Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I think the first couple weeks of a contract that involves changing leagues is too early to start thinking about such things, but as a Dodgers fan living in the Anaheim area I will enjoy every misstep the Angels make

well switching leagues does not *REALLY* effect a hitter that much though, does it? The field is the same size and its the same distance to the plate :P just possibly new pitchers, and they have so much tape on them, and he has probably faced every one of them at least once!

I think he is past his prime , he will still be a good player, but not 200 mil+ good!

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    well switching leagues does not *REALLY* effect a hitter that much though, does it? The field is the same size and its the same distance to the plate :P just possibly new pitchers, and they have so much tape on them, and he has probably faced every one of them at least once!

I think he is past his prime , he will still be a good player, but not 200 mil+ good!
    Some fields are Pitcher fields and some are hitter fields I know the A's field is a pitchers field because the foul lines and Coor's field (Rockies) is a hitters field because of the altitude.

10+ Year Old Account
    paying a player like Pujols is about the potential revenue he can generate and the ability to attract future free agents if they still have money to buy, and the Angels have been repeatedly trying to cut into the LA market share and saw the Dodgers sale situation as a chance to make a big splash and have the best player in baseball be in southern california, which he is, but his name is Matt Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Some fields are Pitcher fields and some are hitter fields I know the A's field is a pitchers field because the foul lines and Coor's field (Rockies) is a hitters field because of the altitude.

Yes, but it is pretty much evenly split between Al and NL it seems, so going from one league to another in todays video age should not effect someone as much as you would think. At least in my opinion.

I understand about the revenue, but the problem is if the fans are smart they will realize "oh, crap, our team spent 200 million dollars on a fading star, and who knows if we will be able to pay any young starts we have to stay!" D:

---------- Post added 2012-04-16 at 04:38 AM ----------

Oh, and matt kemp is looking amazing again this year. Maybe he will get the mvp he deserved last year :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post

I am thoroughly entrenched in the Pujols is 35-36, why would you sign him for 10 freaking years crowd, but I think he will be okay this year as he acclimates, not worth his astronomical salary though. It is a big, big difference switching between the AL and NL though. Big difference. You go from playing pitchers that you see maybe once a month to guys you may have seen once in your career. Tape is completely worthless for a hitter outside of knowing the arsenal. You have to actually see the pitcher and how he is going to throw to you specifically before you get a real feel for the guy. The AL as a whole is just flat out better than the NL too. So many teams seem to be deeper and have better pitching staffs in the AL.

Pujols contract is far too lengthy for the age of a man he is, i don't doubt the guy will probably be playing at 40 years of age, but he won't be playing at 45 and certainly won't be playing first for the length of that deal, but thing is it wasn't a deal for Pujols it was a deal for the Angels - they'll make several times that sum of money in marketing & merchandising. Right now though the switch between leagues isn't an issue, Pujols is a good enough hitter to see pitch & hit it (often times far far away) but i think Pujols himself knew that he'd need to switch leagues while he could cos it won't be long until he turns into a full time DH.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Sox and Rays are playing a game at 11am, on a Monday, when it isn't a holiday. WTF. Since when do games start earlier than 1:05 and maybe 12:05 occasionally?

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The Sox and Rays are playing a game at 11am, on a Monday, when it isn't a holiday. WTF. Since when do games start earlier than 1:05 and maybe 12:05 occasionally?
    I found that to be odd as well. At first I thought it was a time zone thing but, no, they're definitely in the bottom of the 8th at 1:40 PM.

You go from playing pitchers that you see maybe once a month to guys you may have seen once in your career. Tape is completely worthless for a hitter outside of knowing the arsenal. You have to actually see the pitcher and how he is going to throw to you specifically before you get a real feel for the guy. The AL as a whole is just flat out better than the NL too. So many teams seem to be deeper and have better pitching staffs in the AL.
    I remember Jim Thome said essentially the same thing. After he was traded to the Dodgers mid-season, he said he wanted to come back to the AL Central because he knew the pitchers, especially the relievers, better. (I think he's with the Phillies now because of his bromance with Charlie Manuel more than anything).

It sort of is a holiday in Boston, every year they run the Boston Marathon, and when the Red Sox play at home, it's an early game to accomodate the marathon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stopbeingdumb View Post
    It sort of is a holiday in Boston, every year they run the Boston Marathon, and when the Red Sox play at home, it's an early game to accomodate the marathon.
    Well that is news to me. Good to know there was an actual reason for the early game besides bad MLB scheduling.

Well that is news to me. Good to know there was an actual reason for the early game besides bad MLB scheduling.
    It's Patriots Day.

I don't know how an early game accommodates the marathon, though. They start running at like 8 am, the earliest finishers are done by 10:30, but the majority would still be running when the game starts.

Sorry but people keep overlooking the Mets like they're a bad team. I'm sure if they stay healthy (although chances of that are slim given their history) they certainly do have the ability to at least show they're not as bad as everyone says.

Unfortunately Wright will get a hangnail, Bay will bat .150, Davis will have another freak shin accident, Murphy will tear another ligament, etc. so my comment might be fairly pointless but we'll see.

Freddy Garcia & Phil Hughes appear to be doing their best to give Cashman an easy decision when Pineda & Pettite are good to go, Garcia got beaten around the park last night.

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Freddy Garcia & Phil Hughes appear to be doing their best to give Cashman an easy decision when Pineda & Pettite are good to go, Garcia got beaten around the park last night.
    Loved it! If I remember correctly, that's the first time the Twins have beaten the Yankees at Yankee Stadium for a long time. With Pavano getting the win. /evil laugh.

Think it was a bigger shock that Pavano actually got to the mound in New York than the Yankees losing the game to be honest!

15+ Year Old Account
    The Twins need to tie a rock around Lariano's ankle and throw him in one of the 10,000 lakes in that state. That guy is back to being completely awful again.

The Twins need to tie a rock around Lariano's ankle and throw him in one of the 10,000 lakes in that state. That guy is back to being completely awful again.
    Liriano is a head case. He completely loses it if he's not getting close strike calls or if a couple guys get on base. He'll start over throwing and missing his spots, which makes the problem even worse. I think it was Swisher or Gardner batting and Liriano walked him on four pitches... four fastballs. What major league pitcher misses with four fastballs in a row?

I'd rather somehow amputate Pavano's head and sew it on Liriano's body. There, the stable mind of a real pitcher and the arm of an ace. We'll name him Franciscarl Paviano. Yeah.

I wish the Twins had traded him after 2010 when he might have been worth something. Would probably get a bucket of baseballs and a ham sandwich for him now. He's a free agent after this year, so watch out, he may be coming to a team near you in 2013.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-04-18 at 06:58 PM.

i wouldn't land anyone with Carl Pavano's head, that right there is the very definition of a bad idea or have you forgotten that the guy's head was so screwed that the only reason he isn't New York's most expensive mistake is because of Kei Igawa?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Texas is still rolling . Only issue is Yu needs to work on those walks.