Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

(Enh) Blood Fury

I'm currently levelling an enhancement Shaman, who is at level 70 at the moment, and I'm loving it. I chose Orc primarily for the racial. But what I need to know is when the best time to use Blood Fury is. Do I use with BL, and trinkets? Also how do I work my Spirit Wolves around this?

As far as I know, BF is off the GCD. But any information would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on fight really but normally should be included into your Wolf/Trinket macro unless you want to save it to for the small dps boost to help kill a ooze thing on Yorashjor something like that.

Morchok- Use it in the beginning and then should have enough time to use it again.
    Zon'ozz- Use it with your wolf/trinket macro on the first dark room phase
    Yorashj- Use it on pull with wolf/trinket macro and should be able to use it again on lust phase.
    Ultra- Use it on pull with wolf/trinket macro and should be able to use it again with wolf/trinket macro
    Warmaster- Use with wolf/trinket macro
    Spine- Use it with wolf/trinket macro to burn first tendon then again with wolf/trinket macro on last tendon
    Madness- Use on cooldown?

This is just personally where i would use it and going by 10 normal...It all just depends on the timing of the fights. Some1 might have some math behind it that using it on cooldown is more beneficial but personally i play a Dwarf so haven't looked into it all that much but yeah goodluck. Also its 2minutes so you can use it more often then wolfs but trinkets are generally 2minutes so its probably good to always use it with trinket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I have it Macrod in with Stormstrike that way I have one less CD to think about and it gets used on CD
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Doesn't scale multiplcatively with anything because it's just AP, use it on cooldown - preferrably lined up with burn phases.

I find that "lining up cooldowns" isn't worth it for enhancement. Our dps is so flat and consistent that we really don't have anything worthwhile to "line up" with. I use trinkets/tinkers/wolves/etc on cooldown by binding them into SS/LL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, are Wolves off the off the global CD? I can macro them in with something else and never have to push that button again?
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Wolves are on the GCD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay I thought so. I must have misunderstood the guy above my last post

S

Quote Originally Posted by Dave131 View Post
    Okay I thought so. I must have misunderstood the guy above my last post

S
    I should've been more clear there. I use wolves manually via keybind when they're up and all the higher-priority skills are on CD, but trinkets/tinkers are bound into SS/LL.

Personally, I have it Macrod in with Stormstrike that way I have one less CD to think about and it gets used on CD
    I do exactly this. I bind Lifeblood (herb racial) and BF to SS/LL to make sure i use them on CD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waat View Post
    I should've been more clear there. I use wolves manually via keybind when they're up and all the higher-priority skills are on CD, but trinkets/tinkers are bound into SS/LL.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarro777 View Post
    I do exactly this. I bind Lifeblood (herb racial) and BF to SS/LL to make sure i use them on CD
    As a budding enhancement shaman my advice to you is to not do this.

The reason you should have your "BOOM" button on a separate bind taking up a space on your action bar to be hit during combat instead of macro'd to an ability you use as part of your rotation is because it promotes hitting one of the only cds you have as an enhancement shaman smartly. Bind and forget is easy but then you aren't going to be doing as much dps as you probably want, it's as simple as that. I have my orc racial bound to my Ancient Petrified Seed trinket, which I use (almost) every cooldown, as well as use before popping wolves so they get that enhanced AP.

Hypothetical situation: You are beating on the boss with your racial macro'd into an ability. Your racial comes of cooldown 2 seconds before a boss mechanic that stops you from being able to dps the boss (you go into shadow realm, you are flying through the air, you are doing some other roleplay mechanic, and you stormstrike one last time before said mechanic (as you should).. you just wasted one of your only AP enhancing cooldowns.

You should have it on your bar or macro'd with an on-use trinket that you use smartly during the fight. At first it might seem tedious, but you'll learn when to be popping it in each fight and figure out when you'll have time to pop it way early so it'll be up again for a phase that the boss takes increased damage.

To answer your question about when in the fight is a good time? Right away, then every 2 minutes. Unless you know a mechanic is coming up that will stop you from DPSing the whole time it's up, then wait. Unless that mechanic is 'boss is dead', then pop it anyway.

I pop it before wolves, but I'm not sure if that is a hold-over from an earlier time of wolves taking a "snapshot" of your AP when they spawn, it might be different now. Enhancement dps doesn't have barely any ramp up time, so right away and on CD for a pure tank and spank fight will give you the best dps. Just please get in the habit now of consciously hitting your cooldowns and don't macro them to SS or LL -_-

Edit - to clarify what flaak said, because waat missed his point. He didn't say line it up with other cooldowns (enhancement really has none) he suggested lining it up with the burn phase of a boss, or when the boss is taking extra damage from players. I agree with this statement, and the real trick to mastering your CDs as enhance is knowing when you can pop them early so they'll be up just in time for these burn phases. And to be honest, I think you'd be surprised how often that happens. I could list plenty of the current tier fights that have burn phases that will coincide with our CD use almost perfectly (especially ancient petrified seed, but you won't have access to that without firelands rep) but that's besides the point. Bind it smartly and learn to use your tools at the right time if you plan on doing dps.

