Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Everything about this case has annoyed me. The fact that the guy complaining about the prayers used human rights legislation annoys me because human rights laws shouldn't be used to bitch and whine.

Then people such as Baroness Warsi coming out and complaining about Christianity being marginalised annoys me. Christianity is being marginalised because the majority of Brits have no religion or simply believe religion has no place in the running of the state. By all means, feel free to woship whichever deity you fancy, but that's YOUR business, not anybody else's.

Then the government comes out and pulls this shit when there is no popular mandate for it whatsoever. Utterly, utterly stupid and very annoying. How dare they try to keep this outdated practice going when it is obvious that the majority of people agree it should be stopped.

I can see why this would be legal in england where the Church of England is the state religion - still think its bullocks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I don't see why not. they're allowed to hold these meetings, not obliged to if they don't want to.

if atheists attend, they can either respect the religious among them or go and whine to their higher ups.
    Why should atheists be compelled to be involved with prayer in a town council meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    Right. That should change.

Hopefully in my lifetime, it will.
    It wont change - the european monarchies are tied into the state religions - with no state religion there will be no monarchy and most of these monarchies are fairly popular in their respective countries

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    It wont change - the european monarchies are tied into the state religions - with no state religion there will be no monarchy and most of these monarchies are fairly popular in their respective countries
    The prospect of state religion being abandoned is higher than monarchies, though recall that most of the apologists for either tend to be elderly or middle-aged minimum and when they die out.

Though, can't speak for Denmark.

I actually find this utterly hilarious. If the best example Baroness Warsi and her ilk can come up with for the marginalisation of christianity in this country are about prayers being included in the minutes of a meeting, then it shows how little they are actually being marginalised in comparison to various religious groups in other countries that suffer much more. Showing how tolerant we in the secular UK are.
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2012-02-18 at 02:55 PM.

Deleted
    The UK isn't really a secular country so I can understand why the government has done this. Ultimately it really doesn't matter. Most people just ignore religion and couldn't care less if people pray at the start of a meeting or say "god bless you". There are far more important things to worry about.

Although why they don't just pray before the meeting starts or on their own is beyond me. Either way it's not a big deal. The government is just doing this as a little gesture to religious voters.

We should be glad that the religious bloc in this country mostly focus on weird stuff like this rather than on stopping important social progress. Don't compare us to certain states in the US lol.

Quote Originally Posted by john67 View Post
    The UK isn't really a secular country so I can understand why the government has done this. Ultimately it really doesn't matter. Most people just ignore religion and couldn't care less if people pray at the start of a meeting or say "god bless you". There are far more important things to worry about.

Although why they don't just pray before the meeting starts or on their own is beyond me. Either way it's not a big deal. The government is just doing this as a little gesture to religious voters.

We should be glad that the religious bloc in this country mostly focus on weird stuff like this rather than on stopping important social progress. Don't compare us to certain states in the US lol.
    Not really the government, it's just one minster; Eric Pickles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Not really the government, it's just one minster; Eric Pickles.
    Mr. Pickles.

I do find it mildly amusing that whilst all the other politicians refer to one another as "Mr. Cameron" "Mr. Clegg" and so on, they all call Eric Pickles just "Eric". Because lets be honest, Mr Pickles sounds like something you'd call your cat.