10+ Year Old Account

Quickest way of gaining back strength?

I know this seems like a dumb question. It does to me atleast since i've been an avid gym rat for about 8 yrs now. But over the past holiday season I've been under so much stress with RL stuff, not to mention all the food that's brought right before you because of the festivities and if you put 2 and 2 together that's a really bad combination lol. That being said I haven't been to the gym in around 2 months (whole month of Dec and Jan.)

Recently i've been hitting the gym again for around 2 weeks now, but the amount of strength I lost in those 2 months surprised me! I mean, I know i'd lose strength.... alot of it. But the amount as to how much I lost is shocking, before I stopped a few months ago I was benching 275 4-7x in (atleast 3 on a bad day.) But now I'm struggling with doing a whole set of 185 Ever since I started 2 weeks ago, I notice my strength is going up bit by bit. I'm switching up my routines by switching the workout days (ie - Chest this monday, next monday is back/bi's.) Going heavy one week and light next week etc etc... Also doing cardio here and there. And i'm also Watching my diet now with doing heavy carbs right before the gym (red potatoes with turkey prior to workout.) and heavy protein with some fruits and vegetables for the rest of the day. I feel like i'm doing the right thing. But any input or additional advice would be nice. ESPECIALLY when it comes to new workout routines. Thanks in advance!

Weighted wide grip pullups, deadlifts and barbell rows (I prefer Pendlay rows). For strength and thickness purposes, free weights over machines.

Dumbbell rows are great as well but you really have to focus on the form. So many people do these incorrectly and end up working all of the wrong muscles. I throw in a few sets of close grip cable rows or close grip pull ups every couple weeks.
    Last edited by Projali; 2012-02-22 at 11:59 PM.

Deleted
    Woah, thats a big strength drop! By tbh, my chest strength declines rapidly when I don't train whereas my other body parts remain roughly the same.

Anyway... consistency. Just get back into the old habit of weightlifting like a freak, sleeping like a bear and eating like... erm, a bear. Get your compound lifts in there (bench, squat and deadlifts), and as Projali said, dumbs and bars will do you nicely. Muscle memory will see your strength return faster than you'd expect.

Also, have a look into breathing squats. http://hardgainers-weight-tips.com/T...t_Exercise.htm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepuku View Post
    Woah, thats a big strength drop! By tbh, my chest strength declines rapidly when I don't train whereas my other body parts remain roughly the same.

Anyway... consistency. Just get back into the old habit of weightlifting like a freak, sleeping like a bear and eating like... erm, a bear. Get your compound lifts in there (bench, squat and deadlifts), and as Projali said, dumbs and bars will do you nicely. Muscle memory will see your strength return faster than you'd expect.

Also, have a look into breathing squats. http://hardgainers-weight-tips.com/T...t_Exercise.htm
    hah! Yea tell me about it.... Just did chest a couple days ago though and I just hit the 225 mark (thank god), last time it took me forever to even put consider putting 225 on the bench. But I can already feel my body adjusting to the way it was again. And i'm doing exactly what you said about food and sleeping, especially when it comes to eating. I'm a machine right now, especially when it comes to my protein and carb intake.