Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What sort of game is GW2?

Never really followed guild wars and as my guild is starting to get WoW DW bosses on farm and such and with nothing to do during outside of raid times i'm extremely bored and considering pre-ordering this, upon asking a guildy i got told it's a pvp based game that is balanced and their is a lot of grinding etc, i'm not that great researching but i'm about to watch some videos on it so what sort of game would you expect from guild wars 2? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Never really followed guild wars and as my guild is starting to get WoW DW bosses on farm and such and with nothing to do during outside of raid times i'm extremely bored and considering pre-ordering this, upon asking a guildy i got told it's a pvp based game that is balanced and their is a lot of grinding etc, i'm not that great researching but i'm about to watch some videos on it so what sort of game would you expect from guild wars 2? Thanks
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated.-READ-ME!

Your guildy on something good if he thinks its a PvP game with grinding.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

It's not a PVP centric game. And there is little to zero grind. That's part of their philosophy, no grind. It's an MMO in all other respects.

Go read the Sticky called Mass info for the uninitiated. READ ME! that should tell you what GW2 is trying to accomplish. As for the pvp side go read Anets new blog about WvWvW. It is all sorts of awesome.

beat by zito. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    beat by zito. >.>
    Damn right. I liked your old avatar.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Oh thank you ^^' I'm half asleep and didn't see the huge read me
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Damn right. I liked your old avatar.
    switching it up a bit. :P

OT: guild wars 2.

I think i'll read that tomorrow, but would any of you know if my system would be able to run this game, where could i find my specs and such so i know because i'd hate to see i wasn't able to run it since the graphics look awesome. I can run WoW on "good" in 10 man raids if that's any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    I think i'll read that tomorrow, but would any of you know if my system would be able to run this game, where could i find my specs and such so i know because i'd hate to see i wasn't able to run it since the graphics look awesome. I can run WoW on "good" in 10 man raids if that's any help.
    no one knows what performance will be like yet. it's theorized it'll be very forgiving based on a few dev assurances.

Alright thanks very much, looks to be a very good game and it'll be a nice change from grindfest WoW, think i'll end up getting it for my "off game" ^^

As far as combat, it plays more like an action RPG (active dodging, movement/positioning related attacks, etc) especially in regards to not having "tanks" and "healers" so in that respect it is not like most MMOs.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

Your guildy on something good if he thinks its a PvP game with grinding.
    Meh, he was probably just thinking of GW1.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Very much sounds like your guildy was thinking of GW1. It's often what you hear about GW1 and sadly what many people ascribe to GW2 who have little or no knowledge of it.
    Those links should tell you what you need to know. I'd also recommend 2 videos here
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/videos/
    The Gamescom trailer and the Manifesto. Both great.

First 2 links have all the vital information you need to be interested in GW2

15+ Year Old Account
    Been looking at the new information for Mists of Pandaria (this link here http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mis...-calculator#cZ was especially helpful in making some comparisons), found a few things very interesting...
    -Warriors' lvl 87 War Banner (Passive) looks a lot like the elite skill for warriors in Guild Wars 2
    -Warlocks' lvl 88 Demonic Gateway looks like the Mesmer ability that summons two portal fields that you can walk through to be transported to the other
    -Rogues' lvl 87 Shroud of Concealment "wraps party and raid members within 20 yards in shadows concealing them from sight" which is similar to I believe a cross-profession combo involving a thief
    -speculation here, but one of the models that's been thrown around as "the" Pandaren racial mount is essentially the dolyak, the much beloved beast of burden that is making its popular return from Guild Wars 1 in Guild Wars 2, as pictured in that WvWvW article hauling a shipment of ore from a mine to a keep
    -new "dungeon challenge mode" where gear for pve encounters is normalized and you all go through it to gain rewards at the end which are cosmetic gear set items that you can use for transmogrification

I don't know, just seems so odd for there to be all these simultaneous coincidences involving in-game mechanics and concepts even if you think there are only so many different iterations of spells that can be imagined for implementation...maybe this is some tin-foil hat sort of theorizing and I'm just grasping at straws, even though these are as it happens things which are only now being introduced to World of Warcraft after 7 years, at the same time a game is being developed which people claim competes with World of Warcraft that is going to have those sorts of things in the game as well...

So Guild Wars 2 is the sort of game which is going to be an innovator in its field, a 3rd-party candidate that maybe forces everyone else to adopt parts of their platform when their rivals craft competing policies, simply by merit of garnering intense popularity via long-term attention and intense exposure. Guild Wars 2 is a game you definitely want to watch...and then buy when it is finally released.

If you like World of Warcraft, you might not want to give it up for Guild Wars 2. Let's be honest on that, because the ways Arenanet wants you to have fun and their definition of "endgame" are nothing resembling what World of Warcraft has to offer. If you at one point did like World of Warcraft, but became jaded, or still like it but are looking for something ranging maybe from slightly different to almost not even remotely the same depending on your own personal opinion and interpretation of what you've seen from Guild Wars 2, you might want to give the game a try (especially because there is no monthly fee).

Combat is nothing like World of Warcraft, because you can literally roll to dodge fireballs and arrows, giving players a way to take their skills and apply it to every battle setting, and not leave it up to random number generators on whether the spell "misses" based on your resistance to magic. You can actually line-of-sight a projectile based attack after it has already left the enemy's hands simply by moving behind another sufficiently large object like a tree or even another player, since the game is designed to obey collision mechanics that you might expect in a more first-person-shooter oriented situation where bullets are flying at you and they will hit whoever is in-front of you rather than passing harmlessly through them and hitting you, simply because your opponent fired the bullet while he had you targeted.

