Page 1 of 65
... LastLast

2012 MLB Winter Meetings and Offseason

Modifying this thread to be the official 2012 MLB thread. Since it's pretty active I think this is a good bet. Feel free to continue to make your predictions as the OP intended.

I'll just assume that they wont have the extra wild card worked into it by the time the season starts, even though MLB is hoping they will.

Here's how I see it going down.

AL

AL East
    1. Tampa Bay Rays. They're loaded with pitching. Carlos Pena is back. I think it really hinges on how well Desmond Jennings plays at the top of the order.
    2. NY Yankees. They're an aging team that is more or less the same team as last season, which was a really good team last season. Staying healthy is always their #1 priority.
    3. Boston Red Sox. They're definitely talented but in a minor suedo rebuilding process. I think they'll be in the playoff hunt for sure, but I don't see them ahead of the Yankees or Rays in the standings.
    4. Toronto Blue Jays. They have some firepower on offense, but I really dont think that pitching will hold up in the AL East.
    5. Baltimore Orioles. Will be lucky to break 65 wins.

AL Central
    1. Detroit Tigers. Loaded up with Prince Fielder. Possibly the slowest team in MLB history. Aside from Verlander all their pitchers like to use the defense, which will be shaky at best. They're pretty much World Series or bust from here on out.
    2. Minnesota Twins. I don't think there's any way they can be as bad as they were last season. If both Mauer and Morneau can stay relatively healthy, and their young position players (Valencia, Revere) can be productive I could easily see them making a run for the central.
    3. Cleveland Indians. They're decent everywhere, great nowhere. My guess is around .500 or a little better. They gave up a ton for Ubaldo Jimenez, if he repeats last season Indians fans will not be happy.
    4. Chicago White Sox. To me they're the same deal as the Indians. Adam Dunn was catastrophically bad last year, if he can come up with at least similar to career average numbers their offense would improve greatly.
    5. Kansas City Royals. They're the MLB Triple-A team. A bunch of prospects showcasing themselves to sign big money deals somewhere else. Sad too because I was a huge Royals fan when I was little.

AL West
    1. Texas Rangers. I know that one other team got that Pujols guy, but Derek Holland said it best. "We're not going to suck". They're pretty much the same team as last year, trading CJ Wilson for Yu Darvish. I'd call that an upgrade. Joe Nathan is also in the bullpen now, which was already a monster bullpen.
    2. Anaheim Angels. They're going to be good, no doubt. But I honestly think they'll still miss the playoffs. They're shallow at the end of the rotation/bullpen. They have three first basemen who can play, but none of them can really DH much because Bob Abreu is a statue in the OF. I'd really like to see Hank Conger make some strides as a catcher.
    3. Seattle Mariners. Ichiro batting 3rd this year pretty much says it all. For them to even be competitive Smoak, Ackley, and Montero would all have to put up huge numbers.
    4. Oakland A's. In rebuilding mode (again). They probably wont even attempt to compete until they get a new stadium. Manny Ramirez will possibly be cause for some amusement.

I think Yankees will end up with the wild card. Yankees vs Tigers and Rays vs Rangers in first round. Strange because that's exactly the same matchups as last season haha. In ALCS I see the Tigers vs Rays, with the Rays coming out on top. I really think the Rays pitching is going to power them through the season, it's pretty scary how good they are.

NL

NL East
    1. Philadelphia Phillies. They're so loaded with pitching it would be hard to pick anyone else. Like last year their ability to score runs will make or break their season. The middle of their lineup needs to stay healthy and productive.
    2. Miami Marlins. It's really a toss up for me between the Marlins & Braves for #2 in the east. But I gave the nod to the Marlins. Their big offseason acquisitions in my opinion will put them over the Braves. But with Hanley Ramirez and Ozzie Guillen on the same team who knows what kind of implosions are right around the corner.
    3. Atlanta Braves. More or less the exact same team that missed out on the playoffs in dramatic fashion last year. I see them contending this year, but coming up a little bit short down the stretch.
    4. Washington Nationals. Probably the team I could be the most wrong about. They have HUGE upside. I wouldnt be surprised if they finished first...or last. Bryce Harper is an absolute monster (and a dbag). If Werth can bounce back and their pitching stays healthy, watch out for the Nats.
    5. New York Mets. Are a mess. Nobody wants to play there because of the ownership fiasco. And even if people did want to play there, they couldn't afford them anyways because of the money Wilpons have mismanaged. Will probably contend for the worst record in baseball.

