Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Co-op games for the PC.

So, my girl and I recently decided to take a break on WoW, since our raid team fell apart and we're both too busy to look for a new one. We're both hardcore gamers and we've been burning some serious time on Skyrim, but we miss playing together. While most games have a decent versus mode, it's quite hard to find one with a meaty co-op option.

We'll play pretty much any genre of game, as long as it's good. Last thing we played was the Portal 2 co-op (which was incredibly fun), and we've been playing Left 4 Dead 2 from time to time too, though having to drag two stupid bots along kinda ruins the experience. I had a good bunch of people suggesting that we get Borderlands.

Any recommendations from MMO-Champion?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 2? I know its an oldie, but its a goodie =)
    Diablo 3 when it comes out should be entertaining, also Borderlands 2 comes out soon, and the first game is a good co-op game.
    Konviction - Execute - Smolderthorn

Quote Originally Posted by Konviction View Post
    Diablo 2? I know its an oldie, but its a goodie =)
    Diablo 3 when it comes out should be entertaining, also Borderlands 2 comes out soon, and the first game is a good co-op game.
    We're definitely getting Diablo 3 when it comes out. Though, seeing how Blizz is taking their time, the world might end before that.

Me and my kids play the Serious Sam series. It is pretty mindless shooting, but thats whats fun about it :-) We picked it up when it was on sale on steam.

Deleted
    Borderlands is a great shout, it's tons of fun.

Hmm, other recommendations .. Saints Row the Third? .. If you're unfamiliar with the Saints Row games, imagine a more comedy GTA .. but Co-Op.

A budget option: Killing Floor is on offer on Steam at the moment for £2.24. It doesn't shine on metacritic, but you can't argue with cheap.

Oh, and Mass Effect 3 is due out in early march and that will have Co-Op too.

(Obligatory Minecraft recommendation too)

I forgot Dead Island! .. we had fun with that too.
    Last edited by mmoc6031c9b2d0; 2012-02-15 at 08:58 PM.

Torchlight 2 when it comes out. Sanctum is great fun. Portal 2 Co-op is a blast (EDIT: I see you've played that!). DEFCON, Dungeon Defenders, Jamestown are all recommended. And of course, another +1 for Borderlands.

NB: These are all available on Steam
    Last edited by Janaa; 2012-02-15 at 09:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

There is also Magicka, really inexpensive & controller compatible if you enjoy that play. The story line is comical, and the game gives you plenty of opportunity to blow each other up with its crazy magic system. My hubby & I enjoy it between solo games, so hard to find decent couch co-ops these days. Best of luck in your search

We played a bit of Dungeon Defenders yesterday. Quite fun, but the servers cannot handle the slightest lag spike.

Deleted
    League of Legends and Magicka are kinda fun With LoL though, you can't really play you vs something and will have to put up with 1-3 randoms in your team.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    League of Legends and Magicka are kinda fun With LoL though, you can't really play you vs something and will have to put up with 1-3 randoms in your team.
    Yea, that's probably Lol's biggest drawback... having to put up with randoms. 4/5 games you will meet at least 1 asshole on either team...

EDIT: Kinda forgot to add my point. If you're looking to have fun, especially if you are two people, _do_not_play_lol_.
    Not for the purpose of co-op, anyway.
    If you don't have a full premade, you'll often end up being extremely frustrated with people, and i can't imagine that's what you were looking for .p

Someone suggested Magicka, and since updates and bugfixes, it's become quite fun, reccommended!

GL
    Last edited by mmocd37cb64f78; 2012-02-16 at 10:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dungeon Defenders is an addictive little third person action game/tower defense game with great co-op.
    Killing Floor is a great Co-op game though best with 6 people.
    Payday: the Heist fun LFD type shooter with objectives rather than just simply running.
    Trine 1/2 are great action/platformers with well done co-op.
    The Saint's Row series is a fun Gta clone with a fun co-op, second one definitely much better and a lot cheaper.
    Dustforce is a fun platformer with co-op as well.
    The Haunted Hells reach, mindless little horde mode type game, can be fun with friends.
    RE5 was definitely a rather good co-op game.
    Dead Island is really only fun when playing co-op.
    Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, if you like "realistic" shooters, this is one of the better ones.
    Transformers War for Cybertron, fun third person shooter with great co-op.

