Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dynamic Event Griefing...

I've searched and googled but I still have no answer. What if someone goes to a dynamic event and just sits in the canon and shoot in the air while doing minimal dmg to the boss. I know there's no "fail" but it still would suck for everyone that got their gang together and they get trolled by someone who's feeling antisocial. Can someone please point me to some solid details on my inquiry?

Not possible. If you don't contribute enough to an event, it doesn't count you and so doesn't scale up or reward you.

Also, there are fail scenarios for each DE which cause different outcomes, so you can fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaholic View Post
    I've searched and googled but I still have no answer. What if someone goes to a dynamic event and just sits in the canon and shoot in the air while doing minimal dmg to the boss. I know there's no "fail" but it still would suck for everyone that got their gang together and they get trolled by someone who's feeling antisocial. Can someone please point me to some solid details on my inquiry?
    It was discussed, and they need to actually participate. Just sitting there and doing nothing will not get any participation-points towards the event so you will not be rewarded.
    But if for example a turret is needed to do the event properly and they are all "occupied" by people who are not using it it could hurt you. But, thats only if there are events with such mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a minimum level of participation that is required on each player's behalf before the event will take that player into consideration for scaling purposes. Yes, you could theoretically scale the event by just doing the minimum amount of damage or completing the minimum amount of objectives, but since these thresholds will differ from event to event and no one will know exactly what the minimum amount is, it will make this kind of griefing pretty much impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    After ArenaNet design an event, they go back and try to work out how they can grief it.
    If it's possible to grief it they fix it, and if they can't fix it they remove the event.

Try watching this, you can click "griefing" on the right to take you right to that part of the presentation. That said, it's a very good video and is worth watching in full.
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-02-20 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks Mif and crew...

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doubt they can put anything realistic up for such problems.
    Everything they could develop would also be used as a form of griefing if its a group of players trying to grief the fight. Any vote system could be used to grief, and to put a minimum dmg limit would ruin it for players who come later on. Only solution I can think up atm would be that you report players to the GW2 version of GMs and they would look into it. Also i think the fights are balanced so that even if 1/6th of the players in the event aren't doing anything you'd still get it down.
    Unless you have any ideas, else lets hope no one wants to grief on launch day

Edit: seems the answer was already posted :P
    Last edited by Hideous; 2012-02-20 at 07:04 PM.

I've searched and googled but I still have no answer.
    Probably didn't look too hard considering there are countless threads and posts about it (including sticky posts). Events can't be griefed because if some noob or a-hole sits in a cannon, in your example, he won't count towards the event. He won't get ANYTHING out of it once it's completed and the game won't recognize that he's sitting there practically AFKing while the dragon is about to swallow that town.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hideous View Post
    Doubt they can put anything realistic up for such problems.
    Everything they could develop would also be used as a form of griefing if its a group of players trying to grief the fight. Any vote system could be used to grief, and to put a minimum dmg limit would ruin it for players who come later on.
    I'm not sure what you mean here... care to explain?

Mif's link answered EXACTLY what I wanted to know to a T!!!! Thanks homie...
    Last edited by Alkaholic; 2012-02-20 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freehoof View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean here... care to explain?
    Basically, for the event to increase in difficulty, the person has to be taking an active role in it. So if 10 people show up but do nothing, there might be a temporary spike in difficulty, but it will drop back down once the game recognizes them as being afk. That's the simple explanation, and I'm sure Anet has a much more sophisticated system implemented, we just don't know all the specific details (and will never know so that people won't get any specific ideas on how to exploit it).

Yeah there have been many threads on this. Don't know the links off the top of my head, but I remember seeing a few on guildwars2guru.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Basically, for the event to increase in difficulty, the person has to be taking an active role in it. So if 10 people show up but do nothing, there might be a temporary spike in difficulty, but it will drop back down once the game recognizes them as being afk. That's the simple explanation, and I'm sure Anet has a much more sophisticated system implemented, we just don't know all the specific details (and will never know so that people won't get any specific ideas on how to exploit it).
    Right. Are you sure you're quoting the right person? I'm not sure how that all entails what Hideous was talking about - how the system in place to prevent griefing could be used to grief, how a minimum damage limit would "ruin it for players who come later on," or how he doubts "they can put anything realistic up for such problems."

im sure there will be those dedicated few that figure out how to job the system and ruin it for everybody else. their staff actually gives me hope that they will come down on dedicated griefers like a ton of bricks

Deleted
    I think as long as you know that your taking part (and your mates, guildies etc are), then there shouldn't be any worry for the people doing diddly-squat as the game will recognise that they're doing just that, and reward you justly. Thereby, letting the "griefer" know they've actually wasted they're own time (unless, ofc, they are truly afk).

10+ Year Old Account
    Mif's link answered EXACTLY what I wanted to know to a T!!!! Thanks homie...
    Yay, glad to help

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    After ArenaNet design an event, they go back and try to work out how they can grief it.
    If it's possible to grief it they fix it, and if they can't fix it they remove the event.

Try watching this, you can click "griefing" on the right to take you right to that part of the presentation. That said, it's a very good video and is worth watching in full.
    Mif, I swear every other one of your posts is something I have never seen before lol!

Deleted
    AFAIK in beta you can just afk around the event and you scale it for other players

anyway, I don't see why is it such a big deal, it's not like people will be going around griefing events over and over, they'd get bored quickly, you could go play PvP in that time

For the direct cannon scenario the OP listed while a large enough group decideing to grief like that could make the encounter harder by the very fact that the cannons are unable to be used the event wont scale up any to account for them. In addition one of the major examples where we see cannons involved in a big DE there are fight mechanics that target the folks in the cannon that need people outside the cannon to deal with. Tequatle the sunless sends these finger bone things out to attack the cannons. if nobody kills them they rip the cannon driver right out of his seat and throw him away. if someone tries to grief by not useing the cannon all the other people have to do is back off for a few moments, wait for him to get thrown and have a new player jump in the cannon while the others kill the finger. griefer dethroned. I wouldnt be surprised if many DE's with cannons have similar mechanics that can be used to eject a non participant from blocking the DE if folks around him are paying attention.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    I could see people attacking creatures and such so that they scale up and become more dangerous tho..