TLDR: read the quotes and first sentence.
    Last edited by NPSlow; 2012-02-28 at 01:13 AM.
    Guatama - Enhancement
    Slowbrah - Retribution/Holy
    Jamespage - Demonology PVP
    Evocati (H - Zul'jin) is recruiting for 25 man.
    Visit our website to apply.

Nice long text mr. slowbro, but you forget one thing:
    People tend to forget cooldowns.

We all know that it's "better" to use all of your cooldowns smart and stuff. But macroing them into anything is still better then forgetting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    People tend to forget cooldowns.
    I've never had a problem having mine on a separate bind. It's not like we have many abilities with long cooldowns we need to keep track of. I'm looking at Blood Fury, my on-use trinket and wolves. I keybind two of those together, so really only two buttons to pay attention to. I'm saying that's the trick to doing it right, which is what the OP was asking. There is a wrong way to do it as well as a considerably 'easier' way to do it - keybind it to an ability used often.

Both are better than not hitting it at all, and I agree with you Pope if one is the type of player that will forget she has a cooldown she should be using then maybe it's better to macro it and forget it. However, I don't see any problem with it. I actually enjoy hitting my "BOOM" button as I've lovingly called it, because I can see how much it affects my dps while it's active.
    Guatama - Enhancement

This is the Engineering Glove enchant all over again. It all boils down to knowing the fight and its mechanics. If you forget/wait too long, you're screwing yourself. But only if that little bit of time you wait leads you to a huge burst/damage period (like Magmaw).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    This is the Engineering Glove enchant all over again. It all boils down to knowing the fight and its mechanics. If you forget/wait too long, you're screwing yourself. But only if that little bit of time you wait leads you to a huge burst/damage period (like Magmaw).
    If you have engineering and an on use it gets even worse.
    There are phases where the boss takes increased damage on plenty of fights in dragon soul. Hagara's weakend state, going into the shadow realm on the ooze boss, both parts of death wing (the tendon on spine, during catalysm on face). Plus there are mechanics that stop a melee from dpsing as well like the first boss' stone aoe creep move. I'm sure there's more just not off the top of my head, I'm about to go raid but I think there's a strong case against macro and forget.
    Guatama - Enhancement

Depends on the scenario. For pvp, bind it to your burst trinket (On use agi 2min cd) and for pve I tend to use it on my wolves because they are on the same CD.

Quote Originally Posted by NPSlow View Post
    going into the shadow realm on the ooze boss
    Wait, doesn't the damage-amplifier stay on Zon'Ozz? The only thing that resets is his damagebuff as far as I know. The black phase is just one of the effects you can see when he touches his own lil magic (dumb boss - as always).
    And the one with oozes is Yor'sahj. If you translate "shadow" to "black buff up" this means massive AoE and COULD be a reason to time trinkets/tinkers accordingly.

But regarding trinkets and macro's... if you have a trinket with a 2min-CD and you.. let's say you play a paladin. Then it would be smart to use it in conjunction with wings. If your trinket is on a 1min or 1.30-timer, things get complicated.
    But enhancement doesn't have multiplicative factors like that.

So, mostly use stuff on cooldown. If there isn't a peculiar phase, lust/heroism should be used at the beginning like always, so you won't miss out on the only multiplicative factor you could gain.

Deleted
    Regarding trinkets, I still use Ancient petrified seed as I had no luck in getting a vial so far. But my question is, should I pop it right away on Zonn'ozz or wait for the first black phase? I'm asking because he takes extra damage during the black phases but when I pop it right at the start of combat it's not up on time for the first phase which made me wonder if it's better to wait and use it later during the first phase or whether it's better to pop it right away so I might get an extra use out of it later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Castozor View Post
    Regarding trinkets, I still use Ancient petrified seed as I had no luck in getting a vial so far. But my question is, should I pop it right away on Zonn'ozz or wait for the first black phase? I'm asking because he takes extra damage during the black phases but when I pop it right at the start of combat it's not up on time for the first phase which made me wonder if it's better to wait and use it later during the first phase or whether it's better to pop it right away so I might get an extra use out of it later.
    Pop it right away - together with wolves and prepot - should result in most dps.

You guys are silly. The only fight that requires 'burst' damage is heroic Spine, and even now with the soon to be 10% nerf it's a joke. People always like to say 'time your cooldowns with other big cooldowns and burn phases', ignoring the fact that you are wasting valuable uptime over the course of the entire boss fight. Do you honestly think its best to 'save' Blood Fury for a that one lust of a fight? Of course not. Its better to use it 5 times on a 10 minute fight than 3 times, saving it for double pots and lust phases.

Use it immediately. Use it as soon as its off cooldown. And it should be lining it up with Agi pots anyway.