Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Prot War Rotation

Can someone tell me the standard prot war rotation at 85? Thanks.

(Rend)Thunderclap>Revenge>Shield Slam>Devastate and Heroic Strike when above 70 rage is pretty standard

Deleted
    Single target priority:

Shield Slam on CD
    Revenge on CD
    Devastate when the above 2 are not available
    Heroic Strike when above 50 rage
    Add rend if you want, keep it refreshed with Thunder Clap

Multi target priority:

Thunder Clap
    Shockwave
    Rend + thunderclap (you can start with this if DPSers wait for a second or two before you actually get them all)
    Tab target ,depending on your fellow DPSers going wild on other targets, following single target priority in between

10+ Year Old Account
    Mest has a great guide on the website if you'd like a more in depth guide to playing a prot warrior http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...elines-and-FAQ

rend -> thunderclap -> jump around till thunderclap is off CD -> thunderclap
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulwarked View Post
    (Rend)Thunderclap>Revenge>Shield Slam>Devastate and Heroic Strike when above 70 rage is pretty standard
    On single target, i wouldnt start with rend, Shieldslam first, and unless its aoe you wouldnt followup with tclap and revenge is behind shield slam.

---------- Post added 2012-02-16 at 03:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    rend -> thunderclap -> jump around till thunderclap is off CD -> thunderclap
    Not even a funny troll...
    Last edited by mmoc51f27689b0; 2012-02-16 at 02:31 PM.

May I inquire ass to why use heroic strike? Devastate has the same CD and rage cost, but does more damage on top of stacking sunder armor. I haven't used heroic strike since 60. Now, granted, my prot warrior is the most recent of my 85's, which is why I am curious on why more expirienced warriors use heroic strike.

heroic strike isn't on the gcd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    May I inquire ass to why use heroic strike? Devastate has the same CD and rage cost, but does more damage on top of stacking sunder armor. I haven't used heroic strike since 60. Now, granted, my prot warrior is the most recent of my 85's, which is why I am curious on why more expirienced warriors use heroic strike.
    Heroic strike does not have gcd, its a rage dump, which you will have plenty of (and waste) if you dont heroic strike, add incite to the mix and its usually 2nd/3rd for dps done.
    If you dont use heroic strike, your seriosuly doing it wrong and need to change it

10+ Year Old Account
    May I inquire as to why use heroic strike? Devastate has the same CD and rage cost, but does more damage on top of stacking sunder armor. I haven't used heroic strike since 60. Now, granted, my prot warrior is the most recent of my 85's, which is why I am curious on why more expirienced warriors use heroic strike.
    You're referring to the pre-cata HS? Or I've misread what you were implying.
    HS has a 3 sec CD and costs 30 rage, while devastate costs 15 rage and is on the GCD.

In a nutshell, use HS when you hit 65 rage, besides that you should be keep Shield Slam and Revenge on CD and use Devastate when both are on CD.

its free and a rage dump. use it and love it.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    No sunder armor?
    Devastate applies sunder armor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Single target priority:

Shield Slam on CD
    Revenge on CD

Multi target priority:

Thunder Clap
    Shockwave
    Rend + thunderclap (you can start with this if DPSers wait for a second or two before you actually get them all)
    Tab target ,depending on your fellow DPSers going wild on other targets, following single target priority in between
    Pretty much this. Just wanted to add this: When fighting a pack where one them may silence or stun (the packs in End Time come to mind) I usually start with charge and Shockwave. If I'm fast enough I can stun them first then I go about my rotation.

Deleted
    Don't really know what to answer to this. You haven't payed any attention to your War in a very very long time for sure.
    Perhaps even since lvl 60 ? Yes, in Vanilla HS was pretty optional and far from being a necessity. But well, that was 6 years ago, things have evolved today.

As a Prot War, as long as you have 50+ rage, HS/Cleave is your best friend.

Deleted

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by L Kebess View Post
    Don't really know what to answer to this. You haven't payed any attention to your War in a very very long time for sure.
    Perhaps even since lvl 60 ? Yes, in Vanilla HS was pretty optional and far from being a necessity. But well, that was 6 years ago, things have evolved today.

As a Prot War, as long as you have 50+ rage, HS/Cleave is your best friend.
    It has actualy been a reliable rage dump since TBC, eventhough it still was on the gcd back then (if i remember correctly)

But yeah, OT: You want to first get threat on the target(s), and then you want to make sure the targets get affected by your thunderclap and demo shout to reduce incoming damage. Only after that you want to start maximizing your dps whilst keeping up these debuffs.

As a priority system:

Debuffs > Shield Slam > Revenge > B&T Rend* > Shockwave > Devastate

*only if you have a bleed damage increase in your raid or are helping with AoE.

As a rotation:

Shield Slam - Revenge - Devastate - Filler - Repeat

where the filler is used for: Debuff > SS proc > B&T Rend* > Shockwave

** stolen from Mest's prot guide.

Oh and ofc, Heroic Strike whenever your rage is high.

Personally I stick with the priority idea most of the time, because I don't like to focus on both the ideal rotation and the tanking parts of the boss fight, but if you really want to max yourself go for the rotation.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

I have heard that it's a tiny DPS gain to weave in Conc Blow/Shockwave on the last GCD before Shield Slam comes up, if it hasn't come up already via S&B proc.

A typical rotation for me single-target would be:

(pre-pull) Shout => Heroic Throw => Charge
    (rotation) Shield Slam > Revenge > Devastate > Rend, after debuffs are applied obviously. As mentioned above I usually will weave in Conc and Shockwave if I don't get an S&B proc for two GCDs, but at first I prioritize getting three Sunders on the enemy so I'll sometimes "clip" a SS as it will be coming off cooldown and S&B will proc (this is probably a very bad thing, and I should probably not do that). I'll try to keep Rend up but I wouldn't prioritize it over the others except on fights with very tight enrage timers (e.g. Heroic Ultraxion).

Quote Originally Posted by Lassuma View Post
    Single target priority:

Shield Slam on CD
    Revenge on CD

Multi target priority:

Thunder Clap
    Shockwave
    This is pretty much everything you need to know as far as rotation stuff goes.

Deleted
    what, same cd and rage cost? devastate has no cooldown and costs 15 rage, heroic strike costs 30 rage and has a 3 second cd.

As a prot warrior you often find that you have a lot of rage and when you do, you press heroic strike. You however don't replace devastate, you press them both.