Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Free week champions in ranked

I am confused as to why you can choose them in ranked...

1. I know people will suck anyways
    2. Free weeks are meant to TEACH or learn with not to play a ranked match
    3. I feel like that one person who refuses to follow the meta really shouldn't have a choice... if only to fill the meta. I don't care if he uses a dumb support like trundle or veigar (both of which I've seen btw) or a good support like sona or alistar. As long as they fill there role...

Why do we have free week champions in ranked. Why can't people conform to the meta or at least do a GOOD kill lane comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Meffril View Post

3. I feel like that one person who refuses to follow the meta really shouldn't have a choice... if only to fill the meta. I don't care if he uses a dumb support like trundle or veigar (both of which I've seen btw) or a good support like sona or alistar. As long as they fill there role...

Why do we have free week champions in ranked. Why can't people conform to the meta or at least do a GOOD kill lane comp.
    A) Blindly comforming to the meta makes you a bad player.
    B) Bad players do not get better even if they choose a "good kill lane comp".
    C) If they ban free champions in ranked, then people will complain that all those experienced ranked players flood normal games and ruin the experience of those who just want to learn.

And most importantly:
    D) If someone plays a free week champion badly, then it's very likely that he would not have performed any better on any other champion.

PS: This whole thing is like saying they should ban lighters because you hate it when people smoke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voij View Post
    C) If they ban free champions in ranked, then people will complain that all those experienced ranked players flood normal games and ruin the experience of those who just want to learn.

And most importantly:
    D) If someone plays a free week champion badly, then it's very likely that he would not have performed any better on any other champion.

PS: This whole thing is like saying they should ban lighters because you hate it when people smoke.
    How is that even remotely close? And no, comforming to the meta doesn't make you bad, at all. And why would they exactly complain that someone better than themselves is playing the game? This happens anyway since no toprated player will test out a new champion they haven't played before in ranked. And you cant just compare playing a new champion, one you've never tried before with playing a champion you're comfortable playing with, it's just effing retarded comparison. YES, there's the painfully obvious shit but that still doesn't change the fact that you're not used to said champion's mana regen/energy regen, passive, ultimate, or whatever.

I'd be happy if they'd ban free week champs during ranked, it's a fucking joke they haven't done it already imho. Same goes for that ridiculous "dodge and lose 10 Elo"-rule, god it's just stupidity itself.

Players can play free week champions in all unranked games. The reason why they are free is so players can figure out what champions they enjoy playing in order to purchase them. It is silly free week are allowed in ranked games, but then again they would have to find a work around because you need a certain amount of champions to even queue into ranked in which free week champions make getting to that number alot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMog64 View Post
    Players can play free week champions in all unranked games. The reason why they are free is so players can figure out what champions they enjoy playing in order to purchase them. It is silly free week are allowed in ranked games, but then again they would have to find a work around because you need a certain amount of champions to even queue into ranked in which free week champions make getting to that number alot easier.
    No there should be no work around... and free week champs shouldn't be counted towards it as it is I think. Just remove them from ranked and life will be happier.

10+ Year Old Account
    So someone buys a new champ and brings it straight to Ranked. Same excreta, different anus.

In general though, I think this is a pretty decent solution. Would make life a fair bit easier on people, even if it might lead to awkward lanes if some people only have a few champs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone who plays free week champs is bad. If they are, chances are they would be bad no matter what champ they play. Example: This week I learned I can play Kassadin really well. I don't have the IP to buy him right now cause I'm saving up for Skarner and Twitch, but by your logic I wouldn't be able to play him.

Also, how would that work if someone already owned the champ? You can't just ban those champs from all the games. There would need to be a work-around for those who actually own the champs.

Too much work, and it would probably piss off more people than it pleases.

Free week champions shouldnt exist at all. Custom and Co op vs AI modes should have all champions available for everyone, and normal/ranked should only have those you've purchased. The point of free week champions is that they allow you to test a champion before you purchase him, and you can test him just as well in co op vs AI or versus your friend in custom, dont need to screw others up in pvp modes.

