Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Roleplay on Guild Wars 2

I posted about this about 2 months back. Any word about Guild Wars 2 and roleplay, whether there will be dedicated Role play servers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dedicated Roleplay servers? I can't say for certain.

There is a GW2 roleplaying fansite however: http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/

I'm sure there will be a very healthy RP community, RP servers or not.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

You can always join a dedicated RP guild as you can join multiple guilds.

I don't know about RP servers... Most of us saw just how well that's worked out in other games. Guilds, sure. But no one can guarantee you an entirely server-wide RP experience.

I'll be roleplaying! Highly intrigued by the fact that we can pick up items in the game world and have them replace our weapon skills, including things like cups, mugs, maybe even food. Drink it, chug it, throw it.

I think GW2 is shaping up to be extremely roleplay-friendly.

If I remember correctly, they aren't setting aside RP servers because they don't want to fragment the community like that (that and because effectively enforcing the rules on a RP server can be difficult).

A server is a server, there's no form of splitting. You can easily join an RP guild if you want to along with however many other guilds you want at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    If I remember correctly, they aren't setting aside RP servers because they don't want to fragment the community like that (that and because effectively enforcing the rules on a RP server can be difficult).
    That was only Martin's personal opinion, there hasn't been an official decision/news about RP servers yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's my 2 cents summarized into points:

• There's no need for RP servers; they're an ancient concept. The only real rules attached to them was naming and griefing. Enforcing naming is pretty much impossible, and griefers are so abundant that to even have and RP server running is pretty useless.
    • It's arguable that RP servers bring together RP communities, but nothing has ever stopped RPers from congregating on the same server in all of MMO history. I remember Wiccanna[PvE] on Age of Conan being the unofficial RP server, and still is I think.
    • GW2 will probably be the strongest MMO ever made for people to RP in. Since everything scales you'll be able to create RP events that actually have a sense of danger, rather than running Kara at level 85 and pretending the bosses are hard to kill as you ONLY spam autoattack. Let's not forget to mention that the amount of lore in the GW universe is enough to sate JRR Tolkien. After all, the guy that brought us Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance is responsible for a lot of GW lore. Jeff Grubb is my god.
    • A few other things to name that'll be great for RP: Bar fights, WvWvW, DEs, transmuting your gear (look how you want and still play like a beast), and environmental weapons. You literally get to create on-the-fly RP events depending on when a DE pops up, and I think that's wonderful. RPing will be very robust in GW2, no doubt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post

• There's no need for RP servers; they're an ancient concept. The only real rules attached to them was naming and griefing. Enforcing naming is pretty much impossible, and griefers are so abundant that to even have and RP server running is pretty useless.
    • It's arguable that RP servers bring together RP communities, but nothing has ever stopped RPers from congregating on the same server in all of MMO history. I remember Wiccanna[PvE] on Age of Conan being the unofficial RP server, and still is I think.
    • GW2 will probably be the strongest MMO ever made for people to RP in. Since everything scales you'll be able to create RP events that actually have a sense of danger, rather than running Kara at level 85 and pretending the bosses are hard to kill as you ONLY spam autoattack. Let's not forget to mention that the amount of lore in the GW universe is enough to sate JRR Tolkien. After all, the guy that brought us Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance is responsible for a lot of GW lore. Jeff Grubb is my god.
    • A few other things to name that'll be great for RP: Bar fights, WvWvW, DEs, transmuting your gear (look how you want and still play like a beast), and environmental weapons. You literally get to create on-the-fly RP events depending on when a DE pops up, and I think that's wonderful. RPing will be very robust in GW2, no doubt.
    Very well said, and it pretty much sums up my opinions on the subject as well. Will there be RP servers in GW2? I don't think there need to be.

