Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    In my case, I'm just having a hard time even deciding WHAT to trait. I already know what skills I'd like to use.

I think I'm just going to have to play the professions and use the skills to really decide what traits benefit my playstyle best. I also need to decide, for every class, just how badly I need improved endurance generation.
    Well what skills do you want to use? If you want to use signets, invest in earth. Glyphs? Air. Arcane spells? Arcane. and then fire for blowin stuff up.. and might.

As for endurance, I've decided to stay without endurance traits for every class. I am going to try not relying on dodge so much and just proper position, movement boons, slows/stuns/etc., but thats just me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sethers656 View Post
    Well what skills do you want to use? If you want to use signets, invest in earth. Glyphs? Air. Arcane spells? Arcane. and then fire for blowin stuff up.. and might.
    It's not so easy as that. :P
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

It's not so easy as that. :P
    For me it is :P

As for endurance, I've decided to stay without endurance traits for every class. I am going to try not relying on dodge so much and just proper position, movement boons, slows/stuns/etc., but thats just me.

I'm not sure if that'll work out, but we'll see. Anyway if your earth trait goes high enough, you can increase your damage when your vigor is full thus you boost your damage with vigor boosts.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Hello. Just used the trait calculator to come up with a build: http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;ff...faa;bbaa;ZgkTZ

Going to use an Earth attuned tanky survival based build. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    Hello. Just used the trait calculator to come up with a build: http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;ff...faa;bbaa;ZgkTZ

I guess it could work in theory. I dont like your Air trait as I dont think you have too many channeled spells.. Also, I think you could switch your fire trait to maybe get more charges for your shield. I knew that a tanky Earth build was a possibility, but it still seems off. I think you could use your Earth traits to get mroe tanky if you want instead of damage..

Overall I think it could work crippling/bleeding/knockdown your opponents.

Deleted
    I was going to make an Asura Guardian as my main

but after some yt video's I decided to make a Human elementalist :B

10+ Year Old Account
    So, I've been spending a bunch of time looking through GW2Tools, trying to imagine how I'd like to build my Elementalist... and boy is it hard for me to choose from all the traits. I'll pick a set of three traits, and there will still be other traits that I want! D:
    I'm honestly not even sure where I'd want to put my attributes, nor 100% sold on my utilities.

Currently leaning towards this build for now
    However, It might be too offensively focused. It will take actually testing out my character's build to find out if I should sacrifice some offense to be a little harder to kill.
    I love Dagger/Dagger Elementalist, and I especially love the Lightning Hammer. In general, I love the air-themed spells most, so I'm trying to focus my build on favoring that, even if I do jump to other attunements for specific situations. (and my character's "back story" will certainly be themed around an obsession with storms)
    Hell, I'd even be fine with Mist Form or Cleansing Flame...

I think the only trait I'm 100% sold on is Conjurer. Possibly Zephyr's Boon.
    The only utilities I'm sold on 100% are Conjure Lightning Hammer and Lightning Flash (yes, I know, it's redundant with off-hand dagger in air attunement, but it breaks stun, unlike Ride the Lightning - it can also be used regardless of attunement, and might have a longer range).

But when I look at my options here, all the following traits look really great (separated into Fire/Air/Earth/Water/Arcane):
    Burning Precision
    Spell Slinger

Grounded
    Aeromancer's Alacrity
    Bolt to the Heart
    Inscription (I'd change my elite to Glyph of Elementals if I did this, as well as replace Signet of Air with Glyph of Storms)
    Air Training
    Tempest Strength (daggers just look HIGHLY mobile)
    Zephyr's Focus (I'd grab Ether Renewal if I did)
    Soothing Winds (would allow my water attunement to be more helpful, since I have air maxed)
    One With the Wind (probably unnecessary if I keep Signet of Air, combined with the first minor trait in air)

Elemental Shielding (dagger/dagger and dagger/focus make the best use of this, as other weapon sets have only one aura skill each)
    Written in Stone
    Stone Splinters (using daggers anyways, so I have Ride the Lightning and Magnetic Grasp)
    Geomancer's Freedom (I think Lightning Hammer would be enough here, but I could be convinced to grab the Lava Axe as well)

Cantrip Master
    Piercing Shards (primarily useful because of the grandmaster minor trait in Air, but Lightning Touch does apply vulnerability for a short time)

Renewing Stamina (I'm already built towards crits after all)
    Arcane Resurrection
    Arcane Energy (yeah, only one Signet, but still useful!)
    Arcane Retribution
    Elemental Surge
    Elemental Attunement
    Evasive Arcana (theory: it creates a stasis field on dodge? I'd love to see videos of this)
    Final Shielding
    Windbourne Dagger (probably not needed if I have Signet of Air, since I also have more than 5 points in Air)

