Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Don't worry about the stats imo. They're more of a bonus than a requirement.

---------- Post added 2012-03-02 at 01:48 AM ----------

...Why does the second Downed ability pull an enemy to you?

Isn't that a bit counter-productive? I guess it could be useful if you plan to use the 3rd ability, but the point of "fight to survive" is to avoid death. ._.
    Thats what I thought as well. I believe in one of TB's videos with izzy i heard him say that interrupts the mechaninc for finishing you off.

---------- Post added 2012-03-02 at 04:53 AM ----------

Also quick question. In pvp can you switch out your utility skills on the fly. I saw people doing it in the hot join pvp, but will it be possible in tournament play?

Deleted
    Don't worry about the stats imo. They're more of a bonus than a requirement.
    Woah there cowboy! They are a requirement - well as long as you are planning on having a proper build.

It all depends on what is your goal. If you don't care about performance and don't feel bad when you are running something which is way less then optimal in PVE - go for it. But if you want best performance for PVP.. well you better watch where you are putting your traits as having +300 power and conditions that last 30% longer is a bonus you can't just ignore.

Again, it's all about what do you want to do. But in structured PVP, they've just limited my choices severely.

Why does the second Downed ability pull an enemy to you?

Isn't that a bit counter-productive? I guess it could be useful if you plan to use the 3rd ability, but the point of "fight to survive" is to avoid death. ._.
    Oh I don't know, maybe because you just planted a charge on yourself and want to finish off an enemy when you go down? The beauty of it is that you can use it to not only kill the guy who is trying to finish you off, but you can choose to grab a low HP enemy standing "over there" and take two down with you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Woah there cowboy! They are a requirement - well as long as you are planning on having a proper build.
    Depends on how many stat points you'll get from gear.

---------- Post added 2012-03-02 at 10:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Oh I don't know, maybe because you just planted a charge on yourself and want to finish off an enemy when you go down? The beauty of it is that you can use it to not only kill the guy who is trying to finish you off, but you can choose to grab a low HP enemy standing "over there" and take two down with you?
    Like I said, it's all about fighting to survive so you can rally, not going down in big glorious flames!

The Downed abilities for a Thief, for example:
    Throw a poisoned knife, stealth yourself, throw bouncing knives

Guardian:
    Cast a blinding ray of light, blind enemies and allied condition removal, a symbol that heals allies and burns foes

Hell, the Elementalist's third ability in fact causes him to gain a mobile mist form.

What I'm wondering is why the Engineer doesn't instead drop a turret that he can detonate. Or maybe drink Elixir S. :S
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-03-02 at 04:57 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Like I said, it's all about fighting to survive so you can rally, not going down in big glorious flames!
    You're not approaching Engineer right, then! Blow shit up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    You're not approaching Engineer right, then! Blow shit up.
    Throw grenades then.

Edit: But seriously, I get the idea of dropping bombs or mines while you're downed, especially if they will do knockback (that helps keep people from finishing you).
    I just don't like that two of the Engineer's three abilities when Downed are about accepting defeat.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-03-02 at 05:01 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Throw grenades then.

Edit: But seriously, I get the idea of dropping bombs or mines while you're downed, especially if they will do knockback (that helps keep people from finishing you).
    I just don't like that two of the Engineer's three abilities when Downed are about accepting defeat.
    I can see where you're coming from, yeah. If it makes surviving when Downed just way too difficult, I'm sure this'll be something that comes up a lot in the proper beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder which kits are armed and unarmed. O_o

I'm hoping grenade kit is unarmed...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still kinda confused about the toolkits and back pack things... Does it work like Elementalists with attunements, just based on your utility row or am I just way off base?

(My "not understanding" of the profession is the primary reason why I'm not all that interested in it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I can see where you're coming from, yeah. If it makes surviving when Downed just way too difficult, I'm sure this'll be something that comes up a lot in the proper beta.
    Well a suicide isnt very tempting. Sure it can be usefull under certain circumstances, but not as much as fighting to actually stay alive. If it was a bomb that just explodes without taking you down great. But now i understand its a kamikaze kinda deal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    I'm still kinda confused about the toolkits and back pack things... Does it work like Elementalists with attunements, just based on your utility row or am I just way off base?

(My "not understanding" of the profession is the primary reason why I'm not all that interested in it.)
    First, every skill you slot into 6 through 9 will give you another skill on your toolbelt, no matter what kind it is.

Second, your kits are utility skills that you toggle on. So you basically trade a utility skill for the ability to get an extra weapon. Of course, weapons can often have some useful utility yourself, so I think not picking a kit at all can be a bad thing... it's kinda a main Engi mechanic.

Though, I have been tempted to make an all-turret Engineer.

Deleted
    I wonder which kits are armed and unarmed. O_o

I'm hoping grenade kit is unarmed...
    Armed: Elixir Gun, Flamethrower, Tool Kit. Unarmed: the rest =]. And yes, not taking a kit can create less flexible build.

I have engineer pretty much wrapped up, but I'm still not 100% sure about turrets. It seems that you can have only one active turret out (you can't for example set up flame and rocket turret at the same time), BUT I could swear I saw a video with healing turret and rifle turret out. So it seems, turrets are divided in to two categories: support and damage. You can have healing turret and rocket turret out, but not rifle and flame etc. Now the question is: is net turret counted as support?

Anyone have some good videos regarding that? I would love to have some more details on this.
    Last edited by mmocbaf9e94c6f; 2012-03-02 at 06:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Decided this is the build I like best.

Decided I'd rather be able to cripple with my wrench instead of run faster. Especially if my tool belt wrench-toss skill will also apply the cripple. I imagine traits will change a lot, but I doubt I'll go too deep into Alchemy or Inventions regardless of what is changed. Chose Rocket Turret primarily because I'm hoping that it's damage counts as explosions.

Impossible to say how ill play without playing and experience. The wording on some abilities and traiths are rather open to interpretation or vague on the numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is my Engineer build. I tried to make it match my playstyle and preferences as much as possible. And also i tried to maximize the damage and utility as much as i can, but it will probably change when i get my hands on either the beta if im so lucky or the final game on release.

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...a09s9va1abacb5
    Last edited by Harry Botter; 2012-03-04 at 12:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

You don't have a bomb or mine kit, but you chose the increase bomb/mine radius. Interesting.

Deleted
    Tbh i rather like Elixir X.

Imagine that it's the final battle in a WvW or a battle for kylo (prob misspelled that.) Lots of dead bodies around, and there's only two guys left, let's say a mesmer, and the engineer. They both have very little hp, but both know that they have an equal chance of winning, and before that glorious moment of the final battle, the engineer pulls forth his Elixir X. What if it becomes something useless and he loses? What if he turns into a raging tornado?

Engineer is a sick profession! an obscene amount of customization. Can't wait to play it and figure out what I like most (good 'ol' trial and error)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spbzilla View Post
    You don't have a bomb or mine kit, but you chose the increase bomb/mine radius. Interesting.
    I have the bomb satchel kit as the second weapon choice you see when you click on the link.
    Last edited by Harry Botter; 2012-03-04 at 12:35 AM. Reason: said wrong weapon slot in original post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I have the bomb satchel kit as the second weapon choice you see when you click on the link.
    You don't get a second weapon choice as an Engineer. You can only use the Bomb Kit if you pick it as a utility skill. The only kit you have that you can equip is the Grenade Kit, since you slotted that into #8.

Engineers do not get a weapon swap, that calculator is a little bit weird.