Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    What do you guys think about this:
    Flamethrower

The idea is to rack up as much toughness as possible through traits.
    The build has:
    +toughness/stability from using the flamethrower
    +toughness for every turret deployed
    +toughness for using an armed kit
    +permanent regeneration from using a kit
    +extra damage done for each boon you have, I'm hoping that the juggernaut trait will actually count as 1 or 2 boons when active along with the permanent regen boon, that could be a nice damage boost.

With a little tweaking one could also take the trait that makes you immune to conditions below 25% health, so all that toughness really comes to play.
    Last edited by Chronius; 2012-04-15 at 07:12 PM.

This thread hasn't been getting much love. I guess I'm not the only person that was having trouble making engineer builds off tooltips alone?

Despite what I just said I'm taking another shot at a build.

A fun pvp-ish build (WvW I guess)
    http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#e;fNp...aaa;Zaaa;bWVbY

Pretty much focused on long range combat and ranged turrets for damage along with the mortar elite for true long ranged hell. Pretty much made the build to control an area. And if turrets can shoot down keep walls in WvW it shall be glorious.

A gimmicky close ranged bomb/mine build
    http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#e;pfa...eWa;bYaa;ZSTQb

Not really a in your face build but more of a close ranged kiting build. Probably would only be good against melee focused players.

Opinions?
    Last edited by PonyCannon; 2012-04-21 at 05:11 AM.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Well, if you are going to be using explosives a lot in that bomb-build, isnt the trait "precise sights" a little redundant?

Nevermind. It stacks

10+ Year Old Account
    Just so you're all warned, if you select "Universal Multi-Tool" as your biography option, you'll be wearing a big backpack that will only disappear when you shoulder your weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Just so you're all warned, if you select "Universal Multi-Tool" as your biography option, you'll be wearing a big backpack that will only disappear when you shoulder your weapon.
    *eyes light up with absolute joy at this news* R-r-really!?! I might be the happiest panda in the world right now... first i receive news of being able to change your eye color now this!?! WOOT!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I hope it looks massive on an Asura

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    *eyes light up with absolute joy at this news* R-r-really!?! I might be the happiest panda in the world right now... first i receive news of being able to change your eye color now this!?! WOOT!
    Really? I'm dropping Universal Multi-Tool based on this , but to each his own...

Really? I'm dropping Universal Multi-Tool based on this , but to each his own...
    I understand how it could suck for somebody who doesn't actually always want a backpack. Honestly I may get sick of it after time so it's a good thing this is a beta so I can see how much I like the looks

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure you can remove it eventually lol, but yeah i was hoping i'd be able to have a packpack on the whole time so this is fantastic for me =D!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Now that the beta is coming to a close, I was curious as to what many of you thought about the engineer. Personally I had decided to make one first, just to test them out because I thought it would be that one profession I would never touch; then for some reason I fell in love with it and now am stuck between engineer and a guardian grr ><.

Anywho, I want to hear some opinions on the kits. I tried all of them in a structured pvp and they felt underwhelming, but that could also be me just sucking. For some reason I feel as if they will really shine in WvWvW where a couple of eng can toss out medkits and use the elixir gun.

Other then that I enjoyed myself and look forward to blowing things up come release.

Deleted
    The class feels unfinished what with the low damage output and the kits are mostly useless. I did play the class the most during the weekend and will probably by my first class I make on live cos it's just a lot of fun.

The biggest problem I had was that without my rocket turret my damage just felt too low, and just in general I felt kinda squishy.

I think they need to remove the CD if you pick up the turrets. I don't think that makes sense for it to go on a CD when you pick it up. Sure put it on a CD if it dies or if you detonate it...but why the hell do I need to wait a minute after picking it up?

Rocket Jump is the best thing ever. Disengage is my favorite WoW ability by a landlide, and the engineer's rocket jump is like a disengage*1000.

---------- Post added 2012-04-30 at 03:04 AM ----------

You'll be able to remove it I believe once we can actually equip cloaks, but I couldn't find a single cloak in the game during the BWE. Either way though, I chose goggles. >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Only lvl´d my engineer to about lvl 23 did a lot of pvping including WvW, the class is quite fun to play, though I always felt like I wasn´t doing a lot of dmg sure lots of utility but against a semi good thief I almost always got owned.
    Tried the thief class in order to find a good counter against them and the burst potential there is retarded if you line up your skill well enough your going in and out of stealth leaving the enemy unable to touch you, didnt get a lot of playtime in except on the engineer but even though I just made a thief it was suprisingly easy to kill ppl.
    But overall I did like the engineer profession and I will likely play it again in the next beta weekend.

Deleted
    I was playing engineer almost exclusively this weekend and at first, yeah, I was underwhelmed. But then I started to tinker with gear and trait - some time later I'm tearing people up.

