What do you think about arcane getting a DoT in MoP?

Personaly, i'm not too sure i like the sound of that.

While the current rotation might be a bit dull, i wish there would be a better way to fix this than throwing us a DoT in our rotation. I hate fire for the fact that i have to reapply living bomb every 12 seconds, and now arcane is going to get the same? nah what am i saying... all three specs are getting their own living bomb??

I like the way that arcane's damage is purely from hard hitting abilities, it feels unique, it's the only spec in the game that doesn't use DoTs at all.

I just think that giving a living bomb version to all three spec is just a VERY cheap move and will just lead to all three specs to feel the same.

From what I saw they're adding in a new mechanic to arcane barrage. Making arcane blast and missiles build up its damage, then it breaking the stack, sort of like how arcane blast works now, except it would give you 2 stacks to track and such. Would definitely make it more interesting.

Tracking 1 dot
    2 debuffs
    Mana level
    Cooldown management.

Sounds pretty decent to me.

Also with the '0 base regen' deal in mists, its gonna be a LOT of short term CD management. I dunno, I'd say its best not to judge till its out.

Edit: Realized I didn't really post 'on the topic' so:

I feel like arcane getting a DoT is a fine thing, and I feel most specs will pick arcane bomb just due to its unlimited target cap. For PVE anyhow.
    Last edited by Illunis; 2012-02-17 at 07:44 PM.

I see Arcane Bomb only being worth casting in AoE situations. but I guess we'll have to wait and see eh?

Btw, love the idea of the Rune of Power, with the passive 30% spell power and 200% mana regen (assuming you can place BOTH runes on the same spot, and get the effects of both.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwrong View Post
    Btw, love the idea of the Rune of Power, with the passive 30% spell power and 200% mana regen (assuming you can place BOTH runes on the same spot, and get the effects of both.)
    They stated in a blue post that Rune of Power will not stack. (LINK)

Originally Posted by Kaivax
    Casting a third will replace the first. This is similar to how Wild Mushrooms works for druids right now.

By the way, two Runes of Power will not stack.
    Last edited by Igloo; 2012-02-17 at 08:07 PM.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
    Personaly, i'm not too sure i like the sound of that.

While the current rotation might be a bit dull, i wish there would be a better way to fix this than throwing us a DoT in our rotation. I hate fire for the fact that i have to reapply living bomb every 12 seconds, and now arcane is going to get the same? nah what am i saying... all three specs are getting their own living bomb??

I like the way that arcane's damage is purely from hard hitting abilities, it feels unique, it's the only spec in the game that doesn't use DoTs at all.

I just think that giving a living bomb version to all three spec is just a VERY cheap move and will just lead to all three specs to feel the same.
    Arcane needed something in the mix, and it needed some movement DPS. This fixes both issues really easily.

Losing imp mana gem and evocation having no cooldown, you have nothing to manage anymore. Once a minute you can even evocate while running, so any form of positional forward thinking skill is lost. You can evo pre-pull for the damage boost, pop AP and burn to 40% and evo again in 30 seconds. There's no real mana management in this system. It was instead replaced with how many spells you can push before you hit 40% mana in exactly 30 seconds so as to not waste time on the buff. With intellect not increasing mana, and crits not returning mana, once you master arcane's rotation for any given haste value, it will not change.

They had to add something to this spec. Given the loss of imp. AE, an ability that gives arcane fairly good AOE and the ability to multi-dot seems the easy choice. I fail to see how a combo point system and a burn that must be maintained for the maximum duration of a buff to provide the best DPS is the same as fire's DoT+proc on crit+combustion deal, or frost's dual procs+orb deal.
    Last edited by Kuni Zyrekai; 2012-02-17 at 11:17 PM.

I dont think it is going to make the spec 'OMFGZ super John fucking Madden' but it will at least add a little more depth to the spec. In my opinion i absolutely LOVE the updated talent specs for mages, they look completely and utterly AWESOME. Seriously, take a look - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mis...-calculator#eb!

Sorry my post was a little OT, but yeah i dont think there is anything wrong with adding a DOT to the arcane spec. At the very least it will make the arcane playstyle a little more engaging.
    Last edited by matters; 2012-02-17 at 10:53 PM.

