Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    My character (yes, one) is always a mirror, extension, and at times a polar opposite of my own psyche.

I always play a mage, or equivalent thereof, because arcane magic is the only thing that strikes a chord in my mind, controlling the elements and, to a degree, reality itself, is what my character does (I will never accept wow's version of shamanism, it's an abomination, shamans deal with spirits not the fucking elements).

I always play the most intellectually advanced race present, as it ties in with the idea of the mage, and knowledge is always power... so Asura for me.

I have a ruthless sense of justice in all things; not the law, laws are trivial ideas spewed out by mortals; not morality, because more often than not it directly interferes with decisions. No, I always play the absolute enforcer of justice in all games that make it possible; if the law interferes with it I usually wipe out all of it's representatives.

Visually, I always use a white-haired male. If the option is there for a young version then perfect; more often it's an old guy though, which suits me all the same. While I like good-looking gear, I usually take the most light-weight stuff; heavy ornamentation kinda interferes with my image of a mage. The only piece of gear I value the most, appearance-wise, is the focus; be it main + off-hand or intricate staff, the focus is always the one piece of gear I will strive to have at it's best.

The only characters I make as tools are for convenience; I hate having to ask other people to make something for me, or find that nobody is online that can, so I usually make the whole complement of characters it takes to be able to use all professions for myself. I only ever play one though, which is my mage; though he may wander through a myriad of servers and visual changes, it's still the same one I made when I first start a game. This will probably change with GW2, as I understand professions will be inter-changeable without losing all the progress made.
    Last edited by Ærion; 2012-02-17 at 11:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    I'm short so many an asura
    I used to have a guildie who was a 6-9 NBA all-star that played a Gnome

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    ***Raises eyebrow at OP's reasons for using female characters***

aaaanyway, I tend to make old Mages. No particular reason.

I want to make a male Human.

But I am also tempted to make a female Human. Why?

Boob physics

10+ Year Old Account
    As for my characters, I tend to main smart midget females

I just find them to be a lot more interesting than a large male that goes around hulk-smashing everything in his way. I prefer medium armor classes because heavy doesn't make as much sense on a small character, and light seems like something only an idiot would wear when medium presents more or less the same versatility. Hair color and style depends on profession, those that are more crazy (thief, engineer, warrior) inspire bright outrageous colors and styles, while professions that require study (in an RP sense) to learn like an elementalist or the righteous like a guardian should have more sensible respectful colors and styles.

I like to play professions that aren't magical, and are just normal people without "superpowers" that are just trying to survive in a tough world.

I tend to lightly RP my characters, not in any "official" sense, but I like to "get in character" a bit. So for personality, it's ironically very similar to Zojja, tending to act tough so not to appear weak, to flippantly dismiss other peoples opinions (pfft... whatEVA, bookah), but once you earn her trust she is the type to give lots of hugs and would always back you up in a fight.

I usually make characters as an extension of myself. Never ever female characters - I just can't. Nor can I name them Nosugar or Loves2spooge. They don't have to be humans, in fact I rarely play humans because when I played wow, I was horde. But being male is mandatory for me.

Deleted
    I'm going to create an aggressive, dark charr necromancer and a charming "white-knight" kind of charr warrior.

Whichever profession I enjoy playing most I will use that as my main :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ærion View Post
    My character (yes, one) is always a mirror, extension, and at times a polar opposite of my own psyche.

I always play a mage, or equivalent thereof, because arcane magic is the only thing that strikes a chord in my mind, controlling the elements and, to a degree, reality itself, is what my character does (I will never accept wow's version of shamanism, it's an abomination, shamans deal with spirits not the fucking elements).

I always play the most intellectually advanced race present, as it ties in with the idea of the mage, and knowledge is always power... so Asura for me.

I have a ruthless sense of justice in all things; not the law, laws are trivial ideas spewed out by mortals; not morality, because more often than not it directly interferes with decisions. No, I always play the absolute enforcer of justice in all games that make it possible; if the law interferes with it I usually wipe out all of it's representatives.

Visually, I always use a white-haired male. If the option is there for a young version then perfect; more often it's an old guy though, which suits me all the same. While I like good-looking gear, I usually take the most light-weight stuff; heavy ornamentation kinda interferes with my image of a mage. The only piece of gear I value the most, appearance-wise, is the focus; be it main + off-hand or intricate staff, the focus is always the one piece of gear I will strive to have at it's best.