In my setup I had 23,5k of HP and 76% chance to crit :P. Also I was using.. wait for it.. Bomb kit (with explo oriented traits) - never suspected this kit is soo effective. http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#e;ppa...aaa;Zaaa;ZTbia

Surprisingly, you are not loosing "that much" survivability if you choose to not place trait points in toughness or vitality - you can use proper gems and amulet to bring your HP back up to proper level.

I tried many builds, but almost every time I had to re-gem, re-rune, change sigils etc. I think people were dismissing the effect of those in beta and that's why see some skills/kits as underpowered. The impact of how well tailor your gear is huge, most builds are unplayable if not properly runed and gemed.

Deleted
    Just to clear things up. The backpack is an item equipped in your "back" slot. You can unequip it any time and i think it might be replaced with capes at higher lvls. But it should possible to transfer the backpack skin onto every "back" item if you don't want to lose it

Absolutely loved my time over the beta weekend playing as an Engineer. It feels like an amalgamation of a Warcraft Hunter and Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgreen View Post
    Just to clear things up. The backpack is an item equipped in your "back" slot. You can unequip it any time and i think it might be replaced with capes at higher lvls. But it should possible to transfer the backpack skin onto every "back" item if you don't want to lose it
    You can transfer the backpack look to other items! You buy transmogrify potions to use on items in the gem store for a small amount of gems - 5 potions for 125 gems I think which amounts to ~10-15 silver depending on the gem prices.

I too tried the Engineer for my beta experience. It was a fun class to play, but not without issues. Some kits are flat out underwhelming, and for pvp the pistols seem to be so much better then the rifle. Simply because the rifle doesnt do any debuffs. And to add to this, the pistols gain from the 5% dmg to bleeding targets perk almost guarenteed. The rifle does not. For pve it was fun and both worked just fine. But pvp i really noticed pistols being better.

Grenade kit was great, but for the bomb kit i found little practical use. Its definatly not a mainstream kit and maybe under specific circumstances and builds it will shine, but i didnt see it yet. Another thing i noticed, anoying as it was i reported it as a bug, when you set your 1 ability on a kit to autocast (one would do this for example for the Elixir gun) it doesnt remember this. Next time you equip the Elixir gun you have to set it again.

Also, i noticed atleast some kits dont work underwater. Maybe all, didnt get a chance to test. And also, i found the Engineers downed abilities underwhelming. The Throw Junk hardly ever put any good debuffs up and did F-all damage (gl killing anything and getting a Rally with that). Pulling someone to you might be usefull in some cases to help an ally. But you are basicly signing your own death sentence. And the bomb takes ages to become available and does unimressive damage to only those really close to you.
    Compared to other professions this is pretty underwhelming. Especially with the Thief and Warriors rediculously good downed state abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    I too tried the Engineer for my beta experience. It was a fun class to play, but not without issues. Some kits are flat out underwhelming, and for pvp the pistols seem to be so much better then the rifle. Simply because the rifle doesnt do any debuffs. And to add to this, the pistols gain from the 5% dmg to bleeding targets perk almost guarenteed. The rifle does not. For pve it was fun and both worked just fine. But pvp i really noticed pistols being better.

Grenade kit was great, but for the bomb kit i found little practical use. Its definatly not a mainstream kit and maybe under specific circumstances and builds it will shine, but i didnt see it yet. Another thing i noticed, anoying as it was i reported it as a bug, when you set your 1 ability on a kit to autocast (one would do this for example for the Elixir gun) it doesnt remember this. Next time you equip the Elixir gun you have to set it again.

Also, i noticed atleast some kits dont work underwater. Maybe all, didnt get a chance to test. And also, i found the Engineers downed abilities underwhelming. The Throw Junk hardly ever put any good debuffs up and did F-all damage (gl killing anything and getting a Rally with that). Pulling someone to you might be usefull in some cases to help an ally. But you are basicly signing your own death sentence. And the bomb takes ages to become available and does unimressive damage to only those really close to you.
    Compared to other professions this is pretty underwhelming. Especially with the Thief and Warriors rediculously good downed state abilities.
    In PVE the pistol also trumps the rifle, I routinely switched back and forth between rifle and pistol/pistol and pistol/shield and came to the conclusion that pistol/shield was the way to go. The rifle as you said really needs some bleeds.
    My personal most underwhelming kit has to be the flamethrower, if you don't plan on traiting for it then it is inferior to the grenade kit or my favourite the bomb kit =)
    My main setup for PVE was Pistol/Shield Healing turret, Gun turret, Rocket turret, Bomb kit(sometimes swapped this on bosses where it is a death sentence to use)
    The flame turret is awsome it actually applies a burn, however the turret is currently bugged and it vanishes after 10secs.
    Last edited by Chronius; 2012-04-30 at 10:56 AM.