Poll: Which one?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Die right now, easily. After a couple hundred years I'd be filled with so much grief, losing everyone I ever loved and being afraid to allow myself to love others for fear of the knowledge that they would eventually die as well. Sounds like hell on earth to me, I'd much rather go for the unknown of the afterlife.

Deleted
    Live forever, i'd do it just to play video games all eternity.

My personal belief doesn't let me be sad for the people i've lost. In theory though, since i haven't lost anyone serious.
    But my plan is to celebrate their lives instead of being sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thinking about living long-term for a billion years.. ew i'd look like a pair of dingle dangle old age/super old testicles.. I'd die right now thanks LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    If you had to choose between living forever, or dying right now, what would you pick? And living forever, as in for all time. 100 billion years from now when the earth is a cloud of space dust, you'd still have to be alive, floating out there.
    I don't believe in God or Heaven; instead, I hope the afterlife is exactly how you've described living forever. I would love to drift amongst the stars for eternity. There's so much to see; so much to watch.

Die now. I would go crazy from boredom.

God, I think that I'd go crazy from going to say, jail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Live for ever if I didn't feel asphyxiation, hunger or pain from being burned (in case I accidental float into a sun) and had the ability to travel around space.

If none of those then die now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irraticate View Post
    I'm an atheist, and I would choose to die now. I'm content with the work I've done and happy with what I've done for others.

Die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain.
    You know the kind of supervillain obsessed with immortality, omnipotence and omniscience? Well, that's what I would be.
    We will stand above the city, rising high above the streets
    From tops of buildings we will look, at all that lies beneath our feet
    We will raise our hands above us, cold steel shining in the sun
    With these hands that will not bleed, my father's battle will be won!

Drakkosh Zhysta Shivarra Tesela

Deleted
    Weird poll, I would pick "live forever" even if there was no other bad choice and would pick it even if it was "million dollars now or live forever".

As for the future.. Earth will be inhabitable by humans in a billion years and dead in 5 or so but humans will most likely move to other planets much sooner. Even so, Earth will never explode and in 100 billion years, I don't think much would have changed in the universe. Besides, even if it is true that the universe itself will die of cold death, it takes a LOT longer that that. Besides, even if I end up alone in space in billions of years and for some reason don't freeze, who cares, it's still billions of years to live which is like forever. Even imagining living 40k years is hard and it's basically the whole existence of mankind.

Live forever... I don't want to die right now... I have too much to do and see

Live forever! - Could you imagine what i would have built in minecraft in 100 million years?!

No on a serious note - live forever, people keep saying that you wont remember things as a bad thing.. i say - AWESOME. i get to experience ALL of life MULTIPLE TIMES. Fan-Smegging-tastic. I get to experience everything over and over again, but the fruits of my labour carry ever onward!

Then hell, the world crumbles eventually - the sun goes supernova, the blast sends me hurtling into space, I'd ride the darkness of the cosmos with this planet as my vessel Just as my mother did long ago, then one day I'll find a new planet and it's soil create a shining future. (Movie quotes ftw)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincey View Post
    Then hell, the world crumbles eventually - the sun goes supernova, the blast sends me hurtling into space, I'd ride the darkness of the cosmos with this planet as my vessel Just as my mother did long ago, then one day I'll find a new planet and it's soil create a shining future. (Movie quotes ftw)
    The sun will not go supernova:P Ever.. even if humans never invent a way to go to other planets and will be stuck on Earth. It will just get really hot here and Earth will most likely end up inside the sun (but still relatively cool, considering the sun will expand) and will most likely remain intact. If it does, it will probably be possible to survive inside a bunker or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    You have no idea what living forever means. Imagine seeing every one you loved passing away in your arms while you know you will never join them.
    but what happens when you never had anyone to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Weird poll, I would pick "live forever" even if there was no other bad choice and would pick it even if it was "million dollars now or live forever".