The only characters I make as tools are for convenience; I hate having to ask other people to make something for me, or find that nobody is online that can, so I usually make the whole complement of characters it takes to be able to use all professions for myself. I only ever play one though, which is my mage; though he may wander through a myriad of servers and visual changes, it's still the same one I made when I first start a game. This will probably change with GW2, as I understand professions will be inter-changeable without losing all the progress made.
    So you're like that silence Elementalist type where you never hear of and when tides are turning is suddenly there and blow stuff to pieces.

Nice to meet you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I tend to lightly RP my characters, not in any "official" sense, but I like to "get in character" a bit.
    I do the same thing. I've played pen-and-paper roleplaying games for years, and always had a blast really getting into character, but when it comes to MMOs I can't really get into the hardcore roleplaying (not that kind, you perverts). I still very much give my character personalities and let their personalities affect my playstyle to some degree, and if other people talk to me in-character I'll do my best to respond in kind, but that's about the extent of my video game roleplaying.

That said, I tend to make a very wide variety of character archetypes and can never really settle on just one gender, one role, one "class," or one personality type. Maybe I'm schizophrenic but I just enjoy playing characters with a wide range of personalities, motivations, and powers. It's also fun to challenge oneself by trying to identify with a character type that is very much different from your actual personality. Keeps gameplay from getting stale sometimes.

Deleted
    I want to make them as cute as possible, or pretty if there isnt any cute race.
    Like in wow, I started playing bloodelf and made it look as pretty as possible. Falling in love with shadowpriest (yes, I somehow found it that I enjoyed playing the underdog) my friends wanting to play alliance and the change that gnomes could be priests made me so happy. My pink gnome rocked as shadowpriest and looked adorable. I did leave the game before transmogrifing patch, even with a bank full of pink and cute looking gear. That's life I guess =)

Now I play Rift, my main is kelari.. the only race available that can have truely pink hair. Maybe not cute, but no cute race available, but really pretty. My main is inquisitor/cabalist (depending on warfront) so I fell in love with being the underdog again (but I rock as it :P) And ofc both my main and my mage alt have pimped pink gear and look completely adorable.

In GW2, well... no doubt the cute asura is the race for me. And they can have pink hair, how cool isn't that? Just can't say no. In terms of class choice, I haven't tried any of them yet. I feel it's hard to say no to mesmer, just because class looks very interesting, and pink spells and butterflies. Will find it hard to say no to. However, nercromancer is lurking behind, depending on gamestyle it might be a serious competitor. Give beta so I can try please =) I doubt that any class will be a complete underdog in GW2, but since my preferences are like they are... the underdog, if it will exist, will most likely be necromancer or mesmer :P My char will look cute and adorable though, just need to get myself that pink dye as fast as possible so I can start pimp my ride =)

I had a whole post typed up and then my phone crashed. > But I really just wanted to say that these discussions are always so interesting to me. It's cool to see how people think and how they choose what they choose, especially when we can all be so different in.our thinking. and I love that its been civil so far.

Me, I go for different for a lot of the same reasons folks have already stated. Usually female, strong of form and character, non-human, and often a melee type in heavier armor. I like that, and if it were real I'd be interested like a previous poster said, or if I were in that world its what I'd like to be I suppose.

Since I enjoy roleplaying, my characters all try to cover different ends of the spectrum so that I can try something new. But normally I start out with a character that is the total opposite of myself aside from gender. I struggle to play male characters so I stick with what I know best.

In GW2's case, this would be a female Charr warrior that would be brutal and in-your-face, quick tempered and built strong/tall.

I always find it fun to try and be something I'm not, or play a role that seems the least human.

I tend to think about the uniqueness of a class and mimic a "feel" when making a character.

Lets say I find that a mage uses knowledge to overcome battles. I then try to make a wise character that can influence someone to say in their heads "hey that guy looks like he knows his stuff" just by looking at him. I of course put in my personal flair to mark the character as my creation.

Other times I mimic a sort of imbedded anger that I can't seem to get rid of. I can tell you I enjoy making a "fun" character over an "angry" character since I'm constantly pissed off at life and would rather escape for awhile into a more light-hearted world.

