consideration that my only instinct is to hit the breaks and cant clutch at the same time for whatever reason). It's sad that my new car a 2006 mustang is a automatic, but I put ALOT of money into that car and just paid it off. So if im driving, I want my complete and undevided attention to the road.

So im going to say Automatic manual(shiftable automatic). I have a ratchet shifter so I can go 1-3 manual then up one more is just drive. So I can be a standard for the first 3 gears if I want some fun ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSuze View Post
    You've mistakenly made the assumption that I'm not capable of buying MORE poutine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Manual is far more fun, saves gas, is faster and saves brakes.

Sadly, both our vehicles are automatic atm and I miss shifting badly.
    Saves brakes? How so? Are you slowing down by gearing down (compression braking)? You'll wear our your transmission system faster and that way. Much more expensive to replace a worn out transmission than replacing some brake pads. Unless you're driving a freight truck or something equipped with engine brakes, you shouldn't be stopping like that.

For me, after driving manual transmission for nearly 10 years, I'd rather have an automatic. Shifting gets old after a while. When I head in and around Vancouver, all the stop and go traffic is annoying as hell when your shifting every 10 seconds. Automatics are programmed so well these days, the only real advantage that manual has now is a lighter car.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    I don't know about elsewhere, but in the UK if you take your driving test in an automatic, you aren't allowed to drive manuals! Is that the same elsewhere?

Anyway, I do know one person here (out of lots) who drives an automatic, but they are more expensive and are seen as being driven by people who have to use them because they can't drive very well... I stress that is just in the UK of course.

yeah that seems to be the opinion of people where i live in the UK. my friends that drive hate automatics and say people only have them because they cant drive very well :\

Where I live automatic cars are really rare (and we're required to drive manual to get the license). I had the chance to drive one once and it felt quite relaxing, but I think it may become boring over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafter View Post
    Is it true Automatic cars are more common in the United states? because in the UK I only ever see Manual cars
    No, I remember hearing/reading a fact that in the states your car is 80% less likely to be stolen if its a standard.
    You've mistakenly made the assumption that I'm not capable of buying MORE poutine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevegasm View Post
    Saves brakes? How so? Are you slowing down by gearing down (compression braking)? You'll wear our your transmission system faster and that way. Much more expensive to replace a worn out transmission than replacing some brake pads. Unless you're driving a freight truck or something equipped with engine brakes, you shouldn't be stopping like that.

For me, after driving manual transmission for nearly 10 years, I'd rather have an automatic. Shifting gets old after a while. When I head in and around Vancouver, all the stop and go traffic is annoying as hell when your shifting every 10 seconds. Automatics are programmed so well these days, the only real advantage that manual has now is a lighter car.
    He is right... Saves brakes and you can control the car a lot better! When in downhill, brake with the engine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Living where I do, constant bombarded by snow in the winter, I would much prefer the complete control of a manual transmission.

Even without that fact, there's so much more enjoyment with driving when driving a manual. The only time I would prefer an automatic is in traffic jams.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevegasm View Post

Ever wonder why a semi truck sounds so loud when coming to a stop? They just downshift and the engine naturally slowes down. It doesent harm you're engine, and the same is for a normal car. You can shift driving a standard without using you're clutch. Just match your RPM's and itl slide right in.