Feel free to PM me about any question you might have regarding LoL.
    Holy paladin

Only thing I hate about free week is that I own every champion, and when I play a champion that happens to be free that week, a bunch of derptards accuse me of being terrible before the game even starts (just like that ^^)
    Last edited by cherb; 2012-02-23 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackroo View Post
    How is that even remotely close? And no, comforming to the meta doesn't make you bad, at all. And why would they exactly complain that someone better than themselves is playing the game? This happens anyway since no toprated player will test out a new champion they haven't played before in ranked. And you cant just compare playing a new champion, one you've never tried before with playing a champion you're comfortable playing with, it's just effing retarded comparison. YES, there's the painfully obvious shit but that still doesn't change the fact that you're not used to said champion's mana regen/energy regen, passive, ultimate, or whatever.

I'd be happy if they'd ban free week champs during ranked, it's a fucking joke they haven't done it already imho. Same goes for that ridiculous "dodge and lose 10 Elo"-rule, god it's just stupidity itself.
    Cant agree more with the last. Tho, the meta is not what you HAVE to use, its something thats good and most of the highend pps use cus its good and efficient etc... try out a new meta with 4 other friends in norms /ranked, see how it works out. Like the former AOE meta, kennen, fiddle, galio etc (hurr durr). or the US meta, anything ! try something new..the meta doesn't win you the game, your TEAM does. and the dodge -10 elo rule, IS FUCKING HORRIBLE. I mean, if your up with trolls and randompicks, you should dodge, and now you loose 10 elo? ranked is so bad, so are the players at 1k-2k. I went down from 1.4k til 1.1k cus of shitty players and trolls. thnx.

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 09:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thoukaia View Post
    Free week champions shouldnt exist at all. Custom and Co op vs AI modes should have all champions available for everyone, and normal/ranked should only have those you've purchased. The point of free week champions is that they allow you to test a champion before you purchase him, and you can test him just as well in co op vs AI or versus your friend in custom, dont need to screw others up in pvp modes.
    WORD !!!! Tell that to derpariotderp.

Deleted
    1. ...yes, I'd love for free champions to be banned in ranked games. THIS MEANS I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO PLAY MY FAVOURITE CHAMPIONS BECAUSE THEY'RE FREE FOR A WEEK.
    in the eventuality that you meant champions which you do not own, then that's a so-so idea.

2. this is a game. if people want to play the game with a veigar/sion bottom lane it's their choice. don't like it? play with friends. there's a lot of features in the game that makes it easy to play only with people you know from before.

3. the reason we have these free weeks is so people get impatient and spend their IP/RP on what they want. no IP to buy X? buy RP. no RP to buy Y? buy more RP!
    you can't forget that Riot is a company out to make money after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are being silly. Free champs unavailable in ranked when you bought them is non-sense. They just won't be available in Ranked games -for free-, but if you unlocked them, there's no problem. The game already differentiates between free and bought champions, there's no reason it wouldn't keep doing so if this change were to go into effect.

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzleMyGrizzle View Post
    Cant agree more with the last. Tho, the meta is not what you HAVE to use, its something thats good and most of the highend pps use cus its good and efficient etc... try out a new meta with 4 other friends in norms /ranked, see how it works out. Like the former AOE meta, kennen, fiddle, galio etc (hurr durr). or the US meta, anything ! try something new..the meta doesn't win you the game, your TEAM does. and the dodge -10 elo rule, IS FUCKING HORRIBLE. I mean, if your up with trolls and randompicks, you should dodge, and now you loose 10 elo? ranked is so bad, so are the players at 1k-2k. I went down from 1.4k til 1.1k cus of shitty players and trolls. thnx.
    Take some accountability, if you dropped 300 elo you are partially at fault somewhere along that process. EVERYONE has to deal with trolls, derps, random picks, etc. The better players will get through it, and the derpy ones will blame others for being stuck in a fictional elo hell.