This was an awesome post...and I do enjoy reading almost all your posts mate but, I just have to.......
    The Silamrillion by J.R.R Tolkien would wipe the floor with Tyria. And Azeroth. And Forgotten Realms. And anything else. And I say that as a total Anet fanboy, as I'm sure you know from my posts. And I'm as sure as can be that Mr (awesome - I love him too) Grubb would acknowledge that as well. There has never been another fantasy world that can compare with the world that Tolkien made (the game did it no justice...and focused on a miniscule part of Tolkine's world). It's simply impossible to translate it. It's too epic to transfer into a game.
    It beats the shit out of any creation myth, because it bases itself upon them...and then creates thousands of years of later amazing and unique history.
    Tolkien is the foundation of everything we hold dear about fantasy fiction. Anyone writing oro creating today would tell repeat that.
    Anyway....I'm gonna stop there...and apologise for hyjacking this thread. Sorry if that seemed like a personal attack in any way at all. It's not. You wouldn't be on this site if you didn't have an affinity for him. I just...love Tolkien and just........had a moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    @SBanes:
    I was speaking in terms of the amount, not the content of the lore. It is completely definitive that John Ronald Ruel Tolkien is the master of fantasy. Not only that, but he was a professor in western lore as well as a fantastic person who makes up his own words. I believe it was him who coined the word "Fantastical". No one could ever possibly compare to him, and all of his work is the bible that most fantasy writers base their own ideas off of, this is true.

I remember getting the LAST hardback version of Children of Hurin on the shelf back in 2007. After reading that book I almost burned all of my Wheel of Time books. In just 200 pages, Tolkien recaptured my imagination and I almost fucking cried. My eyes were pretty much burning with tears of fiery fantasy after reading that. His son (Christopher) did an absolutely awesome job editing the story into a full narrative.

Trust me, you're talking to a guy that knows how to write in both Tengwar and Cirth.
    I. LOVE. TOLKIEN.

Jeff Grubb is my god.
    I didn't know Jeff Grubb worked for Anet and on the GW world. No small wonder there's so much cool lore. That guy has an amazing imagination. I basically grew up sucking up his ideas and expanding on them. I'm even more hyped about GW (lore) now than ever

I look forawrd to roleplaying on Guild Wars. I wonder what tools they'll make available for roleplaying guilds.

Deleted
    And all the choices during character creation. The races and professions choice, whether your character uses his/her charm/dignity/ferocious during quests/cinematics etc.

@SBanes:
    I was speaking in terms of the amount, not the content of the lore. It is completely definitive that John Ronald Ruel Tolkien is the master of fantasy. Not only that, but he was a professor in western lore as well as a fantastic person who makes up his own words. I believe it was him who coined the word "Fantastical". No one could ever possibly compare to him, and all of his work is the bible that most fantasy writers base their own ideas off of, this is true.

I remember getting the LAST hardback version of Children of Hurin on the shelf back in 2007. After reading that book I almost burned all of my Wheel of Time books. In just 200 pages, Tolkien recaptured my imagination and I almost fucking cried. My eyes were pretty much burning with tears of fiery fantasy after reading that. His son (Christopher) did an absolutely awesome job editing the story into a full narrative.

Trust me, you're talking to a guy that knows how to write in both Tengwar and Cirth.
    I. LOVE. TOLKIEN.
    Good to know Sorry for going off on one there lol. My love for Tolkien got the better of me for a moment.
    I have that too. Love the artwork by Alan Lee. He beautifully captures Tolkien's world. Have the illustrated hardbacks of LoTR and The Silmarillion as well. Amongst my most prized possessions. I didn't bring them over to China with me, didn't want them to get damaged, so they're wrapped up back in the UK. How I miss them.

Deleted
    I would hope they designate RP servers, simply because I prefer the community and people that gravitate towards them. Even as a 'soft RPer' I can see that rping would be hard on a server that isnt set up for it. Sure you can make RP guilds etc, but you will still have a greatly mixed community, and have to put up with all the idiotic chat that goes along with that.

I don't see RP servers happening because of WvWvW.

Would they match up RP servers against a regular server? Probably not. Then they'd have to create enough RP servers so that you can regularly switch up what other RP servers you go against in WvW in order to create a fair balance. Unless the RP scene was big enough it just couldn't happen.

That's my thoughts on it at least...

Deleted
    I dont see why RP servers couldnt be in the normal system of WvWvW rankings. Even if they are not as good at pvp, they would be eventually ranked accordingly by the nature of the system itself. I dont see why RPers should be worse at pvp though. Mostly they attract more mature players (big assumption here of course, but its my experience) who are more than competent in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I don't see RP servers happening because of WvWvW.

Would they match up RP servers against a regular server? Probably not. Then they'd have to create enough RP servers so that you can regularly switch up what other RP servers you go against in WvW in order to create a fair balance. Unless the RP scene was big enough it just couldn't happen.

That's my thoughts on it at least...
    WoW has battlegroups of mixed realms. Why not GW2?