NL Central
    1. St Louis Cardinals. Even without Pujols I think they'll end up winning a pretty weak central. Wainwright coming back is huge, and Beltran can be great.
    2. Cincinatti Reds. Could possibly contend for the central, if they stay healthy and consistent. They're probably the most talented team in the division but Dusty Baker has a hard time getting the most out of his players. Chapman moving into a starters role is going to be great entertainment.
    3. Milwaukee Brewers. Braun sitting out 50 games is killer. They replaced Prince Fielder with Aramis Ramirez. They're going to struggle to score runs and with their soft in pitching after the top of the rotation that's not a good combo.
    4. Chicago Cubs. In total payroll dump mode while Epstein grooms the team to his liking.
    5. Pittsburgh Pirates. Were a nice story last year, probably wont happen again this year.
    6. Houston Astros. Will probably have the worst record in MLB, maybe of all time. Me and my friends played a game where we tried to name as many players as we could from every team. The minimum we had on any team prior to the Astros was 17. For the Astros we got...7.

NL West
    1. San Francisco Giants. I think they'll rebound this year and win the division. Having Buster Posey back is huge. Angel Pagan & Melky Cabrera were both sneaky good last year. Brandon Belt is an up and coming 1B. Sergio Romo's beard might overtake Brian Wilson's at some point.
    2. Arizona Diamondbacks. They were already a good team, and they made some nice acquisitions. Kubel is a nice left handed bat. Cahill is an all-star and they'll have Aaron Hill for the entire season. They easily could win the west again. I dont condone gambling, but Vegas has them at 25-1 odds to win the World Series, and if I was a gambler, I'd be willing to put money on that one.
    3. Los Angeles Dodgers - They played extremely well at the end of last season. With the ownership fiasco mostly behind them they can all concentrate on baseball now. However I dont think they have the talent to pass either SF or Arizona.
    4. Colorado Rockies. If their really young pitching can produce, they could be much better. They're going to be able to score some runs but I dont think their pitching will be able to hold up.
    5. San Diego Padres. Pretty much same as last year. Great pitching, not enough scoring. Yader Alonso & Carlos Quentin will help, but not nearly enough to contend.

In the NLDS, I see San Francisco vs St Louis and Philadelphia vs Arizona. In the NLCS I think Philadelphia will beat San Francisco.

So my WS would be a rematch of a few years ago with Tampa Bay vs Philadelphia. However this time I think Tampa Bay can pull it off.

How do the rest of you think this year will play out? Like all predictions, I'm sure mine will end up being terrible.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-04-06 at 02:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty solid guesses all around, I'd say. I am a Yankee fan, and while I think the addition of Pineda and Kuroda will really improve the team, the season hinges on A-Rod. If he is healthy and productive, they will win 100-105 games. If he continues his downward slide, they may struggle for the wild card if Nova or Pineda struggle.

I would not be shocked to see a big drop by the D-Backs; overachieving teams sometimes take a big fall a season after, so it will be interesting to see if Gibson can maintain that spark that pushed them last year.

The Marlins could keep the heat on the Phils if Howard is slow to come back; their lineup has degraded the last few years, and the Marlins should be a lot of fun.

My prediction? Angels/Yankees in the AL, Giants/Phils (if Howard produces) in the NL.

I am a huge Tigers fan, growing up in Detroit for the first 24 years of my life. However, I've moved to St Petersburg, FL where the Rays play and am a big fan of them too. I wouldn't mind seeing either team going all the way, but I have a feeling Verlander will have another great year backed up by Scherzer and Fister, and the runs Detroit produces will overshadow the lack of infield defense. I see the Tigers going to the WS and beating the Phillies.

The Phillies made huge off season moves to improve what was a glaring problem with them in the post season the last 2 seasons. And when I say huge, most people would laugh because the moves I'm talking about beefed up what was a terrible bench.

They now posses what may be the strongest bench in baseball, it's just up to Charlie to use this properly and I don't see them going into an October funk at the plate again.

Book the Phillies for the World Series.

And to the Tigers Phillies match ups in the WS, I just don't see how the Tigers can win. Granted I'll give the edge to Verlander over Halladay just about any day of the week at this point in their careers but it's still such a close match up the Tigers can be down 0-1 with Hamels and Lee coming at them.

I'm so happy for spring training to be underway. I'm so sick of hearing about football EVERY FRIKEN day even though nothing is happening on that front.

Quick question before my rankings, isn't this the year we have 2 wild card teams and they have a one game playoff?

AL
    East
    Yanks-Its the Yankees, pitching is improved and offense is still there. Easy Favorite
    Soxs-If not for an epic collapse they may have another WS, I don't expect another collapse and I do expect them to make the playoffs.
    Rays-They have amazing pitching but no offense
    Jays- An improved team and put them anywhere besides the AL East they would have a serious chance at making the playoffs.
    Orioles- Sad, no chance

Central
    Tigers-Amazing offense, Amazing pitching, Terrible defense, they will win near 100 games.
    White Soxs-Really underachieved last year, Dunn will get comeback player
    Indians- Like you said they are balanced and balanced wins games, but not enough
    Twins-Morneau and Mauer are to often injured to count on them for a full season.
    Royals-Very Young and if they can keep all the pieces together they may be very good in the future.

