Re-subbing: Spec Suggestions

I'm about to re-sub and being a veteran player (been a priest since vanilla beta), I was doing my research per usual on priests in top guilds. The only time I haven't been holy in the past two expansions was on LK HM, but as far as I can see (top5 US guilds), almost the majority of their priests are specd disc. I've seen other threads on this topic and I'm not trying to start a flame war over which spec is better; Just trying to find some clarity I couldn't find elsewhere.

I've been away from the game for awhile (Only raided in cata for a month or two before taking a hiatus) and was curious of why disc was so predominant and which would be most suitable for LFR and normal modes (an answer other than, "what you like best", like most guides and threads say). Thanks.
    Last edited by Clush; 2012-02-17 at 12:39 AM.

Well hi there. I'm just about the opposite of you. I'm a Cata baby and currently completed raiding this expansion.

Both specs are great, though I would say Holy is a little stronger in 25m (no player limit for Sanctuary) while Disc is a little stronger in 10m. Now, unfortunately since I've only played during Cata, I cannot relate how Disc used to be to how Disc is now. Since 4.2 hit, critical heals are now 200% of the heal instead of the original 150%, therefore also increasing the power of Divine Aegis. Disc also tends to be a lot more mana friendly than Holy, since it is far less dependent on spirit. Disc is very good proactive healer with a good defensive raid CD (Power Word: Barrier), while Holy is a very good reactive healer with a powerful healing CD (Divine Hymn, which is now on a 3 minute cd in Holy). With that said, I like to think in a 10man setting, Holy pairs well with a Resto Shaman with Spirit Link, while Disc pairs well with a Resto Druid with Tranquility (randomly assuming 3rd healer is a Holy Pally). Both specs AoE heal extremely well, although Disc is ahead of Holy in terms of tank healing. I can guarantee neither are bad specs. To me, choosing between specs is really a matter of which cooldown is needed (Barrier VS Divine Hymn), your healing comp, and personal preference.

Also, bubbles are pretty damn awesome, although they have increased the mana cost for bubbles a few patches ago.
    Last edited by Ellumina; 2012-02-17 at 01:53 AM.

disc is so dorminant right now because you are forced to stack raid cds to be able to heal it through as well as the fact that a disc can make a player survive an attack he normally would not (shield ftw).Thats the main reason why most priests play disc right now.That is all most important in hardmodes.In LFR and normal it is not necesarry to do that-> holy is there just as strong as disc while in hardmodes u usally prefer to get that powerful raid cd that barrier is.
    Thanks for that awesome signature i4ni

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...ck/Ravy/simple

Thanks for the fast replies all. I figured it was just a HM advantage to have the extra mitigation and to reduce overall overhealing. I've read that LFR/Normal modes are extreme face-rolls, which is why I imagine people say that both specs are equal.

Disc's mana regen mechanic with the 4.3 Int totals is also part of the story. Disc was a lot harder in 4.0.3 or whenever they changed PW:S cost, if you weren't in a raid that specifically fed you mana tide.

I confess I haven't tried Holy this tier, though. I just notice that Disc seems to get more and more powerful in HPS/regen, before you even take the raid cooldowns into consideration.

Both specs are viable. I enjoy Disc for 10s, Holy for 25s. I find holy the easier spec to play. Play holy for LFR 25s as you'll be stacked the majority of fights. I queued on my resto durid earlier today and our healer group make up was 1 shaman, 1 druid and 4 holy priests. 6 aoe ground heals all being stacked - everyone was getting around 7K hps for standing in the one spot lol

Quote Originally Posted by Clush View Post
    an answer other than, "what you like best", like most guides and threads say
    this answer is so popular for a reason
    both specs are perfectly viable not only for lfr but also for normal modes.

for heroic modes for progressing there are situations when one spec is considered 'better' than the other, however it really does depend on fight and raid setup.
    for example holy is said to be better for hagara hc.

now, why 'what you like best' is so important? cause there is a general assumptions that you will pick a spec fitting your playstyle more, meaning you will be more comfortable and better at it than you would be with the other spec.
    and since both specs are about equal, its better to have better specA priest than worse specB priest

As Babylon mentioned, on hagara HC you don't need as much raid CDs as you do on, for example on warlord or Yor'sahj and therefor holy is favoured.
    On most fights your healing actually does not matter as much as your "Oh shit" buttons. Ultraxion have a good use for PS and others. Spine also favours disc as you can focus your heals more than you can as holy focusing on removing the "healing absorb" faster and better, also, the bubble is good for explosions.

So, as you have more Raid CDs as disc, that's usualy prefered over holy on heroics but on fights as Hagara when there's alot of AoE dmg (lightning phase) and not so much need of a big CDs to instantly save someone from death you'll want to go holy. If your raids lacks holy paladins a holy priest will be good for ultraxion to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clush View Post
    I'm about to re-sub and being a veteran player (been a priest since vanilla beta), I was doing my research per usual on priests in top guilds. The only time I haven't been holy in the past two expansions was on LK HM, but as far as I can see (top5 US guilds), almost the majority of their priests are specd disc. I've seen other threads on this topic and I'm not trying to start a flame war over which spec is better; Just trying to find some clarity I couldn't find elsewhere.

I've been away from the game for awhile (Only raided in cata for a month or two before taking a hiatus) and was curious of why disc was so predominant and which would be most suitable for LFR and normal modes (an answer other than, "what you like best", like most guides and threads say). Thanks.

Preventing the damage before its dealt often saves you more then healing it up afterwards, thats the main gist of it

The answer really is, play what you like. Both specs about even in terms of throughput. However, stat priorities are vastly different between the specs. Holy isn't very mana efficient, so spirit will always be your secondary stat. However, it's the opposite with disc, you can reforge out of virtually all of your spirit to a throughput stat. However, there is no consensus of what your secondary stat should be.

Holy pros
    Consistent healing (less spikey than disc)
    Easier to play (less CDs to manage)
    Less debate on spec and stats
    Guardian spirit can be a wipe saver.

Cons
    Uses more mana
    Less CDs
    Mainly an AoE healing spec. It can tank heal in a crunch, but really it's not optimal.
    Spec is mostly cookie cutter
    No diversity in play style

Disc pros
    Mana efficient
    Strong raid healing and tank healing and can switch between the two instantly
    Better raid utility
    No cookie cutter spec, aside from the required talents of the two sub specs (AA and SoS) talent choices are flexible
    diverse play style

Cons
    Spiky healing
    Harder to play because:
    -timing CDs effectively is critical
    -There is no consensus on secondary stats, it's up to you to find out what works best for your play style
    -Because there's no cookie cutter build, it's up to you to find out what talents you like best
    -Mana regen is dependent on proper rapture management
    More dependent on healing comp. You can have run with two holy priests without issue. However, running with another disc priest causes problems as you're constantly stepping on each other's toes for rapture procs

As for what is better for LFR, Holy is less of a headache. Due to the heavy dependence on rapture for mana return, if you end up with another disc priest you run into the previously mentioned issue of stepping on each others toes.