Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

The Playstation Vita

So what do you guys think, will it flop or be a successful gamble on Sony's part? I've never been much of a handheld person but the augmented reality and 3d cards are some pretty neat concepts. Also the thought of playing little big planet on a handheld is pretty exciting. But alas, the price tag and I have heard the games for it are still quite buggy. So the vita, success or not so hot?

If Japan is any indication, it will struggle the same as the 3DS did at launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they can get it to emulate what Nintendo promises with the Wii U controller then it will be very successful. The problem with handhelds today is they have to compete with powerful phones and tablets. The Vita is a very powerful device with quality games and functionality but the average consumer is going to wonder why they should shell out another $200 when they phone can play games as well. It doesn't matter that they games on the phone not be as fleshed out as the Vita, they just need something to occupy them when they are on the go.

Sony actually had the right idea with the PSP Go, it was just ahead of its time and poorly implemented. Dollar for dollar, handhelds aren't worth it if you are the average consumer.

Deleted
    Can't speak for other countries, but here in the UK the economy is kind of in the toilet. People just aren't spending money on non-essentials, and £210-£260 (RRP in the UK .. plus the obligatory £30-£40 for a memory card) is a decent chunk of cash to lay down. Consumers are a bit more savvy at the moment, and seeing the prices already being slashed overseas (20% drop in Japan after only a week) will give people pause to consider waiting a bit before buying it.

Not a day 1 purchase for me, but I'll get one in a couple months once the prices have stabilized at their lowest point.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to agree. I think the only really weak point with the system is the price point. The memory card isn't a big deal because it comes with an 8GB card. If you dont put a lot of garbage on it, that should be more than sufficient just for saved games. Later you could always upgrade to a bigger memory card, but it isn't mandatory to have a bigger one on the launch date. Having played it myself, I think it's actually going to be really good. They just have to lower that price point down some...even $199 for the regular and $249 for the 3G model would be better IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking only for myself, the Playstation Vita is utterly pointless. I would probably floss more often than I'd use a portable gaming device, and flossing is something I don't do much of. There are no scenarios wherein I would want/need one. Around the house? Nope, got a TV, books, and a desktop. Travel? Nope, I'm the driver. Work? Of course not.

Deleted
    Well, i DID buy the 3DS on release day here in europe and I don't regret buying it at all, but seeing how it plummeted a hundred euros just after half a year I'm gonna sit this one out until it's cheaper, too.

Haven't bought a handheld since gameboy advanced so idc either way

Deleted
    No, not until it drops significantly in price anyway.
    I've got a PS3 already so the only real reason i'd actually buy the thing is for the difference in games, the portability doesn't really interest me a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bought a 3DS and I am satisfied with that, I saw how the DS was more successful than the PSP, and I know the 3ds will be more successful than the Vita, so why waste the money for a handheld that Sony is just going to forget about in 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Alteka View Post
    Bought a 3DS and I am satisfied with that, I saw how the DS was more successful than the PSP, and I know the 3ds will be more successful than the Vita, so why waste the money for a handheld that Sony is just going to forget about in 2 years?
    Just because the DS sold more than the PSP that doesn't mean anything. The PSP has a great library of games and is up around 80 million units sold at this point. The Vita is selling much better than the PSP did at this time in its life as well.

Anyways, I bought the first edition bundle and love everything about it so far. Its very powerful, the OLED screen is amazingly nice and having dual analog sticks is great. The AR function is quite fun, played a level of Little Deviants where I was shooting robots flying around my living room. The browser works better than most smartphones and way better than the PS3 browser, just sucks that it has no flash. The touch screens work like a charm, very responsive. Played the Uncharted demo and it was basically like playing the first UC for PS3, graphics and all. Apps are being released on the 21st such as Netflix, Facebook, Twitter and flickr. Netflix alone just adds to the value in my opinion.

My only complaints are the short battery life and awkward button placement. A game requiring both analog sticks AND the buttons(not L and R but triangle,X..etc) would be harder to play.

I think if this thing has a really good software lineup in the future, that it will do very well! It has an amazing launch lineup and many big names such as Bioshock and CoD announced for it. Being able to play a game like Mass Effect on the go is something I look forward to as an avid gamer. The price issue confuses me the most though, when it was announced everyone carried on about 'oh this thing is going to be like $400', the price is announced and everyone's jaws drop and people go on about how amazing the price is. Now that its finally released its back to 'oh this thing costs to much'. For the tech that's in this thing $250 is very reasonable.

Personally I don't expect it to take off for at least 6 months simply because its lack of future title announcements. Come E3 this year though I think the tables will turn.

15+ Year Old Account
    Face it portables are being replaced by smart phones and tablets. Why would you pay $200 for something that has a smaller screen and is less capable? If I was to buy a Sony portable I would aim at the Sony tablet, at least then when I lose my damn remote I can use the tablet for it. :P

i had a go at eurogamer on one, nice things and games look great but its just another overpriced gimmick. Not for me.

Deleted
    It looks pretty good tbh, Im gonna wait until the end of the year though and see if they release some decent games.

i think the vita is an intesting idea but as far as i can see with the lanch titles don't use the part i am the most intseted in the 3G almost no game has online multiplayer via Wifi or 3G.

i mean modnation dosen't have online multiplayer how is this meant to compete with mario kart? there are lots more where it has local co-op but no wifi co-op or 3G witch is really a shame

and seeing as the 3DS has some good tittles allready it might be hard for the vita to get a good foothold tho it is not to late yet they just need tose must get game on the vita i am not seeing it yet, i am not seeing the vitas answer to pokemon

All in all its a good system but theres one thing that kills it for me. No good titles. Not even in the pre-release sections of places that sell it do I see anything good in the next few months. I know I'll end up getting one but after what happened to the 3DS, ya I'll wait for the price drop and hope they have some more solid titles. I just hope Sony learned something from the PSP and gets behind the Vita early and starts doing good title development and not bad ports.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    Face it portables are being replaced by smart phones and tablets. Why would you pay $200 for something that has a smaller screen and is less capable? If I was to buy a Sony portable I would aim at the Sony tablet, at least then when I lose my damn remote I can use the tablet for it. :P
    Define "less capable". Because a full set of gaming controls strikes me as more capable, not less.

One thing that kills me about the Vita, If your battery takes a shit, you have to replace the whole unit, because the battery cannot be replace by itself! That right there ruins it 100% for me especially at the outrageous base price of $249! Simply not worth buying the 1st gen Vita!

Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    One thing that kills me about the Vita, If your battery takes a shit, you have to replace the whole unit, because the battery cannot be replace by itself! That right there ruins it 100% for me especially at the outrageous base price of $249! Simply not worth buying the 1st gen Vita!
    This.Is.Just.BS. Why do they come up with such stuff. If you go to replace it the warranty is done and shit like this. Hate those *snip*.

Watch the language. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-02-19 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    Just because the DS sold more than the PSP that doesn't mean anything.
    Yes it does. It means it was more successful.