Those are the only ones I've played specifically on PC.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-02-16 at 10:21 AM.

Payday : The Heist is quite a fun 4 player co-op game in the mold of L4D. But instead of killing zombies, you're doing things like robbing the bank and killing cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivara View Post
    There is also Magicka, really inexpensive & controller compatible if you enjoy that play. The story line is comical, and the game gives you plenty of opportunity to blow each other up with its crazy magic system. My hubby & I enjoy it between solo games, so hard to find decent couch co-ops these days. Best of luck in your search
    Only issue I have with Magicka is it is a great game with multiple people, but if your wanting to play a game while your friend/GF/Wife/Arch neimisis/etc are at work/school/etc it is not very fun to play solo.

As for fun multiplayer games it just really depends on what you like, there are tons of non online games that have fun multiplayer as well as many online ones, if your looking for consoly Action RPG MMO DCUO is pretty fun to screw around in, controls alright with keyboard but was definitely designed with controller in mind but if your looking for hardcore raids don't bother its a casual game but you can play for free. If your looking more like a traditional PC RPGMMO DDO is pretty fun and can be totally free as well, all your quests are dungeons and how you get through them depends on what stats of which toons you bring in to them are.

As for non MMOs there are way to many to bother listing, just depends on what you like, FPS, RPG, racing, platformers, etc etc. Sacntum is a fun tower defense game where depending on game mode you build the maze the land waves have to go through and what not, Magicka is another good multiplayer game, Brink is pretty fun, its a multiplayer class based FPS (like TF2) but with objectives. Any of the Worms series is pretty fun multiplayer, but thats more of a party game. Trine 2, which is well Lost Vikings but with a real physics engine so more complex puzzles. Darkspore is another one that I find is pretty fun. And lots of these are fairly cheap.

All in all its all personal preference, I know I have my days where I want a game that is aggravatingly hard to have a challenge learning the tricks, and other days I want something just screw around destroying stuff just to destroy stuff, and other days where I want a Puzzle game, and others Action RPGs, and others Turn based RPGs. But what you and your wife may love to play be what 95% of people here may dislike with a vengeance. Besides mechanical issues with games what is good and what isn't is mostly subjective at the end of the day and to each his own.

Edit:
    The main issue is most co-op games are not really designed around "hardcore", at least with DDO since each quest/dungeon has like 4 or 5 difficulty settings, if you want a harder challenge then the game defaultly offers you can do things like set it to a difficulty designed for 4 players but go in with only 2 (given that none of the puzzles in that quest/dungeon require 4 people to do such as stand on 3 pressure pads while having the 4th jump around fire and spike traps to reach the lever to allow the other 3 safe passage)
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2012-02-16 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Deleted
    I really liked Jamestown co-op. It's an indie game, I think totalbiscuit has a 'wtf is' on it if you're interested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Magicka, Dungeon Defenders, Heroes of Might & Magic 6

Deleted
    Dead island is pretty fun in multiplayer.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was going to suggest Left4dead as well, but you're already interested in that. I'd be a 3rd if you want. I'm usually bored.

Deleted
    I know this is gonna sound weird, but my Girlfriend and I are quite weird. We began playing World of Tanks together. It's extremely simple 15vs15 instant pvp using tanks but more importantly, the game heavilly empathizes on teamplay. The best teamplayers usually wins which also means, unlike many MMO games, there's very little whining and 'i am better than you' attitude, because most of the time, the board shows exactly weither that player is or not, and even if he is, you're just working on getting the same tank as him to become just as good or better.

It's relatively easy to learn, hard to master game with a cute layer of history attatched and hours of fun. Oh, and it's free to download and free to play. My girlfriend and I LOVE it! =D

Borderlands - excellent in Co-Op - first person diablo-esque/ish game
    Fear 3 - pretty decent co-op experience - horror/survival story
    Dungeon Siege III - dungeon crawler - only played this coop on the xbox, but there is a pc coop as well I believe, which was pretty fun.
    Youtube Gaming Channel - TheRamblerz. The Best Variety Gaming Channel in this Signature!

i7 2600k (Overlocked to 4.4ghz) ; Asus P8Z68 V-Pro ; 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    2x GTX 570 EVGA Classified - SLI ; 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD; 2x 500GB Seagate HDD in Raid 0