Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Something I just noticed that I'm not too sure about... Entrapment is an automatic passive for Survival. Aren't there times when this could actually be a bad thing? I want to say there is, but I can't think of an example offhand...

Like in a potential situation where you need to move an add from point A to B, but it still needs to be slowed?
    Well if that's a crucial part of a boss-mechanic, they'll probably make them immune to snares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

I don't know squat about PvP and I won't pretend I do, but couldn't it be an unwanted root there sometimes ? Mostly thinking about the DR timers and especially snake trap proccing entrapment just as much as frost trap does.
    In Soviet Russia, you loot to raid.

Hippa

Direct damage is damage is you take directly from the boss/mob, most damage you will take in a raid will not be direct damage, and Spirit Bond will be better unless there is a certian fight where you are taking tons of direct damage. Direct damage and damage are completely different things

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Direct damage is damage is you take directly from the boss/mob, most damage you will take in a raid will not be direct damage, and Spirit Bond will be better unless there is a certian fight where you are taking tons of direct damage. Direct damage and damage are completely different things
    I know that's the common understanding. But if you had read the thread, or at least some recent posts, you would have read that someone pointed out the paladin talent http://www.wowhead.com/spell=31829 "Blessed Life" says "You have a 100% chance to gain a charge of Holy Power whenever you take direct damage. "

Direct damage. Yet still. It can proc from AoE. Depends on the spell, but it does. So, to conclude: We don't know yet how Iron Hawk will perform. Just trust a fellow forum-goer from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepfriedegg View Post
    I am sooo interested in how exactly will Black Arrow work. They obviously come with some new trajectory shot system for MoP seeing how some new abilities work (Glaive Toss or Divine Star for paladins is another example). It is entirely possible that Black Arrow will "pierce" through current target and contionue hitting everything in its 40yd path. Even if it turns out to be the more obvious option (i.e. hitting everything between the hunter and his current target, I am still curious how this will work out in those situations where the targeted dragon swings his head and you see how trajectories of all "misiles" heading towards its head are now bending. I am very, very curious and cant wait to get to beta

Overall, even though it is far from finished, these talents look nice to me.

I reckon its a modified version of the mages fire orb with things changed such as target required=yes, projectile speed +x%, AoE range=3-5 yards

For glaive toss theyd have to have an extra piece of code for it to return and (hopefully) make it a non targeted ability (place target reticle on ground).

(and yes I know im way oversimplifying how coding works computer guys, dont get your knickers in a knot over it).

---------- Post added 2012-02-21 at 11:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Something I just noticed that I'm not too sure about... Entrapment is an automatic passive for Survival. Aren't there times when this could actually be a bad thing? I want to say there is, but I can't think of an example offhand...
    Simple fix rather than making it a choosable talent would be to add a minor glyph that turns off entrapment I guess?
    Last edited by DarkPhoenix; 2012-02-21 at 12:20 AM.

As many have said, the 'direct' part isn't exactly as clear as it could be.

Let's take yor'sahj as an example. The green ooze's aoe is sort of targeted, it hits X amount of people every time. If you're close to someone who gets hit you get splashed. Now unless I'm wrong, the first one would count as "direct" damage whereas the second one would not. Morchok's black blood -aoe would not count as direct damage, it is not a targeted ability. Hagara's lightning phase and the linking damage on the other hand most likely would be direct damage.

This is how I've at least understood it, and assuming I'm correct, I'd pick iron hawk any day over spirit bond in their current forms if I had no idea of the specific mechanics of a boss.
    In Soviet Russia, you loot to raid.

Hippa

Hm, this means no entrapment as MM anymore; might not be that nice for pvp, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Arhippa View Post
    As many have said, the 'direct' part isn't exactly as clear as it could be.

Let's take yor'sahj as an example. The green ooze's aoe is sort of targeted, it hits X amount of people every time. If you're close to someone who gets hit you get splashed. Now unless I'm wrong, the first one would count as "direct" damage whereas the second one would not. Morchok's black blood -aoe would not count as direct damage, it is not a targeted ability. Hagara's lightning phase and the linking damage on the other hand most likely would be direct damage.

This is how I've at least understood it, and assuming I'm correct, I'd pick iron hawk any day over spirit bond in their current forms if I had no idea of the specific mechanics of a boss.
    As I see it. That is correct.

Blood Beasts on Saurfang for example. Not sure about those slimes on Omnotron defense. If rooted, did they explode the nearest person that was in their melee range?

---------- Post added 2012-02-21 at 11:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Draeblin View Post
    Hm, this means no entrapment as MM anymore; might not be that nice for pvp, is it?
    Youll have Binding Shot for PvP

---------- Post added 2012-02-21 at 11:56 AM ----------

Iron Hawk vs. Spirit Bonds.

Take Morchok as an example. Direct Damage is Crystal explosion, indirect is Stomp.
    Using Spirit Bond with 170K health you would heal 10.5K in 15 seconds between each Stomp.
    Using Iron Hawk you would reduce 15% from roughly 64K damage (heroic), which is 9.5K damage.
    That is roughly the same but take into account that you might be using Fox aspect when near crystal which is lowering effectiveness of Iron Hawk

Take Yorsahj:
    Iron Hawk would help you on red, black and green. Indirectly on purple
    Spirit Bond would help on purple.
    Iron Hawk is a winner

Take Ultraxion:
    There is no direct damage so Ironhawk is useless
    Spirit Bond is a clear winner here

What is the point of my post? Well, only to show that there is not a clear winner for PvE in this tier and there are more factors than just 2%HP each 5 seconds vs 15% damage reduction...

What would be nice was a glyph that reduces deterrence CD by 50s/60s, leaves the -30% dmg but removes the invincible component - so you can attack while using your CD like the other classes.

there's no way levels 30, 45, and 60 will stay as it is now

except for iron hawk, they're all boring talents we have now

wtb new cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post

One thing people have to keep in mind: Blizzard is probably going to design encounters with the new talents in mind. We may think "oh Black Ice won't be useful in PVE", and then there's a fight with a fixate mechanic you want to run from that Black Ice works perfectly with.
    Isnt that exactly what they DONT want to do? making cookie cutter talents so everyone is basically forced to take them?

Quote Originally Posted by Crooklyn View Post
    there's no way levels 30, 45, and 60 will stay as it is now

except for iron hawk, they're all boring talents we have now

wtb new cool stuff
    Some people will simply not stop whining... It is hard to please a person who finds every single talent boring - except for the one that gives passive damage reduction. Yeah, because passive "abilities" are so much fun to use, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    Isnt that exactly what they DONT want to do? making cookie cutter talents so everyone is basically forced to take them?
    I think they'd not do this for a different reason: they don't want hunters to be a required class to down a boss, since, afaik, no one will have near the same kiting abilities hunters will.

Deleted
    I'm assuming "Direct Damage" is everything except DoTs.
    Is it just me?

Most of the talents don't look particularly interesting to me, except the final tier. AWESOMENESS ALL ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by HerpenDerpen View Post
    I'm assuming "Direct Damage" is everything except DoTs.
    Is it just me?
    As far as I know AoE is not considered direct damage either.

I was under the impression direct damage means anything cast or targeted directly at you, i.e.DoTs, spells, and melee attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepfriedegg View Post
    As far as I know AoE is not considered direct damage either.
    Some AoE's-Specifically "Multi-target" spells can be Direct Damage

is it only me or does binding shot looks very strong for PVE if the dmg increase works on bosses it's a free 15% DPS increase.