Since I don't plan to attunement swap too often, if I can help it, I probably won't want to put too much into Arcane. Although I don't mind being supportive, it's just not really my thing (that is, I don't want to be too focused upon it), so I don't really have much interest in the Water trait line at all. I'm also not particularly interested in building to be "tanky" (i.e. hard to kill), as I'd like to try relying on dodge and proper positioning (though I don't mind getting 1-2 defensive traits, because I don't want to be a glass cannon).
    In the case of Air and Fire, my offensive playstyle certainly favors putting a lot of points into them. But as you can see, trait choice is a bitch!
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-03 at 06:15 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I dont undestand your build at all really... You are using 2 major traits that work with Auras... As far was we know the only auras are Shocking Aura and Frost aura. 1 is on a 20 sec CD and 1 is on a 40 sec CD... they are just not worth it trait slots honestly. Your build is just all over the place. You have 1 glyph, 1 conjure, 1 cantrip, 1 signet, and tornado... it just doesnt mesh well together. You need to focus on maximum 2 things imo. I'd say choose Conjures and Glyphs. I real quick make a build that you might/might not like http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;kp...Zaa;bbaa;ZWQjZ.

I feel you are trying to play every role of the Elementalist at once.. and you just cant. Or I guess you could do something mroe defensive like http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;pk...gaa;bbaa;bSQTY but I dont really like that build...

At the end of the day, you need to focus on what you want.

Let me show you my current two builds:
    1. Solo Pve - http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;kp...cda;bbaa;bZbYZ
    2. Organized PvP - http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;pk...aaa;bbaa;YVgfY

Very straightforward, very fun crit monsters. Arcane for PvE even more crit crazy and 2 for a more defensive PvP build with some build in toughness/slows. Just my 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are using 2 major traits that work with Auras... As far was we know the only auras are Shocking Aura and Frost aura. 1 is on a 20 sec CD and 1 is on a 40 sec CD... they are just not worth it trait slots honestly.
    Subjective. Both cooldowns are actually very short, for Guild Wars 2, especially when you consider that they're situational. Most abilities used in GW2 have situational uses, not "I'm gonna blow this on CD!" like it is in WoW. (you may notice that a LOT of good utilities have 60 second CDs or more, including, for example, the Thief signet that causes his next attack to hit for 1.5x damage)
    Since both Auras are primarily defensive in nature (i.e. I'm being attacked), it's nice to make it so I also take less damage when I activate them.
    It might be redundant to also cause them to give Might and Swiftness, but this allows me to use the spells offensively as well as defensively. (the way I see it, if I'm being focused, I want to hit really hard for a bit to either discourage them from facing me directly, or else allow me to leave a "parting gift" before I dodge out)

You have 1 glyph, 1 conjure, 1 cantrip, 1 signet, and tornado... it just doesnt mesh well together. You need to focus on maximum 2 things imo. I'd say choose Conjures and Glyphs.
    I feel you are trying to play every role of the Elementalist at once.. and you just cant.
    Having things spread out like that, instead of focusing primarily on one type of spell doesn't mean I'm trying to play every role at once, it just means I don't benefit from traits that specifically benefit one spell type. (note: roles are damage, support, control - I strongly build towards damage, with a bit of control)
    Example: I'm not likely to bother, for example, traiting glyphs with the utilities I have. You'll notice, in my massive list above, that with the one glyph-related trait I'm interested in, I'd swap my Signet of Air for a Glyph of Storms, and also replace Tornado with Glyph of Elementals (I already prefer the Glyph heal over the others).
    I could also replace that Signet with Cleansing Flame (and I probably COULD use that defensive boost I admit), which wouldn't be a bad way to go. I was mostly shooting for the extra mobility (synergizes well with the Air minor trait that already boosts movespeed, and they stack from what I've heard), while also giving me another method to control my enemy. (probably not the most important, since dagger/dagger has plenty of control in every attunement)

When it comes to Conjure spells, I think it's a bit redundant to have more than one, traits or not, else you're likely to never use your actual weapons. The lightning hammer cooldown is 60 seconds, and I can use it's abilities 25 times (traited). Based on what the wiki lists for the ability CDs, it's going to last for very close to 60 seconds, if not longer.

The Tornado elite is a BIG cooldown - it doubles your health pool, gives you stability (immunity to all kiting conditions), and gives me some pretty powerful damage. The one downside to it, honestly, is that it locks me out of all of my other spells when transformed (and I hear it moves slowly?), so I'm certainly tempted to stick with Glyph of Elementals. I will have to actually play the game and see how each Elite feels.

