Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    But, back to the Vita: In person, how much are you actually noticing the extra graphical horsepower? Looking at screenshots of Uncharted: Golden Abyss and comparing it to the 3DS's best title, Resident Evil Revelations, the Vita is definitely pushing some extra polygons and higher resolution textures, but on that small of a screen is it even noticeable?
    After playing Uncharted on my Vita I would compare it to the first UC released on the PS3. It is right up there and it doesn't even utilize the full resolution of the screen. Right now the best looking game in my opinion is Fifa. Take a look at this screen and tell me what you think?

Also the difference is very noticeable on the small screen. Its an OLED screen so the colours, backgrounds and characters just jump out of the screen!

10+ Year Old Account
    My biggest problem is that I cannot use PSP games in the PSVita. In my opinion, I do not want to purchase something from the PS store, only to "digitally" own it. I want a hard copy that I can say, I own this, it is mine.

I want to buy the Vita for the Persona 4 remake that I've been hearing so much about and to play Persona 3 portable among many others, however if I need to download them, that's a huge turnoff for me.

Deleted
    I had a quick go on the Sony Vita this afternoon. The OLED screen is fantastic but I was left unimpressed by the dual analogue sticks. (which is a shame because I've been waiting years for a handheld to implement them)

I felt the small dual sticks were too 'soft' and 'squishy'.

Also I can't help but think the Vita was designed with Asians/Children in mind due to its size and ergonomics. The unit feels too small in my large European hands. (I'm 6ft 2")

Quote Originally Posted by razisgosu View Post
    My biggest problem is that I cannot use PSP games in the PSVita. In my opinion, I do not want to purchase something from the PS store, only to "digitally" own it. I want a hard copy that I can say, I own this, it is mine.

I want to buy the Vita for the Persona 4 remake that I've been hearing so much about and to play Persona 3 portable among many others, however if I need to download them, that's a huge turnoff for me.
    Sadly, if you want to play PSP titles you'll need to download them from PSN, it looks like PSP Passport didn't make it here. As fo Persona 4: Golden (oh how I'm waiting for that game), it should come out normally on physical media.
    Oh and let's not forget Disgaea 3: Return.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

Deleted
    It's clear that the game was made with consoles in mind--likely the Xbox 360--because the PC only makes it incrementally better.
    Its from bethesda.. just look at the improvements the community has made after 3 months.

But, back to the Vita: In person, how much are you actually noticing the extra graphical horsepower? Looking at screenshots of Uncharted: Golden Abyss and comparing it to the 3DS's best title, Resident Evil Revelations, the Vita is definitely pushing some extra polygons and higher resolution textures, but on that small of a screen is it even noticeable?
    i agree.. its why i prefered the DS to the psp.

---------- Post added 2012-02-21 at 03:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    After playing Uncharted on my Vita I would compare it to the first UC released on the PS3. It is right up there and it doesn't even utilize the full resolution of the screen. Right now the best looking game in my opinion is Fifa. Take a look at this screen and tell me what you think?

Also the difference is very noticeable on the small screen. Its an OLED screen so the colours, backgrounds and characters just jump out of the screen!
    yeah it looks v nice.. but again its fifa. A game i would never play on a handheld because i love it so much on a console. The online is brilliant and its amazing playing with mates before going out so do i need to pay another £30-£40 again for the same game? Vita needs original games and some no1 else really offers.. god of war BEFORE a console version. Metal gear solid (try to get exclusives), killzone etc

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's really neither here nor there, but that's not really accurate at all.

It's clear that the game was made with consoles in mind--likely the Xbox 360--because the PC only makes it incrementally better.

It's typical of most games though these days, consoles are holding PC's back from having drastically better visuals, not to mention causing all sorts of compatibility and playability problems for PC gamers. Rage and Skyrim are prime examples of games that were completely useless at release and took more then a few weeks to start getting the kinks worked out. Also, the design of most games today is very console friendly, many of the best looking games lack dynamic textures and they over use grey scaling instead of using colour in hopes that is will run better.

well since i have the PSP 3000 there is no need for me to get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Touched my first Vita tonight at Target. I don't know if I'm convinced by those thumbsticks. Honestly--and this isn't just the fanboy in me talking--I think I prefer the thumbpads on the 3DS. Although it is slightly more natural to have sticks than pads, the Vita's sticks had so little play from neutral to fully engaged that it came off feeling less natural than I would've thought.

Deleted
    the Vita's sticks had so little play from neutral to fully engaged that it came off feeling less natural than I would've thought.
    This is exactly the same issue I had with the Vita sticks. It hardly feels 'analogue' when you go from a neutral position to maximum with very little force.

I don't think it will do so well because there is simply too much competition from smart phones, I for one will not get the Vita because I really can't find any use for it, I spend most of my gaming time on a PC and if I have a free minute then I would just play on my Ipod Touch

Quote Originally Posted by Millennía View Post
    I don't think it will do so well because there is simply too much competition from smart phones, I for one will not get the Vita because I really can't find any use for it, I spend most of my gaming time on a PC and if I have a free minute then I would just play on my Ipod Touch
    Smartphones are far from competition. They are bought as phones, not gaming devices. They have no stellar games and they have no controls beyond touch screens. Same with an Ipod touch. People buy ipods/pads for multimedia purposes, not gaming simple because their gaming consists of java games that can be played for free on a PC. Also as the 3DS is showing, neither tablets or smartphones are affecting the handheld market. In fact it is the strongest it has ever been!