West
    Angels-Second best rotation in the majors and one of the best offenses in the majors, right now they have too many bats which is a good problem to have.
    Rangers-A misplayed ball cost them the WS they are just as good if not batter than last year, I expect them to make another run to the WS
    Mariners- Outside of one player who more than likely will be traded before the end of the year they are really bad
    A's-Good Ol Billy Beane, in rebuild mode forever until they get a new stadium.

NL
    East
    Phillies-Best team in the NL, getting old but that pitching staff is second to none.
    Braves-A young team getting better and like the soxs an epic collapse kept them out of the playoffs last year.
    Marlins-Well they spent alot of money and built a new stadium, still won't be enough and the stadium will be just as empty as always.
    Nationals-Strausberg is back and harper is on the horizon. They don't have enough good players to win a strong division.
    Mets-Rebuild mode, no chance

Central
    Cardinals-WS champs, Lost the best player in baseball and replaced him with yet another often injured one. This team could have half its starting lineup on the DL before July. If they can stay healthy though they will be the second best team in the NL.
    Reds-Good young team that if they preform to expectations could be that 90 win team from 2010.
    Brewers-Still a good team but the loss of Braun they maybe too far out of it by the time he returns. If they can hover around the .500 mark until his return they could make a run at the division.
    Pirates- I keep waiting for this team to be good but I don't think it ill ever happen. I hope they have a .500 season this year.
    Cubs- Rebuild mode, always next year right losers :P
    Astros- Worst team in the Majors

West
    Diamondbacks-Underachievers, they have good pitching and good offense. Should be enough to win the weakest division in baseball.
    Giants-Good pitching but nothing else. Posey could be awesome but ask the twins whats it like depending on a catcher to be your offensive punch.
    Rockies-Another underachiever, they have a good young team that can't seem to put it all together.
    Dodgers-Until they are bought don't expect anything from them.
    Padres-Traded their best pitcher and closer so now fully in rebuild mode.

As a Cardinals fan I would love to see and Angels vs. Cardinals WS, the drama would be awesome
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

Yankees/Red Sox(wc)/Tigers/Rangers from the AL
    Phillies/Nationals(wc)/Reds/Giants from the NL

Ya.. I picked the Nationals to win the wild card... they have a really good chance of being a great story this year, so here's hoping.

I had read that Bud Selig wants this to be the first year the extend the number of wildcard teams but since the schedule is already out they are having trouble fitting in the extra games. Most likely it will next year where they make the schedule from scratch.

OP...nice choices.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Yankees/Red Sox(wc)/Tigers/Rangers from the AL
    Phillies/Nationals(wc)/Reds/Giants from the NL

Ya.. I picked the Nationals to win the wild card... they have a really good chance of being a great story this year, so here's hoping.
    I get the MLB ticket every year on DirecTV, I have a feeling I'll be watching alot of Nationals games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrjhova View Post
    Book the Phillies for the World Series.
    Yeah their bench is better, but their success still rides on the middle of their lineup staying healthy. The only two position players on the team to play in 150+ games last year are both going into spring training nursing injuries (Howard & Pence). Mayberry has the job to lose in LF and really could swing either way. I wish Dominic Brown would be consistent. So yeah they're good but booking them for the WS is a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    Pretty solid guesses all around, I'd say. I am a Yankee fan, and while I think the addition of Pineda and Kuroda will really improve the team, the season hinges on A-Rod. If he is healthy and productive, they will win 100-105 games. If he continues his downward slide, they may struggle for the wild card if Nova or Pineda struggle.
    Kuroda & Pineda are going to be interesting. Kuroda has never played in the AL. I went back through all his game logs though and he fared decently well during interleague play though. Being a 23 year old athlete in NYC will probably be Pineda's biggest hurdle. He struggled down the stretch last year though. 6.75 4.70 and 4.00 ERA for his last 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Draviene View Post
    I am a huge Tigers fan, growing up in Detroit for the first 24 years of my life. However, I've moved to St Petersburg, FL where the Rays play and am a big fan of them too. I wouldn't mind seeing either team going all the way, but I have a feeling Verlander will have another great year backed up by Scherzer and Fister, and the runs Detroit produces will overshadow the lack of infield defense. I see the Tigers going to the WS and beating the Phillies.
    I dunno if those bats will be able to overcome that defense. The combined weight of their infield is pushing 1000 lbs, not joking. Austin Jackson has one of the worst OBP of any leadoff men in the league. Boesch never really was the same after he hurt his thumb last year, who knows how he'll bounce back. Not to mention V-Mart who is out for the year and was huge production as well as a clubhouse leader.

