Poll: how big is guild wars 2 compared to wow

Thread: world size

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Vanguard as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Very much doubt however GW2 will be larger than all of Azertoh, Outland and Northrend combined as one poster claimed.
    I still stand by it. if I would have any photoshop skills (I'm a coder :P) I would create small comparison, maybe I will ask my better half for some assistance with it...

That seems sorta impossible for a launch game.
    Well, I'm actually surprised to see that coming from you oO. Creating large world is dead easy, current developer tools allow for rapid deployment of any kind of surface with realistically placed foliage, trees or even rivers. You can specify so many additional factors like: type of terrain, season or "theme" - click, map is ready. The only "slowdown" is in the content and putting the zones together...

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    I still stand by it. if I would have any photoshop skills (I'm a coder :P) I would create small comparison, maybe I will ask my better half for some assistance with it...

Well, I'm actually surprised to see that coming from you oO. Creating large world is dead easy, current developer tools allow for rapid deployment of any kind of surface with realistically placed foliage, trees or even rivers. You can specify so many additional factors like: type of terrain, season or "theme" - click, map is ready. The only "slowdown" is in the content and putting the zones together...
    Well I did say;

Come to think of it, it's much easier to design large game worlds now than back when old world WoW was created.
    So I do believe it is far easier to create a large game world than 12 years ago- populating and providing content in a world greater in size than all of World of Warcraft out the gate seems... unlikely.

Perhaps impossible is the wrong term though. Strike it.

It's not a fair comparison, WOW & Nightfall. You can't travel continuously through Nightfall or explore all the landmass. Nightfall is just connected fishbowl zones. Nightfall might be mapped larger, but it's smaller to the player in-game than walking from east to west in Northrend or north to south in Kalimindor.
    I have explorer titles in GW1 up to and including nightfall as well as WoW in both wotlk and cataclysm (i.e. full exploration of all zones).

WoW is at least several times bigger then GW1 in my experience in terms of world size. That said, when it came to beautiful scenery, GW1 leaves pretty much every game I've ever played in dust. It's a shame that much of it was off the beaten quest/mission paths.

Yea, I have 100% Cartographer on 3 accounts in GW1. I know the game rather well.

Tera and Aion are still the best game worlds I ever seen in an MMO.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-02-18 at 11:48 PM.

People saying there is no mounts in game, but you can teleport in places once you have been discovered them? Like in Skyrim, teleporting made world feel so much smaller. Or am I just missing something here?

No mounts. Just map way points you fast travel to. Like Indiana Jones or The Muppets; Travel by Map.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like Indiana Jones or The Muppets; Travel by Map.
    Ahaha, love it. Conjured up a mental image right away. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    So I was just wondering, how big is the world compared to Azeroth, Outlands or dont we know yet?

If Azeroth/Outlands were 5 on a scale of 1-10 what would guild wars 2 be?
    Why is there 1-10 but no "Not enough Info" option? In beta you may not have access to all the zones, so trying to compare sizes at this point is like a blind person trying to compare color swatches, or a deaf person trying to compare musical ranges. Without having the game live you can not guess the size, and even then you don't know if you can judge by seeing size of a zone and then comparing that zone to rest of world map because you may have either invisible walls in places that makes a zone not as large as the map, instanced areas that add size that are not on the map, or multiple layers (like caves) that increase size.

Either way wither its larger or smaller should not matter at all, what should matter is the content put in.

This video kinda gives you an idea how large some of the areas are as he pans around to show the scenery.

I think it's gonna be pretty damn big.

Also keep in mind that (AFAIK) we only get to play in the Tyria (continent) when the game is released. There are still 2 other known continents and and an unknown number of other lands on Tyria (planet).

Deleted
    Is gonna be dahm huge, that's all I know. Lot bigger than WoW.
    Last edited by mmoca41f9fd4de; 2012-03-05 at 06:31 AM.

This is the WvW map, pretty large for a pvp area. http://i.imgur.com/aTJ0L.jpg

The world in Guild Wars today is massive, but I would argue that it's too large. Everything is instanced, which is great for performance (the client doesn't need to read a billion things miles off = graphics go way up) and gameplay (no respawns = no spawn camping/kill stealing/etc), but there's also no mounts of any kind, no flight, and no real way to explore the world besides running through it and killing everything in your way. I've gotten more than a small amount of cartography done by vanquishing areas, and let me tell you, when you're searching that last pack of enemies at the end of an hour long seek-and-destroy mission, the scenery gets less and less interesting - which is a shame, because it's the big areas such as the Southern Shiverpeaks that got the most attention. GW2's movement "engine" (for lack of a better word) is much more robust, but I hope they remember the issues from GW (and add incentives to explore the world that don't end in annoying you so much you don't want to explore the world any more).

Tera and Aion are still the best game worlds I ever seen in an MMO.
    Atreia, really? Bits and pieces of Veteron were gorgeous, but other than that, no way.

Telara was awesome, IMO (btw, for those who don't know, that's Rift's setting), I still love my screens of Silverwood and Moonshade Highlands. It also felt alive, the dynamic events made things always change and, well, differ from other MMOs. It's why I'm so hyped about GW2! Telara is the perfect case-and-point to the 'it doesn't have to be a massive world' argument, as they packed that place FULL of awesome.

Azeroth just feels too cartoony anymore, and to top it off, I'm starting to really miss the GOOD Azeroth, you know...pre-Cata?!

If you're going for sheer size of the landmass, Minecraft's map is the biggest. Ever. Yeah I went there. You say MC isn't an MMO? Well, seems GW1 was a 'co-RPG,' so, yeah......

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    Check about 2:46

Also... check WvW blog post and what they say about map
    My mind.. blown.

Can we please have mounts? Pretty please? D: Or speed boosts when out of combat D:..

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    This is the WvW map, pretty large for a pvp area. http://i.imgur.com/aTJ0L.jpg
    this deserves a

Holy F3ck

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    hmm going by how big GW:nightfall was compared to Vanilla WoW (almost double size) i would say, compared to todays WoW, GW2 will be even bigger in land size

Full map of Tyria - http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/2/2...oBG_Medium.jpg

Now if they really allow us to free roam everywhere in GW2, i think its pretty "Massive" as they keep saying ^^
    It's even bigger than that.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...0d5a70c2c1.jpg

See on the side GW1? I'm not sure how large GW2 will be in comparison (probably a lot larger when expansions start to roll out), but it's definitely gonna be way bigger than WoW's world.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by nighties View Post
    My mind.. blown.

Can we please have mounts? Pretty please? D: Or speed boosts when out of combat D:..
    You do get speed boosts out of combat.