Poll: Are morals objective or relative?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettan
    It may not be the right approach or cut out for our time but vengeance is justice. The law of retaliation is the only true justice to this date.
    One eye for one eye, one hand for a hand, a life for a life. No matter how gruesome or unproductive the result is in its core it still is 100% just.
    It rather depends on the motivation and the crime. Raping a rapist is in itself deliberately sadistic whereas executing a murderer is not (so long as it is done painfully). What does retaliating in kind though have to do with rehabilitation, might I ask?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    It rather depends on the motivation and the crime. Raping a rapist is in itself deliberately sadistic whereas executing a murderer is not (so long as it is done painfully). What does retaliating in kind though have to do with rehabilitation, might I ask?
    Nothing but then rehabilitation has nothing to do with justice either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Nothing but then rehabilitation has nothing to do with justice either.
    What do you view as justice - eye for an eye and that's it?

Deleted
    Purely subjective. There seems to be an correlation between what humans find morally right or wrong compared to other species' morals. Monkey's sure aren't much bothered by privacy or onlookers... drinking their own pee sometimes? No problem.

In relation to justice and mercy, I think society needs both. An extreme of either will turn out bad.

It's normal for us humans and everything else living on this planet to feed on other creatures, same species or different species. We kill eachother sometimes to progress for the victor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenver View Post
    Purely subjective. There seems to be an correlation between what humans find morally right or wrong compared to other species' morals. Monkey's sure aren't much bothered by privacy or onlookers... drinking their own pee sometimes? No problem.

In relation to justice and mercy, I think society needs both. An extreme of either will turn out bad.

It's normal for us humans and everything else living on this planet to feed on other creatures, same species or different species. We kill eachother sometimes to progress for the victor.
    Good thing we're no longer mere apes then, huh. And I have a question. Are you saying that killing is justifiable because it leads to progress?

Deleted
    Well, justifiable. What does justifiable mean to who?

Nearly all humans are killing other animals in one way or the other sometimes, f.ex. insects, and the time I spent on my PC may be creating CO2 that help generate global warming and increase the flooding and harm people in poor countries lying on a shallow ground, f.ex. some Islands.

It is normal for humans to kill other humans as large groups versus each other. In the Libya conflict, many people died both on the governmental and revolutional side. Now Gaddafi is gone. Is that for better or worse?

Humans feed on other living plants and animals. We cannot gain any food nutrition from non-living things. We have to kill plants or animals to eat with any use.

If you give up your power to physically dominate and physically hurt humans and therein also kill, then people who do not give up that power will dominate you and inflict their philosophy on you for better or worse.

If everyone around the world who were faced with the attack of the Nazi regime of Germany, said oh no worries, we won't hurt you, come right in, then we would be marching around saying Heil and people would go to concentration camps in the years after. Luckily, the united Western world + Sovjet fought the Nazi and opportunistic countries joining in. War is always horrible, but sometimes it is necessary if you want to impose a culture you believe in or stop another from imposing that you don't believe in. Many people got killed on both sides and many civilians even affected by WW2. Was that for better or worse?

When there are people who go on killing sprees in the city or some place, is it better or worse that police kill them? Is it for better or worse that the person kill whoever people he does?

All the animals and meat we eat. Is that for better or worse? All the plants same.

Pure pacifism dies. It either meets resistance and pick up weapons or dies.

Everything in the universe is subjective because whenever someone or something perceives something then the perception is influenced by the perceiver. You cannot talk about, describe, think about, perceive or have the notion of anything without doing so with that that is the perceiver, you f.ex. or me.

Humans are biological robots. There is no right or wrong. There are many who think something is particular right or wrong and that maybe helps the biological robot that are humans. Humans are a species on this earth and share some of the same morals because they are of the same species and are quite similar because of the way evolution works on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenver View Post
    There is no right or wrong.
    agreed

there is cause and effect and like or dislike of either, however
    Last edited by crica; 2012-02-18 at 10:58 PM.