Oh, the engineer is going to add in a whole new dimension to play around with when creating a new character, I can't wait.

Deleted
    Asura Female Mesmer
    Sidri was born by a poor couple, her dad left her as a small kid. In the College of Synergetics a teacher named Blipp noticed the potential in Sidri, but as a alchemist and not as a Mesmer... Sidri listened carefully and learned everything Blipp had to learn her and learned. But still she practiced her mesmerizing skills on the boys outside of the college, Blipp noticed this...
    Such teacher he was he once told Sidri: "Follow your heart young Asura, but remember this: a creative mind that is able to improvise and invention things is always handy out there. And believe in the fate of Eternal Alchemy, use your Asuran mind against your enemies cleverly to conquer. One day we, Asuras, will rule the world with our intellect!". And so she left the college for bigger challenges!
    Norn Female Ranger
    Sora was born into a proud and well-known hunting family but her destiny was never meant for hunting bears and other Shiverpeaks animal. She was meant for something bigger, and she always felt it.
    As she grew up she learned how to hunt by her father and she quickly became one of the best bow shooters in Hoelbrak where she lived. But one day she dissapeared, she'd run. She didn't want to live the life of a Norn hunter. She wanted to do something bigger, something great. She wanted to became a hero like Jora, whom she idolized.
    One day she returned to prove herself worthy to become a legend...

Sylvari Female Thief
    ...?

Theese stories ain't completed yet and is to be rewritten and bettered up

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post

I play games as something as an escape into a fantasy world, so don't see the point in trying to recreate myself.
    I have the same outlook. Also, I don't view characters as an extension of myself, I just view them as characters in a video game.

Deleted
    I am a human, male, engineer in real life.
    I'm gonna be one in GW2.

Race check:
    Human irl, human in gw2!
    I don't like Asura and Sylvari much.(almost at all)
    Charr and Norn are good but I think they might be too bulky and their animations wouldn't be not very engineerish, more like warriorish style.

Profession check:
    Engineer irl, engineer in gw2!
    Why engineer? Because I like it, I like to be so in a fantasy world.
    I wouldn't be able to set a turret down and shoot stuff irl, and it feels nice to explore a different concept of what you like.
    -I am sure mister Howard Wolowitz would agree with me.
    Besides, I have a fear of being kited. I hate it to be exact, and until I know details about how gw2 combat is, I doubt I'll play a melee class.
    (That's why elementalist is my back up! - not to mention that he has the capabilities of burning everything close to an engineer)

Gender check:
    Male irl, male in gw2!
    I like females, irl.
    But in a fantasy setting, they just seem too weak in my eyes.
    *War is the province of men, Eowyn.*
    Last edited by mmoc2aad59a6a5; 2012-02-17 at 06:26 PM.

I guess I do sort of see my characters as an extension of myself. Even when reading books I tend to put myself in the hero's shoes. I suppose that's part of why I can't make a female character. I also typically try to play a chaotic good character. I do what I feel is the good thing to do whether it is "legal" or not. I tried lawful good, but sometimes bad people just need to die

Should be interesting in the WvW setting figuring out exactly why I'm fighting against the other servers. Perhaps they are simply the bad guys attempting to steal my server's power and I must defend that power source by either literally defending it or taking the fight to their keep to keep them out of mine. Should be fun.

I like cute comical characters. Played a gnome in WoW - and I'm going to play an asura in GW2~! They're just so cute! And, yes, female because I'm female and for me it is weird when I play male characters lol.

I always tend to play the smallest races (Funny enough i'm actually tall) and i love pet classes. I kinda put my own personality into my chars always overconfident and always the first to run away when things go south :P. I have always enjoyed playing a little guy hiding behind a giant pet its always fun =D.
    Yep

ahaha some people here have thought about this a lot...
    My main is going to be a male Human Thief, I'm planning to PVP a lot. My name will be Crisp, I want to sort of go for something memorable, that looks semi cool and that I look forward to playing, Ive made the mistake of making female characters in WoW getting to max level..than realising I can't stand to stare at it any longer..especially after I have to explain to people I am a guy.
    I love being one of those guys that you have had a past run in with, got your ass handed to you and this time..you run

Generally, this is all a dream as I am not actually very good at any of the games I play but I like my character to be memorable....