Deleted
    It's funny even if you own the champion and play it when it's free you'll be cursed upon. How do you really tell the difference between a free player and a good player who is being outplayed (ganked alot, bad matchup etc)?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thoukaia View Post
    So everyone in normal would have 450 champs only. BRILLIANT SOLUTION SIRE!
    EDIT: by the way, it just has to be there, otherwise time or money investment would ruin the game for big amount of players. As you can see, there are 6 champs banned each rated game, as well as only one instance of that champion allowed. There are good chances your owned champions would all be used up or banned (considering some guy who got like 4 of them when starting), meaning you either have to farm more or just buy bundles.
    Not that buying stuff is huge problem, but for the F2P game it's kinda problem when F2P play stops being viable.
    Last edited by mmoc064457dc87; 2012-02-23 at 12:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea where you got that from his post. You may wish to re-read it.

what a troll post I have just read ¬_¬

The reason you get a minus elo penalty is to prevent queue dodging and I am 100% behind that rule. As for free week champions if you just hit level 30 and wish to do ranked, you will not be able to do it with champions you own unless you bought the champion pack. just elitism from the OP in my eyes.

ELO penalty for dodging games: justified. People should be deterred from dodging queues a lot, even though the champion selection and its features or lack thereof are shitty. The thing is, AoS-Style games still have to provide a decent system for leavers and trollers. Personally, I do not know how and spent some time thinking about it, but alas, it is not my job to.

And most importantly:

I am having a field day with this post.
    To A: Metagame in itself is popular, because it provides players with the results of an in-depth analysis of LoL from professional players. There results are easier to apply and execute than come up with your own. So understanding meta can be helpful, but you aren't necessarily a bad player, if you do not understand them. You are probably just dumb.

To B: They do not. They do also not get better by having them and their team curbstomped, because they utterly fail with champions they have never played, where it counts, which is ranked game. Although there are incentives to play against more seasoned opponents to progress higher, you should at least get the basics straight first being the overall use of your spells, their hitboxes, their behavior and so on. You do not go with a new / free champion straight into ranked. It's simply bad mannered and an unreasonable demand for your team to put up with.

To C: That will be not the case, because the matchmaking will prevent it thanks to the existence of something called Hidden ELO. Since the more experienced ranked players will end up having a higher hidden ELO, they will mostly play amongst themselves in normals allowing less good ones to strive anyway. On the other hand, free champions are exactly the opportunity for those less good in LoL to build up a champion arsenal and their experience with parts of them. So basically it's a win / win for banning free week champs from ranked: Bad ones get to continue trying out other champions during free week in normals mostly undisrupted, while the good ones are likely to have a successful team composition in ranked.

To D: Again wrong. I am a horrible support and AP carry, but I excel on solo top and as AD carry. If I play free week Ahri and get my ass handed back to me, I will certainly perform better on my usual lanes. Again, champion theorycraft is worthless, if you know neither the handling of your champion nor your lane. A lot of people on these forums seemingly put greater emphasis on playing champions across a multitude of roles rather than focusing on fewer roles, which results in greater in-depth knowledge about lane situations.

And your PS: You make it sound like free week is a tool for everyone to enjoy playing a game to its fullest. The free week is designed for that, yes. But ranked game isn't. Draft mode is designed for you to know your way around a number of champions, where you are still viable, even when several of yours got banned and counterpicked. That is the essence of ranked. But those using the free week on a serious basis do not have a viable amount of champions for one role. One unfortunate pick and you end up playing 4v5. Hence, they are not viable for ranked as well.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

No. Its ment to test, before you spend your hard earned IP on a champion you've never played. Also, to give new players more than 1 champion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flextt View Post
    To D: Again wrong. I am a horrible support and AP carry, but I excel on solo top and as AD carry. If I play free week Ahri and get my ass handed back to me, I will certainly perform better on my usual lanes. Again, champion theorycraft is worthless, if you know neither the handling of your champion nor your lane. A lot of people on these forums seemingly put greater emphasis on playing champions across a multitude of roles rather than focusing on fewer roles, which results in greater in-depth knowledge about lane situations.
    Here's the thing, you aren't bad player. You know your a horrible support and AP carry, so unless you have a derp team that forces you to play one you won't purposefully play those roles in ranked. A bad player will get destroyed on both free week champs and those they bought.