Thread: No Mounts?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am not sure it is possible to just brawl in the open. I think all PVP happens in The Mists/Battle Isles.
    I'm pretty sure you're right. I thought I read they didn't want people to worry about the other factions (worlds?) while they're PvEing, so the only place you can PvP is in the BG/WvWvW maps.

If you watch the masses of videos up at the moment you'll see that they really aren't needed, in my oppinion anyway. You run across new things to do faster than you could summon a mount in vanilla wow

And if you want to get across the map fast without doing those events (dont see why you would personally but anyway) thats what the waypoints are for

Quote Originally Posted by Naxcis View Post
    If you watch the masses of videos up at the moment you'll see that they really aren't needed, in my oppinion anyway. You run across new things to do faster than you could summon a mount in vanilla wow

And if you want to get across the map fast without doing those events (dont see why you would personally but anyway) thats what the way points are for
    Because fighting gets tiresome after a while and players are likely to just wanna run to the target of destination with as little, "Oh, I'm being attacked by centaurs. Again."

Also, way points have to be unlocked first. Which could be potentially burdensome if your friend Sally Standsinfire needs help in the verdant Gumdrop Fields but your closest way point is over by Inconvenience Hill.

There are many reasons why travel by speedier means is desirable in large game worlds. Particularly as they mature.

Fun fact: Inconvenience is actually bad design.

Because fighting gets tiresome after a while and players are likely to just wanna run to the target of destination with as little, "Oh, I'm being attacked by centaurs. Again."

Also, way points have to be unlocked first. Which could be potentially burdensome if your friend Sally Standsinfire needs help in the verdant Gumdrop Fields but your closest way point is over by Inconvenience Hill.

There are many reasons why travel by speedier means is desirable in large game worlds. Particularly as they mature.

Speed boosts ftw Or so I hope.
    But you're right, there's a definite tradeoff between wanting your gamers to see the content and the inconvenience factor of having to brawl through a ton of mobs to get to point B.
    The other thing though...in GW1 I believe that if you group with someone whose discovered a waypoint (map travel point) then they can teleport you there? Would be surprised if they didn't have this is GW2, particularly with the sidekicking scaling up as well.

have fun getting around all
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    The other thing though...in GW1 I believe that if you group with someone whose discovered a waypoint (map travel point) then they can teleport you there? Would be surprised if they didn't have this is GW2, particularly with the sidekicking scaling up as well.
    No you couldn't.
    You could group with someone and they could run to another city, and when they went through the portal you would to, but that is completely different.
    That's just them travelling to the location on foot instead of you travelling on foot, with them running past mobs instead of you trying to do so, with special builds designed to do so.

How pretentious of you. If the designers of the game, who actually know and have some experience with design, think that not having ground mounts will lead to the world feeling the most open and explorable within their system, I'd tend to support their opinion more than some random guy. Or would you rather be able to instantly teleport from any place to any other place at will? That's the most convenient method of travel, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Definetly. A game doesn't "need" mounts, per se. But it's important to realize that mounts are just a screen door for expedient travel. Whether you wanna ride a Sparkle Pony, pop your +1000% run speed signet or travel by Charr pulled rickshaw is irrelevant.

And certainly not related to this outright nonsense of "small world size", "fight all the DEs!" or "PVP mang!"

That would, in fact be bad game design.

Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    have fun getting around all
    I'm sure I'd have much more fun going around to other games (that I have no interest in) threads pointing out things I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    I'm sure I'd have much more fun going around to other games (that I have no interest in) threads pointing out things I don't like.
    I is greatly confused

If they add mounts in the future I really hope they just make a horse for humans, mechanical something for asua, bear for norn etc. I don't want mount collectors in GW2, just make them for travel. Maybe they can add different mount skins for collectors to collect...but keep it simple.

I is greatly confused
    Iunno, jumping into a thread with "Have fun with your long travel times, gw2 players!" is slightly obnoxious.
    If I misunderstood, apologies.

Iunno, jumping into a thread with "Have fun with your long travel times, gw2 players!" is slightly obnoxious.
    If I misunderstood, apologies.
    i dont have the patience for slow travel is all
    and gw2 sounds interesting but last i heard fighting resources are based on your ability to dodge attacks which just sounds odd

I hate the fact that there are no ground mounts...I don't want to see rare mounts or meta mounts, I want to see PERSONAL mounts...1 per character, customizable and evolving as you adventure together...

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I hate the fact that there are no ground mounts...I don't want to see rare mounts or meta mounts, I want to see PERSONAL mounts...1 per character, customizable and evolving as you adventure together...
    i rather have mounted combat, a man can dream

i dont have the patience for slow travel is all
    and gw2 sounds interesting but last i heard fighting resources are based on your ability to dodge attacks which just sounds odd
    You have dodge resources. You can cast while moving, but not while dodging. The only way dodging will reduce your 'fighting resources' is that it will make you unable to cast for the 0.5 seconds that you are rolling.
    There are no fighting resources, so how dodging would lower your fighting resources is beyond me.
    Also, it's hard to call it 'slow travel' when you can open your map and instantly teleport somewhere, similar to Skyrim.

No you couldn't.
    Well, poo to that idea then lol. I can see them implementing something though to make sidekicking and scaling up more convenient. I just can't see Anet allowing having to run ppl to locations like they did in GW1, it seems against their design philosophy.
    Also, would definitely think we'll see mounts in combat. Underwater shark jousting anyone?

Ground mounts maybe, but flying mounts really took something away from WoW. Sure they were convenient but it made the world feel so empty.

You have dodge resources. You can cast while moving, but not while dodging. The only way dodging will reduce your 'fighting resources' is that it will make you unable to cast for the 0.5 seconds that you are rolling.
    There are no fighting resources, so how dodging would lower your fighting resources is beyond me.
    Also, it's hard to call it 'slow travel' when you can open your map and instantly teleport somewhere, similar to Skyrim.
    teleporting sounds a tad broken in an mmo

teleporting sounds a tad broken in an mmo
    skipping content by flying over it feels so much more logical indeed.