Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
    So one has a magic aspect, other has tech aspect. What makes the ranger have that "boost"?

And for the sake of arguing about it,
    Wanna feel like a "rangy"?! Solution simple. Be a human, and have not one, but two, and not dogs, but hounds, bathed in fires and blessed by the most awesome god of humanity, with the Elite Skill, Hounds of Balthazar.

:>
    By boost, I meant keeping the ranger on par with the enginner, not being superior. And I'm sure those hounds will have a limited duration and aren't nearly as powerful as a rangers pet. ;P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    By boost, I meant keeping the ranger on par with the enginner, not being superior. And I'm sure those hounds will have a limited duration and aren't nearly as powerful as a rangers pet. ;P
    Yeah sure on par!

But, of course those hounds will have limited duration, but I am quite confident that due to that they'll be roughly 10times as powerful as a regular Ranger pet. They're an elite skill, they better be.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    I never said anyone should?... Calm down. I'm stating the fact that many women have already chosen to play those three, that's all.
    You know, your basis for this information is highly questionable.
    Women don't choose certain classes, just as men don't choose certain classes. Stop with that rubbish.

I'm debating on a Ranger or Guardian as my first class. Beta will determine this though. Rangers will always have the last laugh when their pet comes over and rezzes them.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    You know, your basis for this information is highly questionable.
    Women don't choose certain classes, just as men don't choose certain classes. Stop with that rubbish.
    ...It was a census taken from the players themselves. How is that remotely questionable? I never said women play certain classes, I said that the top three classes played by women would be the Elementalist, the Ranger, and the Mesmer. This is because the players themselves said so. Touchy, touchy.

Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    ...it was a census taken from the players themselves. How is that remotely questionable? I never said women play certain classes, i said that the top three classes played by women would be the elementalist, the ranger, and the mesmer. This is because the players themselves said so. Touchy, touchy.
    the people don't know what they want!

10+ Year Old Account
    - Pet AI doesn't seem that great - dropping down a small ledge 1 span in length = pet paths around. This is from footage not personal experience.
    - Pets seem to be able to take hits well enough for chain pulls of regular mobs with [6] heal when needed.
    - I don't know how pet threat works or if it even exists but from the few videos I've watched pets seem to hold it well. 1 hit and hold. Might be something to do with range rather than threat though.

Anyone know what kiting is like? Or have links to good Ranger CBT footage?

Any info on pet scalability and survivability(e.g. AoE damage reduction trait)?
    it would be bad if my avatar power continue to increase with gear/buffs but not my pet at capped level, would this become an issue in the future?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rife View Post
    - Pet AI doesn't seem that great - dropping down a small ledge 1 span in length = pet paths around. This is from footage not personal experience.
    I'm just honestly wondering, are there any games with pet mechanics which involve the ability to jump over ledges? It seemed like WoW AI for pets was terrible as well, at least for Lock pets as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Rife View Post
    - I don't know how pet threat works or if it even exists but from the few videos I've watched pets seem to hold it well. 1 hit and hold. Might be something to do with range rather than threat though.

Anyone know what kiting is like? Or have links to good Ranger CBT footage?
    There is no threat mechanic in this game. Aggro is determined by a number of factors (range, health, squishyness of target, ect.) Remember in one of the Blackrock dungeons in WoW, there was a boss who would shout something like, "Kill the one in robes you idiots!". Well that's a factor here.

And there's no good players in the beta currently. You'd be lucky to see someone who uses more than two skills, let alone kite properly. Heck, the NPCs probably kite better than most players.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-02-21 at 06:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... anyone else curious what all the "Nature Magic" traits will do?

@Ecstatic Or, you can be a ranger, and have a Hyena as a pet and just use it to call another hyena and still keep one of your super sexy ranger elite skills >=D!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which pets are going to have an emphasis on dealing damage? Or is that not how they're doing pets in GW2?

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 06:50 PM ----------

Here's a decent pvp ranger video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SO2OXA84Qk Also, it looks like necros are crazy OP at the moment from watching this vid. <.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Which pets are going to have an emphasis on dealing damage? Or is that not how they're doing pets in GW2?

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 06:50 PM ----------

Here's a decent pvp ranger video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SO2OXA84Qk Also, it looks like necros are crazy OP at the moment from watching this vid. <.<
    All pets have 4 total skills, 3 are based on their species (wolf, cat, shark, eagle etc) and then 1 skill which you have to activate personally, is based on their family, as in polar bears and grizzly bears will have a different 4th ability.

I -think- each pet species has a different aspect or goes for (IE conditions, raw damage, support, control) and then the 4th skill is an ability that adds variation. Like All canines howl, wolf howl gives a buff, where a hyena summons another hyena

EDIT: After watching that video it appears that that necromancer wasn't doing like any damage and was living forever, i think their goal was to simply outlive anyone they were fighting and let their allies swoop in and kill. And that ranger kept missing with his great sword skills which made me cry inside....
    Last edited by Durzlla; 2012-02-26 at 07:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I smiled moderately
    Crippling Shot 12 Cripple your foe with a single arrow to the knee. Your pet's next three attacks inflict bleeding.
    I used to play guild wars 2, then I took an arrow to the knee.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_ranger_skills

10+ Year Old Account
    When and if I make my Ranger, going to go with-

-Norn
    -Male
    -My pet bear fights at my side and guards my back.
    -The most important quality of a great hero is Instinct.
    -At a recent celebratory moot held in Hoelbrak, I got in a fight.
    -When I was still a cub, I had a vision. A Spirit of the Wild spoke to me and offered its guardianship. That spirit was Wolf.

Mostly going to go into melee range with Sword/Warhorn, and use the Shortbow as needed.
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2012-02-29 at 02:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there's ONE thing I want them to copy off of blizzard, it's the aoe damage reduction pets get. It'll be annoying in WvWvW and you have to constantly rez your pet due to all the aoe going on.

Yogscast ranger spotlight!

I actually didn't really have much interest in the ranger, but now I'm considering it for my main. They have some cool attack animations that really appeal to me. I'll have to look into them a bit more now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Yogscast ranger spotlight!

I actually didn't really have much interest in the ranger, but now I'm considering it for my main. They have some cool attack animations that really appeal to me. I'll have to look into them a bit more now.
    Damn and here I thought I was done making hard decisions. It was hard enough to decide what my main class would be (ranger) now I'm back to deciding whether I should go 1h sword/horn/Longbow or stay with 2h sword/Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    Damn and here I thought I was done making hard decisions. It was hard enough to decide what my main class would be (ranger) now I'm back to deciding whether I should go 1h sword/horn/Longbow or stay with 2h sword/Longbow
    The 1h sword attacks are pretty damn sweet. I like all the dodging around and back and forward it does with the attacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    The 1h sword attacks are pretty damn sweet. I like all the dodging around and back and forward it does with the attacks.
    Yea that's what got me thinking whether I should switch or not, and it looks pretty handy for tight spots in PvP. But 2h sword does have sweet dmg though.... Now i'm deciding whether I should sacrifice dmg for some more mobility.