Thread: Dark Soul

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Dark Soul

Kaivax @KaivaxBlizzard on Twitter.

Dark Soul: Knowledge (for Demonology warlocks)

https://twitter.com/KaivaxBlizzard/s...97739458666498

Dark Soul: Instability (for Destruction Warlocks)

https://twitter.com/KaivaxBlizzard/s...97869423378433

Dark Soul: Misery (for Affliction Warlocks)

https://twitter.com/KaivaxBlizzard/s...97610542546944

"Extreme hopes are born from extreme misery." Bertrand Russell

My Destro lock is /dance

thx for zi good news
    Last edited by Valak; 2012-02-17 at 02:34 AM.

and here i thought you were going to talk about the game, ow well it looks sweet

Hmm that is a crapton of mastery. Gooood, gooooood.

10+ Year Old Account
    /drool.. did they like hire some new bloke who really loves warlocks or what? It seems locks are getting a shit-ton on love due to their low popularity, and to my sneaking suspicion at the demons making a appearance in mop
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like the whole deciding between passive damage and a cool down.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is really nice

I wonder though if this is also a clue about what Blizz wants to do with secondary stats. They have announced that they want to tone it back from the main stat a bit in Mists, and make secondaries a bit more valueable. This spell seems to indicate that Blizz want different specs to focus on different stats, I mean Affli + haste is win, but will Destro still be glad it gets crit chance, or Demo mastery, when we get to Mists.

If this is the case, and all 3 specs value different secondary stats, it's going to be a lot more difficult to gear for different specs. No more getting decent results in a different spec in the same gear. We'd need totally different reforging and gems if what this points at comes true and that would mean 2 complete sets of gear for different specs.

I'm not saying I dislike this change, having something to work towards in more then 1 gear set will be nice, and it will certainly make for more competition between all the clothies, if we all need more gear.

In the end though, if things are much the same as in late Cata, then there is very little gear to differentiate, so it might just become a complete pain to gear or the gear itsself might dictate what spec comes out on top

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    /drool.. did they like hire some new bloke who really loves warlocks or what? It seems locks are getting a shit-ton on love due to their low popularity, and to my sneaking suspicion at the demons making a appearance in mop
    Don't worry, fotm rerollers will run away as soon as they get stuck in the class' mechanics

Where is this from? I can't see it on the talent calc page under all of the class abilities.

As stated in the blue posts there are multiple ommisions from the calculator.
    That is just one, or you could say three of them.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming the demonology increase to mastery remains a flat increase, this spell will be very strong at the beginning of the expansion in earlier tiers then will even out or drop lower than the other specs at the final tier(s). I plan to go affliction as the new filler seems awesome and I love me some dots so I hope that this isn't gamebreaking enough to force everyone to demo. Demo is a bore imo.

Great idea for on demand burst.. also makes it not so op in pvp because you lose sustained damage when it's on cd.

Ok I should have clarified some things.
    Firstly those are meant as a replacement for demon soul, so the on-cooldown portion is effectively identical in how it worked before. As on-demand burst. However offering a choice of a persistent buff otherwise. An interesting new mechanic offered in several warlock abilities.
    Secondly I believe the demonology one to be a percentage increase rather than a fixed number, being only a typo.

By tying them to stats rather than the pets then it further helps reduce the reliance of a spec on a single pet, and makes them viable to be switched around for utility rather than being a necessity to match them up for damage.
    Yes it is likely some sort of hit will be taken to dps, but it should be far less substantial than previously.

Upon discussion via the forums mourning the loss of demon soul, these were announced as the replacements but simply being ommited from the talent calculator.

Just like in previous expansions, when "snapshots" of the talents are taken there are often some in the process of being changed or modified so that old, incomplete talents / abilities could appear, or some be missing / not yet implemented.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2012-02-17 at 10:08 AM.

The demo Dark soul is simply a MWC without the trinket. This makes things even more dynamic though, and allows you to save cooldowns for needed burst phases without losing out on dps much.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Secondly I believe the demonology one to be a percentage increase rather than a fixed number, being only a typo.
    I doubt this. It makes sense as a flat number increase to Mastery. Destro gets 30% crit, Affliction gets 30% haste, and Demo gets 30 Mastery which works out to a 15% damage increase for the duration.

10+ Year Old Account
    At first I smiled when I saw that, because I recall making a suggestion that each version of Demon Soul should increase secondary stats back in 4.0. Then I read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Sockmaster View Post
    I doubt this. It makes sense as a flat number increase to Mastery. Destro gets 30% crit, Affliction gets 30% haste, and Demo gets 30 Mastery which works out to a 15% damage increase for the duration.
    Meta doubles your Mastery benefit, so it's about 30% if you stack them. Why are we even getting a secondary resource pool and more flexibility on Meta again? I thought the MWC stacking was a Bad Thing™ and a good chunk of the reason T13 trinkets are so powerful as to replace it? o\

Quote Originally Posted by zinnin View Post
    I really like the whole deciding between passive damage and a cool down.
    Yeah this is awesome.
    The best is that you aren't loosing anything if you have to delay the CD for the burn.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Meta doubles your Mastery benefit, so it's about 30% if you stack them. Why are we even getting a secondary resource pool and more flexibility on Meta again? I thought the MWC stacking was a Bad Thing™ and a good chunk of the reason T13 trinkets are so powerful as to replace it? o\
    I agree, the one positive thing is that this time you just stack more of the secondary pool (depending on how much you can stack, if theres kind of a cap, same situation as with MWC now) till DS is ready and don't waste time with ready Meta CD while you wait for MWC cd. At least you don't need to petswap anymore!
    Anotherthing would be if mete wouldn't snapshot.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that mastery being snapshotted will be fixed. If you read carefully, meta doesn't offer a damage increase based on your mastery; it doubles the benefit you are getting from Demonic Fury.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I thought the MWC stacking was a Bad Thing™ and a good chunk of the reason T13 trinkets are so powerful as to replace it? o\
    Im still a bit confused about how the whole metamorph will actually work, but so far it seems like it will generally be up for long durations or multiple short durations (boomkin like) therefore Blizzard will probably make it change with buffs dynamically which means no more Snapshot-supremacy

Either that or we go back to Wrath days where we just roll out a super spell for the entire fight and laugh at other jealous eyes in the raid <3