Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Hey I'm back with another noobie question! So I'm going to hit level 80 today and really have no idea how I should start gearing. I've done a little google searching but I'm really only finding from recent threads to just go get zerker gear. Sadly I'm a noob and don't know what that is or how to get it!

I will first state that right now I'm only trying to PvE. Dungeons, world events, champions etc. Not going to go into WvW yet. So how should I obtain gear? Do I farm champs, buy on the trading post, buy w/ karma?

I'm really just curious how I would gear to do explorable dungeons and world type events like I listed above. I will come back in regards to fractels and wvw and anything else, unless anyone is kind enough to explain that as well. Thanks!

Edit: Also what stats should I look for? Should I balance stats such as healing or should I have a separate set for DPS and support or is at all the same set of gear? What sigils/things should I use in my upgrade slots? I've just been throwing in whatever I gathered as I leveled as I knew I'd just replace it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpenth View Post
    Hey I'm back with another noobie question! So I'm going to hit level 80 today and really have no idea how I should start gearing. I've done a little google searching but I'm really only finding from recent threads to just go get zerker gear. Sadly I'm a noob and don't know what that is or how to get it!

I will first state that right now I'm only trying to PvE. Dungeons, world events, champions etc. Not going to go into WvW yet. So how should I obtain gear? Do I farm champs, buy on the trading post, buy w/ karma?

I'm really just curious how I would gear to do explorable dungeons and world type events like I listed above. I will come back in regards to fractels and wvw and anything else, unless anyone is kind enough to explain that as well. Thanks!

Edit: Also what stats should I look for? Should I balance stats such as healing or should I have a separate set for DPS and support or is at all the same set of gear? What sigils/things should I use in my upgrade slots? I've just been throwing in whatever I gathered as I leveled as I knew I'd just replace it all.
    http://dulfy.net/2012/10/03/gw2-endgame-gearing-guide/

For most basic content, go Power as your number 1 stat, then for secondary stats go either precision+crit if you are very good at avoiding damage or mix it up with vitality+toughness if you need it.
    Valar morghulis

In PvE (mostly dungeons) the only thing that really matters is DPS. All bad stuff can be avoided by appropriately dodging/healing so once you're at a level where you know what to hits to dodge and what hits to take (and heal through) you are gimping yourself by using defensive gear (toughness, vitality, healing, ...).

The best offensive builds out there are berserkers(zerker for short) which means gear that has power/precision/critical damage. The reason for this is how poorly a-net implemented condition damage and how good the synergy/scaling is of zerker gear.

You can find zerker gear on the trading post, crafted, wvw or certain dungeons(cof, coe or arah).

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've got some Karma head to Cursed Shore, a full set of exotics is ~250k iirc from the temple vendors (different temples have different stats).
    Also map completion of the higher zones (all of Orr, Frostgorge, Mt Maelstrom) give 2 exotics each.
    Valar morghulis

Ok, I seem to have a much better understanding of how to gear my character now. However I have another question: From what I understand Scepter/Dagger or Dagger/Dagger is the best for pure dps output. Right now I am looking to work on Been There, Done that and just do some world events like Clockwork Chaos. Would a staff be better for this? I've read some argue that way however most people just claim S/D and D/D are the best pure damage yet I read about people struggling to do thinks like farm Orr Temples with S/D and D/D builds and prefer staff. What do you guys think? Should I stick with S/D or go with a staff for my purposes at the moment?

Farming orr is hard with s/d and d/d because you can't tag enough + you put yourself in harms way (imagine standing bang in the middle of 30-50 foes). There's a solution though, use S/D (fire since those are nice aoe) and get the skills "conjure frost bow" and "conjure fiery greatsword" + glyph of stormsthis still won't work as well as staff though.

For been there done that tagging really doesn't matter that much. You only really need damage on skill challenges and for that s/d and d/d are awesome. AoE tagging in hearts (kill X of enemy etc) can be done easily with X/D due to how strong earthquake+churning earth are (and you can grab the glyph mentioned before + arcane wave).

10+ Year Old Account
    If there's a ton of mobs in one area (who aren't moving around too much), staff would probably be the way to go wouldn't it? Long range, lots of strong AoE, can grab that arcane trait for wider staff radius, etc.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

I made a might stacking build, prob been done before but oh well (I just started working on ele):

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=...;9;47s0;1VAk3B

15 stacks of might for 48 seconds from yourself.

