Deleted

I see what people mean now

So bit of a back story, i played the game during beta and at launch, loved it but my comp could barely handle it so had to stop playing. Few months later i tried again and it was the same story unfortunately, during this time i just about managed to level a mage to 50, i was in a fantastic guild who made me a load of crafted gear and pushed me through an expert dungeon the second i hit 50 but annoyingly this ended up being the last time i'd play my mage because the spell effects and settings in the dungeons actually made my dangerously low fps even lower, we're talking like 4-5 during times of any spells targetting me so i stopped playing again.

So that was last october-ish, i restarted my sub again (i just couldn't keep away!) at the beginning of january and was pleasantly surprised to see that the game ran a lot better on my computer (i still have to use the low quality renderer, but with the settings all turned up i still manage to pull 40fps or so on my dino computer). I decided to level a new character from fresh because the idea of returning to a character with 5 different specs that i'd barely played in months was quite intimidating, i made 1 of each class and levelled them to 20 so that i'd get a feel for which i would prefer and finally decided on rogue. I then waited for 1.7 (for the xp lock feature) and started to level another rogue from scratch as i'm a completionist and like to do everything at the appropriate level.

Levelling this rogue i was having so much fun, i could complete the "Win 5 warfront" quests at the intended level, i could get everything from the planar goods vendors in each zone before moving on and i could also join every dungeon without ending up having to return to kill green mobs. This rogue is now in his 30s and suddenly out of nowhere boredom started to kick in, i started to do some quests in Scarwood reach and i couldn't quite put my finger on why but it started to get very tedious and dull so i just stopped and thought to myself "is it worth it? how much time will i have wasted grinding through these levels to 50 if i then end up being just as bored there?".

It was then i decided to play my old mage and see wether or not i should carry on, i logged in and just stared dauntingly at my talents and full action bars with no idea what to do, i pressed some random buttons on the target dummy to get my bearings and suddenly saw a quest icon showing up on my minimap. This must have been new i thought as my quest log was already full to bursting point with quests that i'd obviously taken months back from all the npcs in meridian so i rushed over and grabbed it. It was something to do with chronicles and planar attunement, excitedly i quickly scoured my menu bar for the chronicles section and decided to join it.

I won't ruin the chronicle for you, you'll have to do it yourself! but needless to say that this alone was enough for me to decide to plow through those levels on my rogue and get to 50, no matter how grueling those levels are i know that once i hit 50 i will have this world of fun content opened up to me. The greatest thing about this chronicle was something so subtle and small that i doubt even Trion would know the effect that it would have on some people, i finished it and at the end thought to myself "that was amazing but what now?" and suddenly i was surrounded by 4-5 different npcs all offering me quests that would introduce me to every aspect of the game and i was literally just sat there beaming like a chesire cat, it made me tab out and write this long ass story to show my gratitude. Sorry to compare it to wow (i'm not looking to flame) but it's the game i came from and there was no indication at all of things to do at max level there, you just had to hope that you got lucky and hit the hotkey for the pvp/lfg menus to pop up.

I haven't dabbled in IA's yet, i haven't done any of the other chronicles and hell i haven't even been to Ember Isle which people say is absolutely incredible but i am so damn pumped to reach 50 on my rogue and get there, i almost feel bad for even doubting wether i would be bored at 50 or not.

If you managed to read through this entire poorly written mountain of text with my constant misuse and abuse of commas then you're amazing and i love you as much as i love rift.

TLDR? Rift is awesome and it really is the truth when people say that the game opens up at 50!

Good post, and it's very accurate. The levelling can be a chore at times but once you hit 50 it's like the world opens up for you with all these amazing things to do and see.

Luckily you can start doing IA's at 45, it really breaks up the tedium of those last 5 levels.

I recently hit 50 on my cleric and at a few points along the way it was getting farily boring, but everything I had read kept telling me that the fun begins at 50, so I pushed my way through. Being 50 is amazing, I have honestly not run out of things to do yet, I've done dungeons, chronicles, IA's, Invasions, Raiding, Crafting rifts, Raid rifts, been to ember isle... The list goes on (And I havn't even PvP'd yet lol)

Deleted
    Yay, spot on!

For me it took a while to understand the greatness of this game as well,
    but when you finally do, it's amazing.

Alot of people didn't give it an honest chance sadly and disregarded it quickly without discovering the difference between it and other MMORPGs.
    Last edited by mmoc37d8d80d18; 2012-02-20 at 01:12 PM.