Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

An MMO finally made for explorers.

I actually said "Oh wow..." out loud. Also, if you notice when he pulls up the map and zooms out, they seemed to have created zones from 1-80 for every race...

This game man...

Rather than attempt to explain just how challenging but utterly cool these areas can be, I’ve put together a short teaser video of one such area found in the Ascalon Basin area of the charr starting zones. To avoid too many major spoilers, the following video only shows the first part of the area up to the point where you start running into various traps.

The traps in this particular puzzle ranged from the spike traps you can see represented by red circles on the ground closer to the end of the video, to a corridor filled with flame traps that you have to dodge roll through, and a seemingly straight forward run up some stairs that can end in a quick dirt nap if you don’t dodge falling boulders fast enough.

Here’s a tip for anyone who seeks out this particular challenge: bring some friends along. That way, if you get zapped by the traps you’ll have an easier time keeping one another alive as you ascend this particular jumping puzzle.
    Last edited by omlech; 2012-02-22 at 11:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh dear god necromancers can summon head crabs from half life! I like how the beams and shit you have to climb, makes me feel like EZIO AUDITORE!

This game is made for any type of player :P

10+ Year Old Account
    There is platforming in my MMO!?!?!?

This is the greatest thing ever!
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

That's awesome. They said in the last development blog that they've hidden 'treasures' across the map, and I bet exploring like this is exactly what they had in mind. What haven't Anet thought of?

Deleted
    Amazing! Love it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GrodinLB View Post
    That's awesome. They said in the last development blog that they've hidden 'treasures' across the map, and I bet exploring like this is exactly what they had in mind. What haven't Anet thought of?
    I hadn't heard this. But if that's factual, it reminds me a lot of the collect-a-thon platformers from the N64 era of video games. I can see myself spending hours trying to find and collect everything.

This game is going to consume me.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    Mhm.
    I'm really really looking forward to this MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    she both runs and swims very fast, maby she should try for the olympics?

Deleted
    Oh the hours I will spend on just exploring behind every rock and tree to find secret passages <3

Deleted
    Wow, that's amazing. Definitely a little Zelda/AC feel to it imo..

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I hadn't heard this. But if that's factual, it reminds me a lot of the collect-a-thon platformers from the N64 era of video games. I can see myself spending hours trying to find and collect everything.

Consume you, for approximately zero dollars a month in subscription fees. Can it really be true that they created an MMO this incredible with this many fun and amazing features that will not require us to pay a monthly fee just to explore the world? I think so.

Deleted
    Almost looks like Uncharted :P

That's pretty cool, iv noticed on a few video's from the weekend that there are plenty of places to explore, is there any downside to this MMO? everything just seems so awesome atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post

"Hidden Treasures

Another recent development for Guild Wars 2 has been the implementation of hidden areas with interesting challenges. Our amazing environment artists have carved out a variety of caves, cliffs, and structures in the world. We’ve been stretching our imaginations to fill these spaces with content that should provide an exciting change of pace. Some areas will test your platforming abilities, requiring you to make a series of difficult jumps before you find your treasure at the end, while others contain dangerous foes that will stop at nothing to see you dead.

We hope that these experiences bring a new level of challenge for the best Guild Wars 2 players and provide everyone with a chance to test their mettle against a different type of content. Whether you are fighting off bandits or using the broken remnants of the Great Northern Wall to climb to a hidden chest, we think you’ll find these areas to be both fun and formidable. Just remember that not every leap is what it seems, and occasionally, you have to have a little faith."

http://www.arena.net/blog/beta-development-update

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GrodinLB View Post
    "Hidden Treasures

Another recent development for Guild Wars 2 has been the implementation of hidden areas with interesting challenges. Our amazing environment artists have carved out a variety of caves, cliffs, and structures in the world. We’ve been stretching our imaginations to fill these spaces with content that should provide an exciting change of pace. Some areas will test your platforming abilities, requiring you to make a series of difficult jumps before you find your treasure at the end, while others contain dangerous foes that will stop at nothing to see you dead.

We hope that these experiences bring a new level of challenge for the best Guild Wars 2 players and provide everyone with a chance to test their mettle against a different type of content. Whether you are fighting off bandits or using the broken remnants of the Great Northern Wall to climb to a hidden chest, we think you’ll find these areas to be both fun and formidable. Just remember that not every leap is what it seems, and occasionally, you have to have a little faith."

http://www.arena.net/blog/beta-development-update
    Consume me... geez, playing up my childhood game experiences.

I haven't even played this yet and I'm already addicted... lol

Oh, and if you do do the collect-a-thon type playstyle it will always be at least moderately challenging due to the sidekicking feature. Fresh content 100% of the time, whenever you want to play a certain style, you can play.

Want to PvP? Do it. Want to explore? Do it. Want to dungeon crawl? Do it (explorable modes, will they include those platformer type easter eggs?!). Want to do large scale dynamic events. Do it.

The social nature of the game gives players any type of content whenever they want it. It's a brilliant design, and pretty much everyone who gets their hands on the game is hinting that the developers have lived up to their lofty goals. I have never wanted to play a game as much as I have this one.

Deleted
    Thats amazing

Deleted
    This is pretty amazing indeed, but if that's like treasures or something and not "just" a hidden place with some hidden event, then this will become a grind like datacrons at swtor, which i hope this won't turn into. But i guess arenanet thought of that
    I like the size of GW2, srsly

nevermind, putting it in the OP.