Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    oh my,half the Engineers in-game will be Charrs. At least they are not Asuras

More Charrs are stilla victory to me :P

And while playing with the trait calc, i did this build for Eng. Feedback is always good
    http://www.gw2tools.com/calc/#t-e-pp...ZX.aaa.aaa.aaa

A minor victory for the Charr, Mif. But a victory still.

I feel like the engineer will be the hardest class to play well, with all the utility skills that change your weapons and the way the tool belt changes according to what utilities you have on your bar. It seems like you'll have to use a wide range of abilities to reach its full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I feel like the engineer will be the hardest class to play well, with all the utility skills that change your weapons and the way the tool belt changes according to what utilities you have on your bar. It seems like you'll have to use a wide range of abilities to reach its full potential.
    This. I fully expect there to be lots of engineers at release, then slowly people will be put off because of how many abilities they have. This will leave those of us that remain and play it well to stand out. Have always ended up playing the least popular/played classes and seems like the engineer will be that way also.

Edit: Not sure that post came out the way I wanted it to, but hopefully you guys/gals understand what I was meaning lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why wouldn't you play an Asura Engineer? Asura + Elixir S = Stealth mode

Drink Elixir S, shrinking yourself, recovering from stun and evading attacks.
    Mwahahaha

Was thinking of trying a support build for WvWvW but now that I've built it, it feels too turret reliant lol I do like the idea of ground targetted turret deployment for healing/thumper though.

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...itch=311971d31

http://www.gw2tools.com/calc/#t-e-fa...aa.dbX.efa.Vaa
    Last edited by sondok; 2012-02-29 at 11:02 PM.

So if you overcharge your turret, does it destroy it in the process also? Can't remember if I've seen anything about that or not.

Edit: Never mind, just went back and looked at the yogscast video again and it explained it.
    Last edited by zardon3001; 2012-02-29 at 11:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zardon3001 View Post
    So if you overcharge your turret, does it destroy it in the process also? Can't remember if I've seen anything about that or not.
    Overcharging doesn't destroy your turret, it's your toolbelt (function key) ability that destroys the turret.

Quote Originally Posted by sondok View Post
    Overcharging doesn't destroy your turret, it's your toolbelt (function key) ability that destroys the turret.
    Thanks. Looks like you responded just as I was editing my post. Love that the overcharge for thumper turret knocks everyone back, will be great for defending capture points.
    Last edited by zardon3001; 2012-03-01 at 12:04 AM.

I've been playing around a bit with this... http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en

It's so hard to decide what to use for utilities. There's so many cool things, I mean do I want to use the elixir gun, flamethrower, tool kit, bomb satchel, grenade satchel, mine kit, or do I want to use any of the several elixirs, then there's also the several turrets and gadgets that are available...

Maybe once I actually play it and I can see for myself how much damage everything does, and how long/beneficial some of the boons and conditions are, maybe then I can decide what to use for sure. Right now though it's just so hard...I guess that's one of the great things about the game though. I won't be just limited to always using certain utilities, and I can change them as needed for different situations, and the way the utilities work for this class just open up so many other possibilities.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-01 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I've been playing around a bit with this... http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...61b27i05f5uf8o

It's so hard to decide what to use for utilities. There's so many cool things, I mean do I want to use the elixir gun, flamethrower, tool kit, bomb satchel, grenade satchel, mine kit, or do I want to use any of the several elixirs, and then there's also the several turrets that are available...

Maybe once I actually play it and I can see for myself how much damage everything does, and how long/beneficial some of the boons and conditions are, maybe then I can decide what to use for sure. Right now though it's just so hard...I guess that's one of the great things about the game though. I won't be just limited to always using certain utilities, and I can change them as needed for different situations, and the way the utilities work for this class just open up so many other possibilities.
    Yes, like you I've been playing around with it a bit, it's very hard for me to come to a build that seems it would have a little of everything. But I do think I want to use a rifle mainly instead of pistol/shield, pistol/pistol. But yeah will be hard to really know until we get some good hands-on time. Feels good to have so much freedom though.

Right now I'm kinda thinking something like, the elixir gun, the mine kit, and then maybe like the rocket boots or the battering ram.

