Page 47 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    3 in one game is not bad going!
    I think they said he's only the fourth or fifth guy to ever do it in a World Series game. So... congratulation to him, he joined a short list with some good company.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson & Albert Pujols - definitely not a bad list to be on by anyone's standards!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Ahh, that's right. I was confused about fourth or fifth person to do it because Ruth did it twice. Thanks!

what a trooper Doug Fister is, took a liner off the head & pitches another 4 innings - probably gonna have a hell of a headache this morning though made worse by the fact the tigers lost 2-0, still, atleast he has the painkiller of telling Justin Verlander "hey, atleast I gave up less runs than you!".

To be fair, looking at the pitching matchup, would you have guessed Justin Verlander would stink in game 1 with Barry Zito 2012 doing his best impression of Barry Zito 2002? The Tigers have good pitching, but and I mean no disrespect here, take Fielder & Cabrera out the equation that lineup's not very scary, sure you got some guys who can bop in there, but if you quieten that pair down the noise is getting distinctly quieter - and well, in an NL ballpark the noise is definitely not as loud when you have to either play Delmon Young in the field (risky) or lose him. They got through the ALCS but lets be brutally honest here, they only had two games where they really did damage you wouldn't expect a decent hitting team to be able to match.

There's a long way to go in this world series, but the Tigers have come up against a very difficult opponent in the Giants and well, their ace in the hole didn't quite look like the ace we know he can be - he might be able to go three times, but he's gonna need to pitch lights out in that second game to see the third!

10+ Year Old Account
    East coast sports media bias never ceases to amaze me. GO GIANTS!!!!

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Grats Tigers on the World Series. Now you get to face real pitching.
    T,FTFY. Gigantes!
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-10-28 at 03:55 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    T,FTFY. Gigantes!
    :P. Giants are kicking some serious ass.

---------- Post added 2012-10-28 at 06:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    East coast sports media bias never ceases to amaze me. GO GIANTS!!!!
    Not just the East Coast, afaik Vegas had the Tigers as pretty heavy favorites as well.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Not just the East Coast, afaik Vegas had the Tigers as pretty heavy favorites as well.
    As did I. Now about to lose all of my money!

(Kidding, I don't gamble).

Just gotta say, how unfair is it when you ditch the starter and BOOM the reliever is Tim Lincecum....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Just gotta say, how unfair is it when you ditch the starter and BOOM the reliever is Tim Lincecum....
    Timmy just pitches better right out of the bullpen. There's nothing unfair about it, its all part of Bruce Bochy's master plan to strengthen the pitching corp of the Giants and it's working pretty well.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unbelievable, I can't believe from on the verge of being eliminated in two series, to sweeping the world series, that we won it all. Parade time soon woo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Proud Giants fan here. What an amazing run highlighting a true team effort, stellar defense, great pitching and a fair share of luck However in regard to luck, a good quote comes to mind. "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." - Lucius Annaeus Seneca.

The Giants, OUR Giants had all of the opportunity in the world and they seized it. Congratulations!

Giants did well, they're a good team which is scrappy, fights hard & has a certain measure of the 2004 Red Sox about them, just a little bit off the wall, loud & hungry, goes to show you don't need the big contracts to win the big one, not once but twice in 3 years! I did say the Tigers might be in a bit of bother when they find someone who can hit the ball as well as pitch, just wasn't expecting a sweep!

.. and let the hot stove begin!

pitchers & catchers report in about 14 weeks

SF Giants of 2012: Further proof that great pitching > great bats.

man I think even mediocre pitching would have trumped the Tigers' bats in the WS, there may have been a week between games for them but there's also the fact only their pitchers got any real work in against the Yankees, the bats just about did enough in games 2 & 3 and not much more than enough in game 1 of the ALCS - but they didn't do anything in the WS.

I knew the Giants were gonna win it all the second I saw Barry fucking Zito throwing a shutout in the NLCS. If you can motivate BARRY FUCKING ZITO to pitch a shutout in 2012, you can do anything. And then he did it again when he out-pitched Verlander in game 1. Just unreal.

Was he worth that $126 million just for those 2 games? I say yes.

A very big congrats to SF. Kind of reminded me a bit of the 1988 Oakland-LA series where Oakland was favored but LA was the one sweeping. Poor Detroit though.