Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper0878 View Post
    I can see other classes crying about Elementalist being able to swap weapons and each set having 4 attunements even though we can only change while out of battle. I don't see ANet allowing us to switch mid fight
    This doesn't even make sence. If they do a set swap ability any class could use it and would only be available out of combat.

Deleted
    Hey, what do you guys think of this build: http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/ele...|2250|0|0|0|0|

It's supposed to be an supportive build

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    Hey, what do you guys think of this build: http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/ele...|2250|0|0|0|0|

Played this build in tournament with my Guild and I can say in fact that it was very strong even though my guildeys sucked hard ass... :P

Played this build in tournament with my Guild and I can say in fact that it was very strong even though my guildeys sucked hard ass... :P
    Should have gone with me.

Hey, what do you guys think of this build:
    I ran a similar build, and I think it could be slightly more effective, depending on what you want to do. 10 more points in Air instead of Earth means you get Zephyr's Boon, which stacks with Powerful Aura which you already have traited.

Also I think it's better to switch to dagger/dagger as your Auras from Water and Air are both really effective, especially when they stack with allies AND give everyone might and swiftness. I ran more cantrip utilities rather than glyphs, as because you only have one trait in glyphs I don't think you're really getting as much out of it as you would if you want to go an entire glyph build.

It works pretty well for SPvP as long as you stay in a group with 2-3 other people, but I may run something different staff based for WvW, because you can't tank much and it will probably be too dangerous to stay that close range with so many people
    Last edited by derrida26; 2012-06-28 at 10:31 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derrida26 View Post
    I ran a similar build, and I think it could be slightly more effective, depending on what you want to do. 10 more points in Air instead of Earth means you get Zephyr's Boon, which stacks with Powerful Aura which you already have traited.

Also I think it's better to switch to dagger/dagger as your Auras from Water and Air are both really effective, especially when they stack with allies AND give everyone might and swiftness. I ran more cantrip utilities rather than glyphs, as because you only have one trait in glyphs I don't think you're really getting as much out of it as you would if you want to go an entire glyph build.

It works pretty well for SPvP as long as you stay in a group with 2-3 other people, but I may run something different staff based for WvW, because you can't tank much and it will probably be too dangerous to stay that close range with so many people
    I changed my elite skill to "Glyph of Elementals" (which I mainly used with water element, heals+dmg). - 2 glyphs there
    The glyph that resurrects was extremely powerful in the sPvP I can tell you, I revived 2 targets once @ the keep in a tournament game and changed the battle to our win. That's just really strong.
    I tried out D/D actually but I prefer to be able to stay at longer ranger as a support, like in the background. Also the Static Field is really really overpowered. 3 second stun, that's A LOT. I ran with a warrior whom had traited 50% crit chance vs stunned targets which made us a deadly combo on the battlefield.
    I also had a lot of use of the earth trait (giving Armor of Earth), it's an immunity vs everything except for conditions for 5 seconds.

Scepter/Focus was pretty good also as support, but D/D is just way to close range tbh.

But in the next BWE a lot of things have probably changed and I'll continue to tweak my build till then. (By the way, I used Rune of Earth - That gives Magnetic Aura @ 20% health. It'll provide Magnetic Aura to your team. Pretty strong imo, also used a lot of other runes some better and some worse).

can i shameless bump this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimgo View Post
    can i shameless bump this?
    You may, but I'm not responsible for the likely spam infraction.

Since it's been bumped I might aw well just say I enjoyed playing an Ele this weekend in PvP. I actually ran an all signet condition damage build. Effective 1v1 but not very good at taking on of multiple people. Fairly effective build but I didn't really tinker with the build too much as I was focused on playing Engi/ Warrior most of the time.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

10+ Year Old Account
    I had trouble enjoying my Elementalist as much as my Guardian this time around. Not sure why.

Maybe I love the guy of being an armored giant, leaping into battle with a massive greatsword that slaughters all enemies. O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Eles seemed to be doing a bit less damage, overall, than previous BWEs. I'm still bummed that there aren't any good Conjurer traits. Love the class, still have no idea what traits to get, and I may just do an even spread since the bonuses don't really add up to much in the long run and most of the traits are pretty worthless for a conjurer.

Hmm, I have mixed feelings about elementalist traits from BWE3.

One theme that is working very well is auras and signets. You'll probably want to pick up Fire's Embrace and Zephyr's Boon and then either go for spreading the love with Powerful Aura, or keeping it all to yourself by going deep into earth with Elemental Shielding and Written in Stone. (Something like this build looks awesome - I wish I had tried it out in the beta.)

The only thing that I miss with that theme is a way to build for auras without using signets and Fire's Embrace. Right now you'd only have 2 auras with 25 and 40 seconds cooldown (dagger/dagger or dagger/focus). Having the earth aura on staff is not very helpful, and it would be nicer if you could get two of the auras from mainhand dagger and a third from your choice of offhand.

Then there's the arcane skills theme which is also working well. The fact that they give you combo finishers is a great touch, and there is enough trait support. It can be used for burst damage or heavy combo support with a staff.

The changing attunements theme is also working well. It doesn't interact with your utility skills though, so it can be used as more of a secondary theme, or for builds with more mixed utility skills.

Cantrips traits might be in a decent shape since you can combine it with some mist form traits, but I'm not completely sold on them.