But then having a build focused on just turrets sounds like it'd be cool too, and I'd probably use the rocket, flame, and rifle turrets. Maybe the net turret depending on what I was doing, or maybe swap out the flame turret for the flame thrower. I think using the 3 attack turrets, the healing turret, and the supply crate, could be pretty powerful and then using a trait build like this... http://www.gw2tools.com/calc/#t-e-ap...ZX.YdW.aaa.Vaa

Then there's also the possibility of having an explosion based build with the mine, grenade, and bomb kits.

Or a support build based on elixirs...

So many possibilities!
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-01 at 03:42 AM.

This is what I've been looking at so far: http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...11j3020q000000

Think it gives me good offensive ability while also having some utility/defense via the healing turret to assist with heals and resurrecting w/ overcharge, thumper for defense, elixir r to help team mates or myself get out of trouble.

The elixir gun looks very interesting also...

Going to keep working this out and then need to start looking at traits.

I'm planning on this build, mostly for maximum survivability. Pistol/shield, with 3 turrets, including healing. Elixir Gun for support, as well as the talent that gives me defense with an armed kit and the one that gives regen with a kit on. Extra armor, regenerating, extra damaging turrets with the talent that gives me more defense the more turrets I have out.

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...alanapb1b4bfbl

I also have been playing with an explodey grenade build, a condition build and a boon/support build. This profession has sooooo many options, it's hard to choose.

Here's another one I built focused on the flamethrower and turrets, and extra protection while your turrets are down and the flamethrower equipped. I chose the rifle because of the net and the leap, since the flamethrower has a shorter range those abilities would help close the gap. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. I wish I could just test it in game instead of doing it all on pen and paper, but for now this is the best we have I guess lol

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...afalapb8bfblbm

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    No offense, but I believe it's utter trash that people can save up to 8 names. 1 or 2 would be great; even if it required people to be max level and finish all the campaigns I think it's pretty ridiculous. I have several names I want to use, but I know in GW1 they are taken. Guess I have to hope no one saved the names.

And no, I don't mean I saw some people in game and was like 'OH I want that name' and was planning to take it.
    they can save more than that depending on how many of the games you preordered (each preorder code gave an extra slot) and you can also purchase more slots, my account has 10. Just remember all saved names are at least 2 words, no one word names can be saved through HOM. Also like grugmuc said its a perc for being with the company before. There will still be plenty of decent names, particularly if you make an uncomon last name you can have almost any first name you want.

Back on topic though I'm expecting to make my engineer a sylvari, I seariously want to have a plant man with signs of burn scars totein around a flamethrower :P

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    I still don't get how bomb tool and grenade kit would be actually useful in combat, until I get get the game on my hands.

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...abacaeajaqarb5

So I'm trying my hand with the new version of the skill tool they just put out, and took a stab at making a very durable Pistol/Shield build that I think looks mighty fun. Using a net turret drops even more conditions on the target (plus immobilize will get synergy with traits to cripple the target as well), and skills allow me to have a target poisoned, bleeding, crippled, immobilized, and blinded all at the same time, increasing damage five times over with the Target the Weak trait.
    The rest of the traits largely went into providing intense durability for the Engineer. This is because I intend to somewhat game my own HP by allowing myself to dip to 75% frequently, so I can chain-pop Elixer B with both the utility skill and the trait.

Not entirely sure what to use for one of the utility skills though, have just put Personal Battering Ram there for now as it seems to be all around useful.

Any thoughts? :P

The weapon switch will be to med kit, by the way, so I can be a roving utility monster when I don't have to be taking or dishing out damage.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-03-01 at 05:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't like the fact that power is the bonus on the explosives line, and crit is the bonus on the firearms lines. They should be the other way around. As they are they keep killing my builds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry about the stats imo. They're more of a bonus than a requirement.

---------- Post added 2012-03-02 at 01:48 AM ----------

...Why does the second Downed ability pull an enemy to you?

Isn't that a bit counter-productive? I guess it could be useful if you plan to use the 3rd ability, but the point of "fight to survive" is to avoid death. ._.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.