Let's talk about Sundering Strike

Is there a reason why this skill has an cooldown?
    Having to use both Sundering Strike and Strike feels kinda clunky for a rather low reward.

Also, want to by a new Running Animation while 2-handing my lightsaber and cloaks which could be weared OVER utility belt~

Deleted
    It is because of the armor reduction more than anything I believe.
    I am not sure why, but I guess staggering the armor debuff making it take ages to get to 5 stacks is what they wanted.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think that is probably has more to do with being able to apply two stacks at once if specced correctly.

In the first tier of the tank tree, you can spend 2 talent points to get a 3rd focus out of sunderstrike on each attack. In the first tier of the non-shared DPS tree, you can use 2 talent points to get an extra stack of sundering on the target each time you hit them with sunderingstrike.

This right here is why they need to pace the speed at which you can use this ability.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karshtakavaar View Post
    In the first tier of the tank tree, you can spend 2 talent points to get a 3rd focus out of sunderstrike on each attack.
    Ah, that as well. I'd forgotten about the force building component on SS. It's been a while since I played my JG.

Deleted
    This is something I've pondered too and it does seem unnecessary. On the other hand it's quite easy to work around the 5 sec cooldown with the right spec.

In fact, most DPS rotations try to work around the 5 second SS cooldown since it deals significantly more damage than regular Strike. I don't even have regular Strike bound anymore and I assume few others do.

Still, removing the CD is one of the most commonly requested QoL changes for Guardians/Juggernauts.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    This is something I've pondered too and it does seem unnecessary. On the other hand it's quite easy to work around the 5 sec cooldown with the right spec.

In fact, most DPS rotations try to work around the 5 second SS cooldown since it deals significantly more damage than regular Strike. I don't even have regular Strike bound anymore and I assume few others do.

Still, removing the CD is one of the most commonly requested QoL changes for Guardians/Juggernauts.
    Wait, I'm confused, how do you do a rotation without strike? SS does not give you enough rage to sustain a rotation without missing GCD's. Why wouldn't you strike in those GCD to build more rage? Even using free cooldowns like ravage/force choke, I can't see how you would have the rage to fill up every GCD with SS only.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not mind having SS on a cooldown but it does make threat a problem when you have to use strike. If strike received extra threat on top of the modifier from the tanking form (cant remember if it is 50 or 60%) like a additional 20% or so then it would be fine.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    I think that is probably has more to do with being able to apply two stacks at once if specced correctly.
    grav round can apply 2 stacks at once, and counts for a entire raid. It has a 1.5 sec cast, and a travel time of about .1-.2 seconds, but 1.7 < 4 sec.

because you get guardian slash too, which adds 3 stacks, so 1st push get 2 stacks, 2nd push, you get 5 stacks.

Really in 2 GCD's you put 5 stacks of sunder on a target.

Thats faster then wow did with 5 stacks.

Whats the complaint?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    Wait, I'm confused, how do you do a rotation without strike? SS does not give you enough rage to sustain a rotation without missing GCD's. Why wouldn't you strike in those GCD to build more rage? Even using free cooldowns like ravage/force choke, I can't see how you would have the rage to fill up every GCD with SS only.
    Obviously it depends on the spec you're playing but so far neither Vigilance nor Focus consume that much Focus that you need Strike to fill gaps.

5 points in the Defense tree are almost mandatory though as they grant you a free Blade Storm after every Charge and Zealous Leap (very useful for Focus spec) and 2 points into Victory Rush that make Sundering Strike generate 1 more Focus.

Add some passive Focus generation depending on your Saber Stance and you shouldn't be consuming more Focus than you are generating within 3 global cooldown between 2 sundering Strikes. If you do find yourself focus starved you still have "Combat Focus" to fall back on for an instant +6-8 Focus.

Just try it out in practice and remember to use Saber Throw on a regular basis.

Deleted
    Sundering Strike as well as Strike are mandatory in your rotation. Vengeance generates more rage in general than Rage (pun intended). Now, don't only see Strike as a dpsing ability. First of all it generates rage and rage means dps. And for burst you need to keep you rage over 6. Especially during the termination phase when you use the Vicious Throw, Strike becomes a major part of your rotation, making it a priority over most of your abilities.
    Last edited by mmoc1ae3a36840; 2012-02-15 at 11:52 AM.

The CD is in place because it applies a debuff AND does more damage than strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulljin View Post
    Is there a reason why this skill has an cooldown?
    Having to use both Sundering Strike and Strike feels kinda clunky for a rather low reward.

Also, want to by a new Running Animation while 2-handing my lightsaber and cloaks which could be weared OVER utility belt~
    The ability system is clunky and hobbled by too many abilities with too many of those blocked by cool downs. If anything the game is far too much like RIFT but without a good macro system letting you stack abilities.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

As a vigilance JK you should be replacing regular strikes with running out and leaping back in, then focus dumping when leap is on cooldown.
    Divine, Unmarred and Electrified
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Demaio/simple
    Retired(ish)