Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Convince me 2h frost>DW for pvp.

DW pros:

Razorice for 10% more frost damage.
    Allows to stack more mastery because of the 3% hit you get from talents.
    More killing machine procs.

2h pros:

Higher necrotic strike damage (this is really not a big deal cause necrotic damage is low anyways, the absorb part is based on attack power anyways)
    ?
    ?

I just dont understand why everyone suggest to go 2h frost over DW, in my eyes DW is superior.

I changed to 2h with Gur'thalak 403, and I DONT REGRET.
    I'm doing pretty highhhhh burst damage, it's crazy.
    Just try it for yourself and you will see.

Deleted
    Its because 2h is doing pretty high burst damage
    PS: Try to get Gur'thalak normal or even HC....1 hitting clothies xD

Umm obliterate is kind of crap if thats what you are talking about. YOu need both diseases on the target, a killing machine proc (which is fairly rare for 2h compared to DW) and the target also needs to be cloth). Not to mention i only have access to 378 weapons atm (just started pvp ion my DK again). Sure, if i had access to the 397 or even better 410 i would give 2h a shot and try out obliterate, but i dont see 2h viable with 378 weps.

Also, frost strike does not hit harder with a 2hander than DW with razorice stacked.

Bigger hit's, more burst, hence kills

To be clear i did buy the 378 2h pvp sword first so i have tried both setups.

You should just go unholy anyway to make your team mates life easier.

The consistent RP income from MotFW is what makes 2-hand preferable. Bigger necrotics is a bonus, but the RP is pretty indispensable.

Burst damage, and the ability to get into Tentacle Stick for "increased burst" as well.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

No offense at all but no one has convinced me 2h is superior at all. No one has actually addressed the pro's and cons i listed for either, just people saying "burst is better" when in reality (at least with the 378 weps i have access to) this is false, dw has more burst (discounting a killing machine proc oblit on a caster under 35%). I dont glyph or spec for obliterate in a DW build, its all HB's and FS's, with necrotics for unholy runes while stacking mastery. Im not even in full pvp gear yet (have 3k resil and 1600 mastery so far) and my HB's are hitting harder than some people i see in full 390+ gear doing 2h frost. If i had a LFR or 397 wep i would be tempted to try 2h again but oblits usage is so low even in that build i think rolling with a razorice'd main hand will produce better results.

As for the guy above saying MotFW is why 2h is considered the preferable build i will say two things:

1. The majority that claim 2h is better is for burst.
    2. Once i got the 4 piece pvp bonus i have not once hit an ability that costs RP and not had the RP for it, i have no RP issues as DW frost.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    No offense at all but no one has convinced me 2h is superior at all. No one has actually addressed the pro's and cons i listed for either, just people saying "burst is better" when in reality (at least with the 378 weps i have access to) this is false, dw has more burst (discounting a killing machine proc oblit on a caster under 35%). I dont glyph or spec for obliterate in a DW build, its all HB's and FS's, with necrotics for unholy runes while stacking mastery. Im not even in full pvp gear yet (have 3k resil and 1600 mastery so far) and my HB's are hitting harder than some people i see in full 390+ gear doing 2h frost. If i had a LFR or 397 wep i would be tempted to try 2h again but oblits usage is so low even in that build i think rolling with a razorice'd main hand will produce better results.

As for the guy above saying MotFW is why 2h is considered the preferable build i will say two things:

1. The majority that claim 2h is better is for burst.
    2. Once i got the 4 piece pvp bonus i have not once hit an ability that costs RP and not had the RP for it, i have no RP issues as DW frost.
    I don't understand how anyone can say 2-hand is better for "burst". It has a far lower KM proc chance, so there is less potential for "burst". I suppose you could say that consistently having a full RP bar could equate to more burst, but DW technically has more burst if it gets lucky with KM procs. 2hand has more consistent damage due to RP generation and autoattacks not missing. DW does get the chance to stack more mastery, but that mastery doesn't make up for the lost RP.

As I said, there is some advantage to more powerful necrotics with 2hand, and that you can get endless winter without giving up anything important (all it takes is one missed interrupt because you didn't have the RP, to see the value to free Mind Freeze). But the RP is what makes 2hand superior. Regarding your claim of never being RP starved as DW, may I suggest the possibility that you are being disingenuous with yourself, or are simply not experienced enough? With haste hovering around 60%, you simply do not have the rune regen required for consistent RP generation.

Finally, the burden isn't on us to "prove" to you that 2-hand is a better choice. If you don't think it is better, then don't play it. I'm not inclined to convince you. Either you play 2hand and experience the benefits, or you chose not to, stick with DW and give up the RP for more KM procs.

10+ Year Old Account
    You will OD on the RP with a 2H. It's worth rolling for that fact alone.

Go unholy as you should and you wont have this problem

Well I've had the same problem for quite a while. I've even made a post on this subject earlier. After being 2h in pvp for quite a while (RBG, BG's and Arena) I decided to try out the 2H for a while. I must say, I can defeat a dps 1v1 easier with a 2h, but I really prefer DW on a healer, the NS doesn't make much of a difference with a 2H anyhow. Just play what you like best. I like DW best, so I'm playing that.

I am frost right now because i am grinding honor gear, and obviously frost in better for random BG's lol.

I actually think im gonna make blood my offspec and do rated BG's as a FC because frost and blood share the same reforges pretty much, rather than doing arena as unholy. Im up to 3200 resil and am starting to live past rogue cheap shots now lol (barely).

What everyone else is saying, go unholy in pvp, especially 2's. For 3's and 5's you can get away with being frost. In RBGS do whatever, maybe even dw for those flag carrying maps where your sitting on the fc.

DW = Damage over time
    2H = Burst

You want burst to make a kill, screw waiting for runes to come off CD.

2H = More Runic Power with the bulk of your damage coming from NS and Frost Strike resulting in similar damage to DW except you aren't sacrificing Necrotic Strike for Obliterate because you rarely use Obliterate. The user above me has it reversed, DW has higher burst, 2H has better sustained damage. The user "Fascinate" is around 1600 resil below the normal value and would be better off farming battlegrounds until he has 4.2k+ resil which is easily attainable with honor gear.

Deleted
    i think its cos u skip the obliterate talents to spec into desecration or imp strang,and having obliterate hit with the offhand is a big part of why u go dw,unlike pve ull just be spammin hb/ns/fs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    Go unholy as you should and you wont have this problem
    Some DKs hate Unholy, such as me. I just can't get into it. I feel like I'm not doing it correctly, whereas I've been frosting for a year and I shall continue to do so.

The main difference between 2h and dw is that 2h can (and usually should) use death runes for ns which makes more pressure. As dw you won't RP starve if you use 4xHW and 2xNS. That's what makes the difference. As DW you can't use 4xNS or you will rp starve. Otherwise you won't starve as DW. I prefer 2h just because you can use NS more.

Surely 2h has more RP but DW will not suffer from lacking it if you can play it right. Also DW is awesome for bgs and i would stick to that if i was farming honor gear. For arenas you should to 2h or uh imo. I used to DW in the arenas but i found 2h a lot better because the pressure is higher.

Ppl saying you have to be uh in the arenas don't know too much. Frost does just fine and is even better for some comps.
    So if you like frost more, then just stick to it!