Poll: Which one?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    Okay, you don't require air, food, water, or anything else. And you never feel any kind of pain. But you don't have super powers, you'd have to find some creative way to propel yourself through space
    That's assuming we don't colonize other planets, or meet other races. While the earth may turn into space dust, that doesn't mean you can't find somewhere else to live, or won't have SOME sort of technology to move you along. I'm sure, at some point within that theoretical 100 billion years, mankind would eventually get off this lump of dirt.

As for pain: A friend and I have had a deep discussion about this. Pain is a natural reaction to things that cause bodily harm and/or death. Just as fear is a reaction to the same. If you were completely, 100% immortal, could not die, could not be torn apart, rent asunder, shattered, obliterated, or so much as scratched, would your body even understand the concept of pain? Of fear? If you were born immortal, or if you suddenly became immortal, would it make a difference? Believe it or not, we've spent quite a few hours talking about this subject lol.

As for the question: I would, without a doubt, LOVE to live forever. My curiosity for what happens to humanity after I'm gone burns so intensely it's not even funny. I've actually gotten to the point where I HOPE there's some sort of after-life, so I can watch what becomes of our species.

As for loved ones/friends: After so many millenia, (wow, the spellcheck says that's misspelled...) you'd eventually become accustomed to that loss. Or, you'd just learn to live without. Personally, I'd feel so far removed from the human race that I wouldn't feel the need for a mate or even friends. My sole purpose in 'life' would be to stand by and watch what happens to us. I'm sure at some points in time I'd find myself bored and would take on a mate, or maybe some friends or something, but I can't imagine their loss would affect me much. Their lifespans would be so minuscule compared to mine, I'd barely miss them. Also, would the feeling of losing a loved one/friend fall under the category of pain? If you can't feel pain, and losing someone is considered pain, than you couldn't feel the pain of loss, could you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think my sig answers this question for me.
    Life doesn’t get easier, we just grow stronger.

Deleted
    I would die right fucking now.

- Forever? Thats a long time man, you will see the earth go down, your alone, you'll see the sun explode and destroy the earth, and then.. your just there, doing nothing. And after you just waited for million of years just been in space, you'll see the universe colapse and when you're just there. No thanks.

Depending on what you believe both options could be one and the same.
    I pick neither of the given options.

Deleted
    i intend to live forever anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    How can instant death be considered a neat thing? Life is the big game, and when you die, your out. Life is your time living and being, our playtime, it's all about how we spent this time. "Instant dyring" completely messes with that.

I don't know I just don't see it as much of a big deal. Imagine you didn't have a job and you just couldn't seem to catch a break while the bills were building up, but then the earth explodes and everyone dies. Now you don't have to go looking for a job anymore! You don't exist so there is nothing to give a fuck about because fucks would be impossible to give since you no longer exist. That seems like a win to me. The only problem I have with death is the whole pain thing which is probably annoying and also while you no longer have anything to care about what with the whole no longer existing part there is the trouble of loved ones being upset by your demise but at same time you are obliterated so it wont effect you. Dont get me wrong, life is cool and all that jazz but at same time if I were to find out I was going to be exterminated I wouldn't care to much about it.
    Last edited by Mechazod; 2012-02-19 at 11:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree with the people saying that the pain of watching my loved ones die wouldn't be worth it. I'm sure it will be heart breaking, but I would rather spend the rest of their life living with them, then having to leave them today.
    Research does not consist of eating some lead based paint, checking what people are saying on the forums and then pretending like you know what you are talking about.

15+ Year Old Account
    Live Forever, i want to see the downfall of humanity.

It will happen someday
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Deleted
    I don't know...but life somehow already bores me after 23 years - so the thought of living forever really bothers me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neponc View Post
    I don't agree with the people saying that the pain of watching my loved ones die wouldn't be worth it. I'm sure it will be heart breaking, but I would rather spend the rest of their life living with them, then having to leave them today.
    also. since you live forever after 10000 years i think you would have forgot about them :\

10+ Year Old Account
    Easy one, Live forever. By the time Earth will no longer exist we would of conquered some good advances in travelling through space so NP with me.

Deleted
    Do I live forever alone? If so no. Either live forever with someone I care about or live as I do now, as in for 80 more years at least hopefully (yes, I intend to reach 100).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    And when you're 10^100 years old, the rest of the universe is completely dissipated, you are surrounded by nothing but blackness and you come to realize that all the time you've lived isn't even a fraction of all the time you have left to live, you won't regret having chosen to live forever?
    No..

Because it would be so distant future that it doesn't really matter. It's not like this would happen in 10 years or even 100 years.

But more importantly, there is always a way. This might not happen at all and even if it is inevitable, there are loopholes like parallel universes. So this isn't really relevant. It's like asking "would you kill yourself now because in 40 years you might get hit by a car and become paralyzed?".

But even it was absolutely inevitable then I'd STILL choose it because even that is better than death... besides I might come up with a way to create a new universe eventually:P

15+ Year Old Account
    You every watch the Highlander? Living forever would be a pretty depression life. Having to watch everyone you know die over and over while the world around you slowly crumbles apart..... I'll pass. I'll gladly live whatever my lifespan is and then depart to whatever awaits me afterwords.

Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    I'll pass. I'll gladly live whatever my lifespan is and then depart to whatever awaits me afterwords.
    Not an option. The choices were to live forever or die right now. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    with infinite time even moneys can write shakespeare so maybe i can become god in 1 billion years

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Not an option. The choices were to live forever or die right now. :P
    Yes it is a choice, " live whatever my lifespan is". Basically asking me if I fear dying right at this moment which I do not.

Deleted
    I'd rather die right this instant! Im already bored of this existance so there would be no point in living forever.

Well thinking about it abit, i'd rather die right now even if the choice to live forever was presented. Isn't that the purpose of life anyways?
    You're born and you just pass time up until the point where you get to die. Death is kinda the "reward" of living. Without death life would be pointless.
    I think humans are only afraid of death when it strikes people around them. The constant fear or being left alone, wouldn't it be just wonderful to be the first to go? Not have to experiance death besides your own?

My will to live doesn't come from me wanting to survive so that I can experiance and do more thing with my life. My will to live come from not wanting to put my loved ones through the pain of experiancing my death. So if you were to live forever you would have to handle the death of everyone you know and will ever know. What a fucking nightmare^^
    Last edited by mmocfd36770ff5; 2012-02-19 at 04:18 PM.

With the estimated time the planet has left I'd be pretty confident that an appropriate means of propulsion through space will be developed...so, live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    Okay, you don't require air, food, water, or anything else. And you never feel any kind of pain. But you don't have super powers, you'd have to find some creative way to propel yourself through space
    What happens when you fall into a star or black hole?

And of course the end of universe scenarios, what about those?

---------- Post added 2012-02-19 at 11:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    You could probably deify yourself if you lived forever, especially if it halted things like aging. If I had to choose between that and dying right this second, I'd go for it.
    Reminds me of Warhammer 40k