They also have next to zero for team speed. Exactly 1 person on their opening day roster had more than 5 SB last season. They were already dead last in SB last year, and they actually got slower. It's going to look like a slow pitch softball team out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    I had read that Bud Selig wants this to be the first year the extend the number of wildcard teams but since the schedule is already out they are having trouble fitting in the extra games. Most likely it will next year where they make the schedule from scratch.

OP...nice choices.
    They only need 1 at most 2 days...I'm going to go look it up

Edit: So they are hoping to add it this but no later than 2013. I think its a good thing for the sport. One game playoffs are one of the main reason football is where it is today.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/75...mat-start-year
    Last edited by theturn; 2012-02-23 at 08:36 PM.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

If they add another wild card to each league (I assume they'll wait for 2013 when Houston moves, though), my picks will be Angels/Braves (3 teams from one division will be tough, but it's going to happen one day.. might as well be this year?).

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator2009 View Post
    Carlos Zambrano and Ozzie Guillen on the same team, who knows what will happen.
    Fixed that for you.

i like the Yankees this year, no doubt we're a year older, but that only really applies to a few guys in the lineup (Arod, Jeter, Chavez, Jones, Ibanez) the rest of the lineup is plenty young enough and lets not beat around the bush, we all know neither Arod nor Jeter can play this game dont we! Thing is our pitching this year is stronger than last, should have a potent 1-2-3 punch in Sabathia, Nova & Kuroda and well, if Hughes bounces back this year & Garcia continues to chip in with 180+ innings & 10+ wins it has a chance to be awesome. Plus the one thing that the Yankees have right now is a bullpen - Mo is a game changer but he's also got David Robertson in there who was immense last year & that's before we bring Rafael Soriano into account, there's a real danger there that if you're behind to the Yankees after 6 and it's close, Girardi basically has three closers in the bullpen who can get the job DONE.

We'll see how the rest plays out, but i believe that the Red Sox are weaker now than they were at the start of last season - Lackey's out for the year, Jenks is injured, no Papelbon & Bobby Valentine... Could be proven wrong about that, but lets be fair, last year it was all "Red Sox have the squad to win the WS" and we all know how that wound up don't we.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    AL East

1.TB
    2.NY
    3.Tor
    4.Bos
    5.Bal

AL Central

1.Det
    2.Min
    3.Cle
    4.Chi
    5.KC

AL West

1.Ana
    2.Texas
    3.Oak
    4.Sea
    5.Hou

National League

1.Phi
    2.Atl
    3.Fla
    4.Wash
    5.NYM

Central

1.Stl
    2.Mil
    3.Reds
    4.ChC
    5.Pitts

West

1. Ari
    2. SF
    3. LA
    4.Col
    5.SD

Houston is in the AL West now.
    Last edited by Masqerader; 2012-02-23 at 11:16 PM.

Looks like that Braun just won his appeal and won't be suspended 50 games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator2009 View Post
    AL West
    They're pretty much the same team as last year, trading CJ Wilson for Yu Darvish. I'd call that an upgrade.
    I don't think that's an upgrade. Yu Darvish never pitched in the Majors yet, he might be hot for the first few games he plays, but after that teams might catch on to him. That's what I think will happen.

Anyways, I think the Yankees will win the AL East because I am biased .
    AL Central: Tigers
    AL West: Angels
    Wild Card: Rays

NL East: Phillies/Marlins
    NL Central: Reds
    NL West: Uhh..... Giants I think
    Wild Card: Phillies/Marlins, maybe even the Braves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mets 2012!

*cries*

Will probably contend for the worst record in baseball.
    Disagree. I see them as 4th in the NL east. We weren't THAT bad last year, only 7 games under .500 with all the injuries we had (Santana, Davis were out for the year). They're not THAT bad of a team, but the tough division will screw them over.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

i think the fact that they lost arguably their best player will sting the Mets a bit more than being in a tough division & it's dependant on getting a full healthy season out of David Wright too - i don't think they'll contend for the worst record in the majors, but i don't see them contending the wildcard either.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

I see the Mets as being very fortunate if they don't finish 5th in the East. While they have gotten worse, every other team in their division has gotten better or was already head and shoulders above them.

red sox vs phillies you heard it here first folks

10+ Year Old Account
    AL
    E: NYY
    C: DET
    W: LAA
    WC: TEX

NL
    E: PHI
    C: STL
    W: ARI
    WC: FLA