-49% crit
    -55% crit damage
    -16k hp
    -1600 toughness (1600 is apparently the go to point for ele)
    -800 condition damage
    -18 extra seconds on might
    -400 healing power
    -3400 attack w/o sigil

Gives 15 stacks of might to you and everyone near you and 50+ seconds of fury
    Last edited by zito; 2013-09-10 at 09:12 PM.

I don't see the point of this build, there are better offensive builds out there (the lightning hammer that I linked) that brings the same stuff but adds damage so why not bring that?

Celestial gear is horrible and should never be used, not a single prof gets any worthwhile gain from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I don't see the point of this build, there are better offensive builds out there (the lightning hammer that I linked) that brings the same stuff but adds damage so why not bring that?

Celestial gear is horrible and should never be used, not a single prof gets any worthwhile gain from it.
    The point is I don't fucking like conjure weapons and I wanted a scepter build

Don't get mad.

You can run the lightning hammer build without conjures too and it's a better build than the one you posted.
    http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fEEQ...YxtIas6aMlLRUN I'd use full zerker but that's just me
    Is the link, ofcourse you're gimping yourself since using a LH will give more dps but w/e
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2013-09-10 at 09:42 PM.

Don't get mad.

You can run the lightning hammer build without conjures too and it's a better build than the one you posted.
    http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fEEQ...YxtIas6aMlLRUN
    Is the link, ofcourse you're gimping yourself since using a LH will give more dps but w/e
    Mine has more survival at the cost of some damage which was what I was going for while still having support (via arcana line and other things). If I wanted a full blown damage build I know how to make one.

Good job learning how to read while still being an ass hat.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Good job learning how to read while still being an ass hat.
    Just a double post, don't get your panties in a twist and stop swearing.
    Not once in your post do you say that you want to go for more survival and support so put a sock in it and cool off a bit.

You're trading off damage for nothing. Healing won't help you stay alive at all, your 500 healing power will make your heal skill heal for an additional 375 health, which won't save you and thus is useless. You get 5k hp and 700 toughness which also both aren't going to save your life.

If you want to be more tanky instead of wasting all your traits/gear bring other utility skills like arcane shield/armor of earth/lightning flash.
    If you can't stay alive with that use the gear that is used in the build I linked PVT on head, chest and legs.

Your build isn't bringing more support, it's bringing more defensive tools for yourself which is fine but you didn't disclose that in your original message. You only said you wanted to bring might, which the builds I linked do just as well.

Arcana doesn't add more utility. EA is very situational at best (which means unreliable) RS only helps you so the only additional support you get is from Ell Att.

Cleansing Wave also is a useless trait since you should have plenty of condi removal as is and if you don't you can change your heal skill to Ether Renewal.
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2013-09-10 at 10:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently S/D is the new hype for PvP but I can't fking figure out how to hit anything with Phoenix or Tooth. Also I tried full glass yesterday (0/30/0/10/30 + zerker) and then a glass Thief removed all 15k of my health in roughly 0.8 seconds. I'm not even exaggerating, it was literally thief opens > all my hp gone > I die. Or alternatively, thief opens > I blow mist form > thief goes invis > re-opens > I instantly die. Could do absolutely nothing, not even enough time to get 1 spell off.

Christ it's WoW all over again with S3/T6 Glaive Rogues.

I can't make up my mind between bunker (0/10/0/30/30) or glass (0/30/0/10/30). As bunker the game becomes an absolute crawl, going against a guardian/engi is like try to break a brick wall with a brick tied to my head....but as glass it's pretty much game over against thief, mesmer or necro.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-09-10 at 10:37 PM.

Just a double post, don't get your panties in a twist and stop swearing.
    Not once in your post do you say that you want to go for more survival and support so put a sock in it and cool off a bit.

You're trading off damage for nothing. Healing won't help you stay alive at all, your 500 healing power will make your heal skill heal for an additional 375 health, which won't save you and thus is useless. You get 5k hp and 700 toughness which also both aren't going to save your life.

If you want to be more tanky instead of wasting all your traits/gear bring other utility skills like arcane shield/armor of earth/lightning flash.
    If you can't stay alive with that use the gear that is used in the build I linked PVT on head, chest and legs.

Your build isn't bringing more support, it's bringing more defensive tools for yourself which is fine but you didn't disclose that in your original message. You only said you wanted to bring might, which the builds I linked do just as well.

Arcana doesn't add more utility. EA is very situational at best (which means unreliable) RS only helps you so the only additional support you get is from Ell Att.