Travelling is different, there are no mounts, in a world that looks to be larger than the entirety of every zone in World of Warcraft put together from Kalimdor to the Eastern Kingdoms and Outlands AND Northrend AND all the other Cataclysm zones, and possibly even the new zones for Mists of Pandaria. To make up for that, there are lots of waypoints (think Diablo 2 & 3, except probably 50-200x as many), which is convenient because there don't appear to be player-casted portals for you to draw upon, nor is there an automated dungeon-queueing tool to port you to an instance. The world of Tyria is just breathtakingly expansive, and it is all beautifully rendered.

Questing is different, there are no quests, but rather dynamic events, which you can participate in (or not) as you stumble upon them and explore the world. You don't have to speak to an NPC to get credit, all you do is play the game.

Partying with other players is different, they can't "steal" your mob, they can't grief you (theoretically, but for the most part GW2 is being designed to be troll-proofed to a degree we haven't seen before), you basically always benefit by playing with other people, and yet it is not required for you to ever party with anyone or speak to anyone that you don't want to; exception being the 5-man dungeons and possibly the PvP battlegrounds, both structured and WvWvW.

The PvP is different, because as I stated before you can actively dodge attacks, allowing you to actually skill your way to victory, and PvP can be engaged in starting at level 1, and you can actually level to max cap via PvP if you want to, with very few drawbacks, if you so desire. One form of PvP takes the shape of essentially oldschool Alterac Valley, battles on a huge map with hundreds of players from 3 servers battling for two weeks to control territory, a little bit like Wintergrasp or Tol Barad but much larger in scale and duration. The other form is more like 5v5 in maps that resemble Arathi Basin and your goal is to reach the resource point victory condition before the other team.

The dungeons are different too, because they have a maximum level limit. You get scaled down temporarily to a maximum level cap that is set for the dungeon, and participate in content that varies in its degree of difficulty yet manages to be continually relevant even after you've reached max level, to get armor tokens that are mostly for visual purposes. This is their answer to hardcore raiding, it is going to be punishing and you will probably feel a large sense of accomplishment when you beat each one, which by the way has decision breaks inside which make each dungeon experience slightly different from the last, with different bosses (I believe Totalbiscuit mentions in a recent video that he suggested something akin to this in reference to what he would like to see in World of Warcraft, which as of yet it appears has not made it into Mists of Pandaria). To put it in WoW terms, imagine reaching level 85 and then going back to Black Temple and being scaled down to 70 again, fighting all the bosses at their original difficulty setting at a power level the developers intended for you to fight them at...actually sounds pretty exciting, doesn't it?

I don't know what else to say really, this is about as condensed as you can get on the most relevant differences between the two games. Guild Wars 2 is pretty much what World of Warcraft might have been had it been taken in a different direction following the Burning Crusade expansion, and had a complete combat system overhaul, and then got scrapped and they just decided to make Titan years ahead of schedule. They just aren't really comparable at all, its like saying an apple is better than a snake, its a nonsensical statement. Arenanet wants every moment of the game to qualify as endgame, and for you to have fun playing every second, doing whatever you choose to, and being rewarded for engaging in play, which is something I find completely new having played through Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm and being sort of hurried to max level so that I could farm raid instances over and over until the next iteration, and throughout the course of each expansion having the previous 95% of the leveling process increasingly streamlined and simplified simply because those parts of World of Warcraft weren't defined as "endgame" in Blizzard's view.

Hope this all helps, I mean it is only my point of view though, but if you only choose to read one wall of text about Guild Wars 2, I hope this is satisfactory while simultaneously being about as concise as humanly possible.

Dude, you didn't need to take the time to type that, I've already done that here:

Quote Originally Posted by Marn View Post
    wow
    Massive respect for writing all that. I feel you deserve a special cookie:

15+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha a cupcake with a cookie in it, that's awesome

Yeah I guess I didn't have to write all that but it was really less of a user's manual and more of a treatise specifically on how Guild Wars 2 is different than World of Warcraft, and why that's ultimately a good thing, or at the least a refreshing change of pace from every MMO that feels like it has to be a clone of WoW with different art to succeed. Plus this way people who read page 1 of this thread and don't go off to read side-links like the info for the uninitiated thread (which I've read cover to cover a few times, it's really great haha) can come away with a brief surface impression of what they can probably expect based on the current knowledge base.

Could also have posted "What sort of game is GW2? The kind where you get almost an entire level of experience for exploring a capital city, which to do in its entirety takes about 20-45 mins" and post the link to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD4i890IBbs
    I just watched that and I was blown away by the scale, I can hardly comprehend the sheer size of the in-game world, when this is the level of detail they put into a city, let alone the unfathomably vast plains and jungles and mountains that make up the world. Can't wait to play this game, and I hope that everyone who does eventually play this game has the same level of enthusiasm!

Quote Originally Posted by Marn View Post
    Yup...I read every word. And I could give no better reply than that given by cookie monster
    I'm blown away by so many of the features of this game that I've succumbed to perpetually feeling like a whirlwind of leaves caught in a feverish tempest of wonderment.