Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

New article about World vs. World - MUST READ

http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-fergu...world-vs-world

I know this was posted in The One Thread but this is definitely something that should stand on it's own. It's a lengthy read but anyone that is interested in the pvp of GW2 will love this. I'm still hoping their engines can pull off the very large number of people needed for this to work really well. If they can do that this will be the best pvp of any mmo to date.

What does everyone else think about this? I hope there's a lot of coverage of this on the 20th because to see this live would be a wet dream of mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome article! WvW will be like DAoC RvR on steroids!! and I've been waiting forever for an MMo to de-thrown DAoC's pvp! Can't wait!!!!

10+ Year Old Account

Last edited by Mif; 2012-02-16 at 07:26 PM.

I'm normally averse to them, but this seems the moment for a "shut up and take my money" pic. And this is coming from a guy who normally waits six months before buying a videogame.

So...

And they are also localizing the game to Spanish, even if it's just the text. It's a nice touch.
    Last edited by Rowen; 2012-02-16 at 06:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My god... I....I think i need to change my pants now....
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

WvWvW is looking pretty good. Two things I'm curious about though, the buffs and siege weapons. I wonder how much of an impact the various buffs from Orbs of Power/guild claimed areas will have on both sides, and the part about siege weapons requiring more supplies than a single player can carry. It sounds like a single player could build a siege weapon by themselves if they can avoid being targeted and strategic placements(can some/all weapons move around the battlefield?) should be interesting. I think my biggest concern about siege weapons are selfish/non-team players creating a fuss because they aren't piloting the device and purposely avoid helping other players build siege as a response. Hopefully it'll be cleared up on/after the 20th as its just speculation at this point.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was excited for this game, until i read this...

now i am jumping out of my skin for it!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sweeps the floor with every competitor out there!
    I can see now why they chose to delay the game in order to make this work as good as they can. I really hope they will succeed, because this seems really awesome.

15+ Year Old Account
    I want to take up something I saw mention on another post about this aswell. First the blogpost talks about how 1v1v1 is better since it means if someone takes control the other two can fight together against the more powerful. What if you have two powerful fighting against one weak? Since once someone is pushed back to home zone it will be easier to hold them back than to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I want to take up something I saw mention on another post about this aswell. First the blogpost talks about how 1v1v1 is better since it means if someone takes control the other two can fight together against the more powerful. What if you have two powerful fighting against one weak? Since once someone is pushed back to home zone it will be easier to hold them back than to help them.
    Usually the weaker team would opt to help one of the other teams win. It's going to take awhile for servers to get ranked so some will ultimately fall to this situation. You can still be active with the smaller objectives and even make a push that will ultimately decide who wins when the two weeks are up. Once your server wins/loses it will pair you up with similar servers so it will be more competitive all around.

Having three servers fight though will promote some alliances, some will definitely not last as you'll constantly have to watch your back. That's going to be the fun part and some epic moments could come out of situations like that. It has so much promise, the only thing I could see causing this to fail is if this becomes like Ilum where the servers just can't sustain the number of people playing. If they can this will be a gold mine for ArenaNet.

And it just gets better and better.

If the maps are as big as he is making them out to be, I doubt the engine will have too much trouble. We'll be spread out decently.

Can't say I like the Keeps repairing themselves after a successful invasion though. I hope rocking Keeps to the ground will still be possible, if a team chooses not to take it.

I wonder if it possible to remove another server from the two week battle after taking their borderland in its entirety. The orbs of power will make fighting enemies in their borderlands hard, so most of the fighting will likely be in the central area. I assume they have a limited range, so taking them to a Keep away from it's Keeper would be risky tactic, but could possibly change the tide.
    Last edited by Gisei; 2012-02-16 at 07:13 PM.

Of the 2 powerful forces, I'd imagine one would be slightly more powerful than the other. The slightly less powerful force would probably know this, and also know that once the weak force is defeated, they're next and they won't have any allies to call upon, making teaming up with the weak force more attractive to them.

If you then consider the tactical options and possible outcomes from both the other side's perspectives, you end up with a lot of possible scenarios with varying outcomes that hinge on team work, betrayal, subterfuge, tactics, etc, and it sounds more and more exciting than ever before!

Basically, to me it sounds like whether you're winning or losing, dominating or being dominated, you'll have a lot of fun and some epic battles, which makes the whole thing worthwhile. I'm more excited about the game than ever before after reading the article and thinking of how it could all play out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I can see now why they chose to delay the game in order to make this work as good as they can. I really hope they will succeed, because this seems really awesome.
    Once again... what delay? We haven't had a release date...
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Could work in many ways..

Getting rid of the weaker team first potentially screws you out of an ally to take out the other stronger realm. But then you do run the risk of said weaker team siding with the other strong realm.

A strong realm could work to defend a weaker realm to gain their allegiance.

And who would work to contain the weaker realm? Whoever did would then be at a disadvantage to the other realm.

Then there is betrayal whilst working to push the weaker realm back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am trying to not get too excited, but that is hard to do.

---------- Post added 2012-02-16 at 01:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I hope they release it when it is ready.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    I..I..have no words...Anet <3

Many different ways that this could turn out, but I'll give my two cents.
    Personally, I for see the weakest realm being taken out right away, to reduce the chances for obvious set backs like the weaker realm joining sides with the other strong realm. From the looks of the weapons and objectives in use, as long as the weakest realm is kept back, the two strong realms both have a very good chance of defeating the other.

Do you realize you're talking about what each server will do as if they were played by three hive minds? 90% of the players will just be running in circles looking for people to gank.

I'm a pretty die hard WoWer and it's nice to finally see a game that seems it will be worth leaving for.

I'm actually looking forward to this game and I can honestly say that no other game has made me do that.