Cleansing Wave also is a useless trait since you should have plenty of condi removal as is and if you don't you can change your heal skill to Ether Renewal.
    When you looked at my build the first thing that pops into your head is "he's not trying to maximize dps" so don't link a build to maximize a dps when that was clearly not my goal.

My goal is to have good damage with decent support. My only other condition removal is cleansing wave so that's not tons of condition removal, that's 1 and it removes 1 condition. Healing power will boost EA, cleansing wave and trident a long with the aoe regen I will be giving out and the passive I get from water attunement. With EA and cleansing wave trait and move I have 3 condition removals and the extra healing power helps on my allies as well.

While still maintaining over 3.5k attack, 49% crit 55% crit damage and almost 1000 condition damage and providing 15+ stacks of might for almost a minute and permanent fury to everyone. with 16k hp and 1600 toughness (which is apparently the golden area for elementalists)

That's great damage (not the best obviously) while improving group support and being able to take a hit which was my goal and I accomplish said goal kthx.
    Last edited by zito; 2013-09-10 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Apparently S/D is the new hype for PvP but I can't fking figure out how to hit anything with Phoenix or Tooth. Also I tried full glass yesterday (0/30/0/10/30 + zerker) and then a glass Thief removed all 15k of my health in roughly 0.8 seconds. I'm not even exaggerating, it was literally thief opens > all my hp gone > I die. Or alternatively, thief opens > I blow mist form > thief goes invis > re-opens > I instantly die. Could do absolutely nothing, not even enough time to get 1 spell off.

Christ it's WoW all over again with S3/T6 Glaive Rogues.

I can't make up my mind between bunker (0/10/0/30/30) or glass (0/30/0/10/30). As bunker the game becomes an absolute crawl, going against a guardian/engi is like try to break a brick wall with a brick tied to my head....but as glass it's pretty much game over against thief, mesmer or necro.
    Thieves hardcounter eles, if you see one you better run.

That being said most people run http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=...J;4G3G3G3G34BO this build. You need to learn how to properly use your attunements though but the main thing is to never ever use your signet's active to heal. When you need heals go water use 453 and then go to earth for defense.

Atm I'm running into many s/f eles who rely on "oneshot" mechanics and focus immunity but I don't know the exact traits.

@Zito
    You said you wanted to stack might that's it, so that was the only goal I knew of. Given that criterium I can point to a build that brings the same might but gives more dps.

Then you add the next criterium "I don't like conjure weapons" so I point to another build that brings the same might but doesn't rely on conjure weapons.

Lastly you say "but I also want survivability" which you can attain through other (less wasteful) means such as pvt head, chest and legs + alternate utilities.

You reacted in a very rude manner from the get go because you failed to mention your intent which was "My goal is to have good damage with decent support.", you only EVER spoke of might stacking.

And cleansing wave should suffice to clear conditions and in the case it doesn't just grab Ether Renewal as I said.
    And yes healing power will buff all that, but it's all pointless anyway those little ticks won't keep anyone alive. You should know this since you've pointed out plenty of times that the game revolves around one-shot mechanics.
    You simply do not need 3 condition removals and when you do, it's far more efficient (and effective) to change your skill or utility (cleansing fire).

Also attack is a silly stat to mention power is where it's at. The problem in your little list is that you forget the most crucial multiplier of all damage, which scales insanely. 1k condi damage is nice but it's only buffing burning so this again is a useless stat. You get the same amount of might and vuln with the other builds I've mentioned. It's also important that the stats you're throwing out include the might and fury so if you're honest you'd say that you have 29% crit chance and 1.9k power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't sPvP with Elementalist. There is no role you can do that another class can't do twice as well. Found this out the hard way.

Any tips for underwater combat? :P

It looks like there are only 3 fields (fire, lightning, smoke) and 2 finishers (water #5 leap, earth #1 w/a 20% projectile chance). I've been trying fire #2 + water #5, but I feel like there should be more. It just seems like underwater is really lacking on elementalist (or at least it's far more support oriented than actual DPS) unless I'm missing something (hence this post :P).

I just want the combat to go faster. I really hate underwater on ele, most of the time I spam abilities and just chip away HP on stuff and since I'm glass cannon then it turns into a 'who's going to die first' game of chicken. -_-

It's been a while since I played underwater (especially with ele) but if I recall correctly Air is where it's at. To increase DPS you can swap and spam 2(set it to auto-attack on each attunement). I don't know if conjured weapons work underwater that might be worth looking into. Utilities should be arcane blast/wave+ w/e you like (I think I'm running glyph of storms for syncing with "tornado").

Most people think fire is king but it's quite horrible in all honesty.