I like it personally, I won't comment on damage or potential balancing because Blizzard is going to do what they're gonna do anyway, but it'll be nice as Arcane to have a DoT, instant to boot, to toss on Rogues and prevent them just escaping fights with vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwrong View Post
    I see Arcane Bomb only being worth casting in AoE situations. but I guess we'll have to wait and see eh?
    Somehow i hope you're right... if it's a dps increase to use arcane bomb in AoE or cleave situation only, and that i can avoid it in single target rotation, i'm fine with it. As long as Arcane Explosion is still good for AoE too.

I just don't like the idea of reapplying bomb every 12 seconds for every spec. When i played fire i always thought living bomb felt wrong and misplaced, breaking the rotation. I've played shadow priest, warlock and balance druid, and i like the way DoTs work for them... but for fire mages i always hated living bomb, the only time i ever enjoyed this ability is when it didn't have a max number of target and i could just hit Tab and apply it to every target and watch everything go BOOM.

I feel the same way you do MisterSheep. I really like the new bomb spells and want them to be useful, but also situational. I do not want one particular bomb spell be determined to be a dps increase for all specs in single target raiding situations. If so, you might as well rename the spell Corruption.

Also, I think a few of you might have missed a few details of the updated calculator. The Arcane Blast debuff we have currently is being replaced with Arcane Charge. Arcane Charge stacks up to 4 times and casting Arcane Blast or Arcane Missiles (which was recently confirmed by a blue to remain a proc) produces one stack per cast. Each charge increases the mana cost of Arcane Blast by 150% and the damage of Blast, Barrage, and Missiles by 25%. Arcane Barrage will clear Arcane Charge stacks and do its damage to one additional target for each charge cleared.

It is still quite a while until we see MoP, so anything and everything could change before launch.

Quote Originally Posted by mengele View Post
    I feel the same way you do MisterSheep. I really like the new bomb spells and want them to be useful, but also situational. I do not want one particular bomb spell be determined to be a dps increase for all specs in single target raiding situations. If so, you might as well rename the spell Corruption.
    Also, blizzard stated that they want pure dps class to have a unique feeling for each spec. Adding a bomb spell that has to be applied every 12 seconds to all three specs is a step in the wrond direction.

I would be fine with bombs if we could completly avoid them for single target rotation, use bombs on cleaving situations with 2 to 5 adds, and use arcane explosion for AoE fights with loads of adds.
    Last edited by MisterSheep; 2012-02-18 at 04:02 PM.

They want each spec to feel different, but also still belonging to the same class. Arcane should play differently from Frost and Fire, but still clearly be a Mage.
    I don't see how this goes against that.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
    Also, blizzard stated that they want pure dps class to have a unique feeling for each spec. Adding a bomb spell that has to be applied every 12 seconds to all three specs is a step in the wrond direction.

I would be fine with bombs if we could completly avoid them for single target rotation, use bombs on cleaving situations with 2 to 5 adds, and use arcane explosion for AoE fights with loads of adds.
    Arcane doesn't seem to benefit from the bomb spells though (except for movement/aoe).... Frost needs it for Brainfreeze procs, and Fire can use it for Combustion I think. So... yeah.

I know Frost gets Brain Freeze procs from bomb ticks but what bonus does Fire receive from having a bomb that Arcane does not?
    Remember, there is no longer a +% fire damage bonus tied to the spec and Combustion does not take any of the bombs into account, nor does Ignite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illunis View Post
    From what I saw they're adding in a new mechanic to arcane barrage. Making arcane blast and missiles build up its damage, then it breaking the stack, sort of like how arcane blast works now, except it would give you 2 stacks to track and such. Would definitely make it more interesting.

Tracking 1 dot
    2 debuffs
    Mana level
    Cooldown management.

Sounds pretty decent to me.

Also with the '0 base regen' deal in mists, its gonna be a LOT of short term CD management. I dunno, I'd say its best not to judge till its out.

Edit: Realized I didn't really post 'on the topic' so:

I feel like arcane getting a DoT is a fine thing, and I feel most specs will pick arcane bomb just due to its unlimited target cap. For PVE anyhow.
    Arcane Barrage and Arcane Missiles give the same stacking Arcane Charge. They aren't separate.

Cant wait, so over fire again. The bloody RNG is driving me nuts... bring the DOTS!!!!!