Smartphones are far from competition. They are bought as phones, not gaming devices. They have no stellar games and they have no controls beyond touch screens. Same with an Ipod touch. People buy ipods/pads for multimedia purposes, not gaming simple because their gaming consists of java games that can be played for free on a PC. Also as the 3DS is showing, neither tablets or smartphones are affecting the handheld market. In fact it is the strongest it has ever been!
    Yeah, I don't really get the smartphone argument. I've had a 1st gen iphone, 3gs, Galaxy S, and now a Galaxy s2. I've played games on all of them, but bought none of them for games. Most games are so casual, I compare it to playing snake back in the day on my nokia phones. Sure there are some 'real' games available, but not having dedicated controls really limits what developers can do, and I hated trying to play something like shadowgun using the virtual analog sticks. I'm sure smartphones eat at market share at least a little bit, but you really can't compare the quality of games on a phone/tablet and a handheld. At least not yet.

I picked up a vita on my way home from work today and I've been messing around with it for a while. I'm impressed so far but can't say how much I'll actually play it 6 months from now. I also got a psp on launch, and after a while (don't remember how long) ended up trading it in. Forward a few years later and I bought another one, but it ultimately met the same fate. I'm hoping the vita can deliver a more console like gaming experience, and so far I'm enjoying it but I've only played Uncharted and Modnation. I bought my son a 3ds a while back and thought of getting one for myself, but the games just didn't seem interesting enough to me. Either way I like new gadgets, and if I tire of it I'm sure my son will take it off my hands if I don't get him one before then.

Deleted
    unless you can some how make phone calls on it, its not worth the box it comes in.
    Not saying it isn't a great piece of tech, but since mobile phones have the power to play games in a pretty good res, brows the net, make phone calls, + many other things, having a dedicated hand-held games system just don't make much sense.

Sony has been pitching their consoles/handhelds on the expensive side for a long time now. Doesn't seem like a very smart positioning in the current climate. Or in any really, remember this graph?

http://www.pen.eiu.edu/~ardavis2/graph2.png

Look at the pricy consoles, they're all the doomed ones. Nintendo really knows what it's doing pitching cheap consoles with accessible broad-appeal games.

So does Sony intend to keep making PSPs and PSP Gos in addition to these Vitas? They said the Go wouldn't replace the old PSP so...? Seems like they're just confusing the hell out of their product lineup which already has limited appeal. They're kind of SEGA-ing their brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    unless you can some how make phone calls on it, its not worth the box it comes in.
    Not saying it isn't a great piece of tech, but since mobile phones have the power to play games in a pretty good res, brows the net, make phone calls, + many other things, having a dedicated hand-held games system just don't make much sense.
    The Vita can make phone calls and for a fraction of the price of cellphones (once the skype app is released in the coming weeks). It also has a web browser that is actually faster than most smart phones, minus flash and html 5 but they are in the works as well. As of today it also has netflix, a facebook app, twitter app, and flickr app and that's only the apps available day one. Find me a smartphone as powerful as the Vita, has all those options, has NO contracts, less than $10 a month calling fees, quality games and costs $250 or less and maybe than I will believe smartphones offer what a dedicated handheld can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Sony has been pitching their consoles/handhelds on the expensive side for a long time now. Doesn't seem like a very smart positioning in the current climate. Or in any really, remember this graph?

http://www.pen.eiu.edu/~ardavis2/graph2.png

Look at the pricy consoles, they're all the doomed ones. Nintendo really knows what it's doing pitching cheap consoles with accessible broad-appeal games.

So does Sony intend to keep making PSPs and PSP Gos in addition to these Vitas? They said the Go wouldn't replace the old PSP so...? Seems like they're just confusing the hell out of their product lineup which already has limited appeal. They're kind of SEGA-ing their brand.
    Why don't you add inflation to those old consoles. That $200 NES in 1986 is over $400 now. Also I only see one expensive Sony console on that list and its been the second best selling console since its release in 2006 and is now only 3 million units behind the 360, which was released one year ahead of it. It also single handedly allowed Blu Ray to dominate. The PS2 is STILL the best selling system ever created, the PS1 is the 4th best selling system ever and the PSP is sitting at 73million sales and is still selling strong. Sony has stated they have sold out their First Edition Bundle Vitas. So what exactly are they doing wrong that is making them look like SEGA? Nintendo's cheap consoles has lost them nearly as much money as Sony in the last year and that was even with the PSN fiasco.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1217295p1.html

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/
    Last edited by Alcomo; 2012-02-23 at 03:22 AM.

Got it this morning and its awesome aside from two things. I'm tethering via my iphone and for some reason it will not download anything via the iphone connection.

Connecting the Vita to my PC gives me an MTP Error 19. Cannot for the life of me fix it, even though I've had this happen on other devices. Cannot fix it for the Vita. So cant transfer stuff using my PC.

Aside from them two issues, it's a great piece of kit. I bought Uncharted, Rayman, Virtua Tennis (Wasnt in stock so will have to wait for it to come in either tomorrow or Monday) and Wipeout (vodafone topup, waiting for code but useless if I cant download ).

Only played Uncharted so far, and errrr, it's immense. Show me a phone which can perform even half as good as that? Ridiculous argument saying phones can play games even at a fraction of the ability of the Vita..

So far so good, just need to sort the teething problems.

[IMG]http://game-smack.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fifa12_vita_screens-4.jpg[IMG]
    Best looking game IMO is Rayman Origins

It looks the exact same as the PS3 version that came out last year

I want a PS Vita, but I kind of want different colors like Dark Green, but knowing Sony...it won't be years until any new colors come to USA.

So far I like everything I hear about it, just hope I don't get one that is bugged or something.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Best looking game IMO is Rayman Origins

It looks the exact same as the PS3 version that came out last year
    Ya it looked very good! One of the funniest and most enjoyable games I have played in a while.

lol what are you talking about. The instructions to change the battery are right in the manual... Its quite easy
    Well the info I got on the battery situation was from a review article in the March GameInformer magazine!