Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Executing" flower power people by the US military

So I just watched Watchmen on TV, and in the intro - which is pretty close to actual events - you see the US MP firing into flower power people (I guess anti Vietnam War demonstrators) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...QQz7GvY#t=222s - begins at about 3:42)

Did this really happen? Of course I know about the protests then, but I never heard there was there was lethal violence used against those protestors.

---------- Post added 2012-02-19 at 11:08 PM ----------

Oh, I just found it, it really happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings. It's quite curious everyone knows about the Tian'anmen massacre, but all people here in vent - pretty much all from germany, austria and switzerland - never heard about the Kent State Shooting.

kent state university shootings. look it up
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

Yeah, that scene from Watchmen is a dramatization of the Kent State Shootings... It may not be a well known event internationally, but it is certainly well know in the U.S. (especially here in Ohio)... Mention Kent State to almost anyone and the first thing they usually say "Isn't that where the National Guard shot those hippies?". There are even songs by internationally renowned artists about the shootings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6aaaJBAv0

Quote Originally Posted by shocktopuslol View Post
    kent state university shootings. look it up
    The OP already did, read the whole thing before posting.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-19 at 10:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Yeah, that scene from Watchmen is a dramatization of the Kent State Shootings... It may not be a well known event internationally, but it is certainly well know here (especially here in Ohio)... Mention Kent State to almost anyone and the first thing they usually say "Isn't that were the National Guard shot those hippies?".

The OP already did, read the whole thing before posting.
    Guy probably said it before OP's edit. So uh... no u.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    Guy probably said it before OP's edit. So uh... no u.
    The OP didn't edit his post; that little red line gets put up if you post back to back (without anyone posting in between)... Nice try though.

---------- Post added 2012-02-19 at 05:22 PM ----------

Like this.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-19 at 10:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post

[/COLOR]Oh, I just found it, it really happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings. It's quite curious everyone knows about the Tian'anmen massacre, but all people here in vent - pretty much all from germany, austria and switzerland - never heard about the Kent State Shooting.
    The fact that you can look up the Kent State shootings on wikipedia because its not blocked by the US government is one difference.
    In China
    -citizens aren't supposed to talk about or look up the events of Tian'anmen.
    -journalists aren't allowed visit the site

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a great song about the Kent State Shootings called "Tin Soldiers" by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

Tin soldiers and Nixon's comin'
    We're finally on our own
    This summer I hear the drummin'
    Four dead in Ohio
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    There's a great song about the Kent State Shootings called "Tin Soldiers" by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.
    That's the song I linked in my first post, it is a great song indeed!

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I get for not clicking on the youtube links. :P

Edit: Here's the album version I grew up with. Sounds a lot more like Neil Young. Apparently the song is called Ohio, not Tin Soldiers as I always thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GXtQfXBAmM
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-02-20 at 12:05 AM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    Better question is: why were you watching that movie?
    Because it's a faithful, effective representation of one of the best comics ever written, and it's a solid movie besides?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    The OP didn't edit his post; that little red line gets put up if you post back to back (without anyone posting in between)... Nice try though.

---------- Post added 2012-02-19 at 05:22 PM ----------

Like this.
    Ops addition ---------- Post added 2012-02-19 at 11:08 PM ----------

Shocks post Yesterday 10:16 PM <<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    Great movie.

Some might say its filled with "leftists propaganda", but sadly it is possibly the most realistic superhero movie out there.
    eh i can see some right wing viewpoints in it as well its all different points of view

personally I follow Jokers view from mass effect "I don't trust anyone who makes more money then me"
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great movie.

Some might say its filled with "leftists propaganda", but sadly it is possibly the most realistic superhero movie out there.
    Aaannnnd this is why I hate politics. Can't sit down and watch a movie anymore without people interjecting political viewpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by raist474 View Post
    Aaannnnd this is why I hate politics. Can't sit down and watch a movie anymore without people interjecting political viewpoints.
    omg I know! soon as politics enters the conversation any chance of a nice fun time goes right out the window!
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

Deleted
    Great movie.

The most realistic superhero movie out there.
    If it was about superheros I would agree, but it wasn't. There was 1 hero in the movie...his story was ok, but why the fuck would I care about some lame ass guys dressed up in costumes unless they have you know...SUPERpowers because they are SUPERheros.

The idea was awesome, the end result was not even close to good. They should burn every copy of the movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole point of Watchmen is that its full of anti-heroes and 'vigilantes', they are genuinely flawed and it ads a more approachable and realistic touch.
    I personaly feel you didnt quite 'get' the movie, in case you did and still didnt like it, fair enough.
    Psilo - Enhancement Shaman - Argent Dawn EU - People for the Ethical Treatment of Shamans

*Ben*

Quote Originally Posted by raist474 View Post
    Watchmen the graphic novel, was heavily saturated with political viewpoints... So they kinda belong in the conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    If it was about superheros I would agree, but it wasn't. There was 1 hero in the movie...his story was ok, but why the fuck would I care about some lame ass guys dressed up in costumes unless they have you know...SUPERpowers because they are SUPERheros.

The idea was awesome, the end result was not even close to good. They should burn every copy of the movie.
    Watchmen is a comic book that basically deconstructs the superhero archetype. Instead of people with actual super powers, it's just regular joes dressed up in weird costumes (and one legitimately superpowered person who, more and more, just can't bring himself to actually give a shit about us lesser creatures.) There's also a lot of political commentary inherent in it, and since the movie is a very faithful adaptation, it's also present in the movie.

I personally thought Watchmen (both comic and movie) was brilliant and is definitely in the list of "must see/read" movies/books. If you understand the point of it and still didn't like it... hey, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. You're wrong, but that's okay ;D
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok Everybody chill!

I'm not trying to have a political debate in here, all I was doing was praised the movie for adding real issues.

The Dark Night might have been a great movie, but it never showed stuff like Fidel and Nixon getting elected.
    I think the story of Watchmen gets enhanced by adding real world events. It shows the repercussion of costumed crime-fighters on a higher level (The Dark Knight only deals with local politics.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post

Hmmm. So you're saying heroes are only interesting when they have superpowers? I present the following: Batman. The Punisher. And there's plenty more, I'm just not enough into comics to name more. (Hawkeye? Black Widow?)
    And I'm sure there are deconstructions of Superheroes. (If anyone knows, do tell.) Watchmen is a deconstruction of costumed crime-fighters. And a major theme in the book is how they've reached the end of the "hero-era" and entered the "super-hero-era" with Dr. Manhattan.
    As to why you should care: because the characters are interesting and believable? Or do you only care for people if they're AWESOME? (Irony sign)
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    It's quite clear someone didn't watch the movie as it's meant to be watched. If you want a typical superhero movie with a guy with superpowers beating up bad people with superpowers, go watch spiderman or something. If you want to have a more realistic take on superheros, the psychology behind it, a ethical main plot and a realistic environment, go see Watchmen.