As for the future.. Earth will be inhabitable by humans in a billion years and dead in 5 or so but humans will most likely move to other planets much sooner. Even so, Earth will never explode and in 100 billion years, I don't think much would have changed in the universe. Besides, even if it is true that the universe itself will die of cold death, it takes a LOT longer that that. Besides, even if I end up alone in space in billions of years and for some reason don't freeze, who cares, it's still billions of years to live which is like forever. Even imagining living 40k years is hard and it's basically the whole existence of mankind.
    And when you're 10^100 years old, the rest of the universe is completely dissipated, you are surrounded by nothing but blackness and you come to realize that all the time you've lived isn't even a fraction of all the time you have left to live, you won't regret having chosen to live forever?
    Last edited by Dendrek; 2012-02-19 at 10:38 AM.

If I was immune to pain and didn't have to eat/drink/breathe.... yes.

First I'd become Batman.

Then I'd become Ironman.

Then I'd become IronBatMan.

Then I'd become IronBatSpaceMan.

Would propelling myself into a Black Hole cause my end? Because of the warped Space-Time, I would, in a matter of seconds, travel to the end of time itself. And since I only live until the end of time... I'd die, right?

I think I just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    If I was immune to pain and didn't have to eat/drink/breathe.... yes.

First I'd become Batman.

Then I'd become Ironman.

Then I'd become IronBatMan.

Then I'd become IronBatSpaceMan.

Would propelling myself into a Black Hole cause my end? Because of the warped Space-Time, I would, in a matter of seconds, travel to the end of time itself. And since I only live until the end of time... I'd die, right?

I think I just won.
    You're playing with semantics. It's not a terrible argument, but it defies the intent of the question. According to the question, you are unable to die. It wasn't specified that you'd exist "until the end of time" (of course that's one definition of "forever" -- but that's why I called you out for playing with semantics); but being unable to die, which was specified in the question, implies that time has nothing to do with it. You're eternal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Insta-Death and death in general is pretty neat in the fact that when you are dead you are dead and you don't have to give a shit about anything anymore because you no longer exist.

Living forever allows you to acquire vast amounts of knowledge and potential power that may allow you to screw over the universe(a big plus for me).

Both to me are pretty balanced good choices, I would probably have to flip a coin to decide which to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    You're playing with semantics. It's not a terrible argument, but it defies the intent of the question. According to the question, you are unable to die. It wasn't specified that you'd exist "until the end of time" (of course that's one definition of "forever" -- but that's why I called you out for playing with semantics); but being unable to die, which was specified in the question, implies that time has nothing to do with it. You're eternal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    If you had to choose between living forever, or dying right now, what would you pick? And living forever, as in for all time.
    True, it's semantics. But, since the OP defined it as "for all time", I'll take my loophole.

That being said, if my immortality and time itself were not connected... would it even matter? If I'm at the center of a black hole, time-dilation is such that the universe itself would cease to exist in a matter of seconds. Which begs the question... what happens after those few seconds? Would I simply be frozen in that instant when all else ceases to exist, time amongst them?

Just a thought.

Also, IronBatSpaceMan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    You have no idea what living forever means. Imagine seeing every one you loved passing away in your arms while you know you will never join them.
    Join them? Yeah, no. Going into the same "nothing" as them ain't my idea of joining them.

Personally, I can't pick dying RIGHT NOW, since I haven't lived life truly yet, and haven't made or done anything yet. Living forever however, will almost certainly end in misery.

Live forever just because I'm not ready to die yet. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    Insta-Death and death in general is pretty neat in the fact that when you are dead you are dead and you don't have to give a shit about anything anymore because you no longer exist.

Living forever allows you to acquire vast amounts of knowledge and potential power that may allow you to screw over the universe(a big plus for me).

Both to me are pretty balanced good choices, I would probably have to flip a coin to decide which to take.
    How can instant death be considered a neat thing? Life is the big game, and when you die, your out. Life is your time living and being, our playtime, it's all about how we spent this time. "Instant dyring" completely messes with that.