When it comes to glyphs the only good thing is that there are so many glyphs. You can fill your healing slot, all your utility slots and your elite with them, but there are only two quite bland traits to get. I'd like to see something that boosts the elemental summoning here, like a grandmaster trait to summon two elementals instead of one.

And as Cyclone Jack mentioned, conjures also really lack trait support. You could easily have a trait that just grants some boons each time you use a conjure skill or whatever. Maybe use it for some retaliation theme.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananan View Post
    Hmm, I have mixed feelings about elementalist traits from BWE3.

One theme that is working very well is auras and signets. You'll probably want to pick up Fire's Embrace and Zephyr's Boon and then either go for spreading the love with Powerful Aura, or keeping it all to yourself by going deep into earth with Elemental Shielding and Written in Stone. (Something like this build looks awesome - I wish I had tried it out in the beta.)

The only thing that I miss with that theme is a way to build for auras without using signets and Fire's Embrace. Right now you'd only have 2 auras with 25 and 40 seconds cooldown (dagger/dagger or dagger/focus). Having the earth aura on staff is not very helpful, and it would be nicer if you could get two of the auras from mainhand dagger and a third from your choice of offhand.

Then there's the arcane skills theme which is also working well. The fact that they give you combo finishers is a great touch, and there is enough trait support. It can be used for burst damage or heavy combo support with a staff.

The changing attunements theme is also working well. It doesn't interact with your utility skills though, so it can be used as more of a secondary theme, or for builds with more mixed utility skills.

Cantrips traits might be in a decent shape since you can combine it with some mist form traits, but I'm not completely sold on them.

When it comes to glyphs the only good thing is that there are so many glyphs. You can fill your healing slot, all your utility slots and your elite with them, but there are only two quite bland traits to get. I'd like to see something that boosts the elemental summoning here, like a grandmaster trait to summon two elementals instead of one.

And as Cyclone Jack mentioned, conjures also really lack trait support. You could easily have a trait that just grants some boons each time you use a conjure skill or whatever. Maybe use it for some retaliation theme.
    My two favorite Ele builds right now are 20/30/20/0/0 with Signets for Elemental Shielding, Fire's Embrace, and Zephyr's Boon, or 10/30/0/30/0 with Cantrips for Spell Slinger, Zephyr's Boon, and Powerful Aura.

It's worth noting that you can't get Fire's Embrace + Zephyr's Boon + Written in Stone/Powerful Aura. Fire's Embrace is second tier, while the other two are third tier.

Part of the reason I dislike tiered traits is that my favorite build was previously a kind of... 10/10/20/10/20 Signets build with Elemental Shielding, Zephyr's Boon, Powerful Aura, Fire's Embrace, Written in Stone, Arcane Energy, and Elemental Attunement.
    Alas, it cannot be done in full anymore. :<

I'll probably primarily do Cantrip builds, tbh. They seem like the most powerful utility spells.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-07-26 at 08:25 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Now now, it's all about timing, when the theif thread dies then you start a new one.
    lt's really annoying when somebody consumes such an amount of energy to write such a big an constructive post that will eventually go unnoticed

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum
    20/30/20/0/0 with Signets for Elemental Shielding, Fire's Embrace, and Zephyr's Boon
    So 30 in Air? What does that give you that beats Written in Stone from the build I linked? The 10 points I spent in Water there are debatable though.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum
    10/30/0/30/0 with Cantrips for Spell Slinger, Zephyr's Boon, and Powerful Aura
    So you found that auras are good enough to specialize for even without Fire's Embrace? You'd use Dagger/Dagger and spec for shorter cooldowns on Air and Water skills to get at least some more frequest auras then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananan View Post
    So 30 in Air? What does that give you that beats Written in Stone from the build I linked? The 10 points I spent in Water there are debatable though.

So you found that auras are good enough to specialize for even without Fire's Embrace? You'd use Dagger/Dagger and spec for shorter cooldowns on Air and Water skills to get at least some more frequest auras then?
    EDIT: Wait, the skill calc says that Zephyr's Boon is tier 1 now? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?! O_O
    So it looks like I can go back to my old Signets + Auras build, although I still cannot combine Elemental Shielding and Powerful Aura. So I gotta choose between being powerful on my own, or being amazing at supporting the group... BAH!
    Why can't I do boooth?! D:

So... guess that changes up to a few different potential builds.
    Fire's Embrace + Written in Stone
    Fire's Embrace + Elemental Shielding + Arcane Energy
    Fire's Embrace + Powerful Aura
    Powerful Aura + Cantrips
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-07-26 at 09:17 PM.

The various calculators seem to agree on it, but yeah, they've still kept Powerful Aura and Elemental Shielding unreachable together (since you really want Zephyr's Boon and Fire's Embrace). You can get it all without Fire's Embrace of course, but I was a little doubtful to how useful the auras are then...

The auras thing is fun. I wish there were more mechanics as interesting as that one in the elementalist trait lines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm glad they changed that much. I remember making a thread in BWE2 specifically complaining about the inability to continue using my build concept of signets + auras. They may not have brought back my old build in entirety, but this should make me happy enough. If they changed Powerful Aura to be tier 2 or tier 1, I'd be much happier with it, however... le sigh
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-07-26 at 09:18 PM.

Drake, I'm severely behind on Elementalists at the moment. Can you link whatever builds you might have and what they each do?

I focused almost 100% on warrior in the BWEs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just linked 4 builds above because I noticed an exciting change, which may or may not have been aided by my input from BWE2.

I focused almost entirely on Guardian, so I almost missed that change myself. :O