The only "role" I'm really working towards is offensive power and mobility (as well as controlling enemy movement), and I just happen to achieve it in multiple ways.
    Why do you think I traited to get Might from my two Aura spells and my (teleporting) Cantrip, as well as air spells recharging faster (note - this works for Lightning Hammer, which has a 4sec CD leap), and doing more damage to stunned/knocked down foes? (synergizes well with Air attunement abilities, and the lightning hammer, and even one of the earth spells - plus controlling THEIR movement, means I'm more mobile than they are)
    Why do you think I maxed out both Air and Fire? Big attribute boosts in Power, Crit chance, crit damage, and also Condition duration (benefits Burning, Bleeding, Chilling, Blinding, Crippling...). And now, if I use Lightning Flash to initiate combat, I get three stacks of Might to boost my damage for a bit. I already have three spells that will grant me Might... do i really need Cleansing Fire?

If I do get Cleansing Fire, it will be to have an extra stun breaker, as well as condition removal for myself (since I don't grab Ether Renewal), and that's two utilities I can use that will give me Migh. However, I'd truly hate to use Cleansing Fire just to gain Might, only to get Chilled a few seconds later, and then proceed to be kited. (at least fire attunement has that burning speed spell).

I get what you're saying, and do appreciate the perspective, but I think you're looking at it from the perspective of WoW gameplay. :S
    (On that note, I might drop Spell Slinger to grab Renewing Stamina, so that I can use my dodge more often)
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-03 at 07:18 AM.

Subjective. Both cooldowns are actually very short, for Guild Wars 2, especially when you consider that they're situational. Most abilities used in GW2 have situational uses, not "I'm gonna blow this on CD!" like it is in WoW.
    Since both Auras are primarily defensive in nature (i.e. I'm being attacked), it's nice to make it so I also take less damage when I activate them.
    It might be redundant to also cause them to give Might and Swiftness, but this allows me to use the spells offensively as well as defensively.
    I feel you just proved my point even more. They are situational and wonr be used on CD. Which means you are getting even less use out of those 2 traits! There are only 2 auras and you wont be using them on CD... which means they arent worth the 2 trait slots imo.

Having things spread out like that, instead of focusing primarily on one type of spell doesn't mean I'm trying to play every role at once, it just means I don't benefit from traits that specifically benefit one spell type.
    Example: I'm not likely to bother, for example, traiting glyphs with the utilities I have. You'll notice, in my massive list above, that with the one glyph-related trait I'm interested in, I'd swap my Signet of Air for a Glyph of Storms (and I already prefer the Glyph heal over the others).
    I could also replace that Signet with Cleansing Flame (and I probably COULD use that defensive boost I admit), which wouldn't be a bad way to go. I was mostly shooting for the extra mobility (synergizes well with the Air minor trait that already boosts movespeed, and they stack from what I've heard), while also giving me another method to control my enemy. (probably not the most important, since dagger/dagger has plenty of control in every attunement)

When it comes to Conjure spells, I think it's a bit redundant to have more than one, traits or not, else you're likely to never use your actual weapons. The lightning hammer cooldown is 60 seconds, and I can use it's abilities 25 times (traited). Based on what the wiki lists for the ability CDs, it's going to last for very close to 60 seconds, if not longer.

The only "role" I'm really working towards is offensive power, and I just happen to achieve it in multiple ways.
    Why do you think I traited to get Might from my two Aura spells, as well as air spells recharging faster (note - this works for Lightning Hammer), and doing more damage to stunned/knocked down foes? (synergizes well with Air attunement abilities, and the lightning hammer, and even one of the earth spells)
    Why do you think I maxed out both Air and Fire? Big attribute boost. And now, if I use Lightning Flash to initiate combat, I get three stacks of Might to boost my damage for a bit (I could get a second cantrip to do that again, but why get redundant?)
    I can kind of get what you're saying here... maybe its just my playstyle taht I like specializing in my utility skills, but I'd still say you would be better off dropped the aura traits, getting 1 extra cantrip, getting a cantrip trait (Maybe Mist Form + Icy Mist/Cantrip Master). This way you get a bit more specialized in Cantrips, get a bit more defense, and can use them for stacks of might. This also lets you pick up an extra Air trait like "5% dmg while moving" or "move fast the longer you are in air attunement" that way you can drop singet of air while keeping some movespeed ( you said u want to focus in air attunement) and you get the extra defense from Mist Form. Also you wont feel pressured to use your auras as offensive abilities when you need to save them for defense.

Build would end up looking like this: http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;pp...aaa;bbaa;ZiQSY

Btw, srry if I come off as too critical xD I love making these builds and dsicussing/debating.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel you just proved my point even more. They are situational and wonr be used on CD. Which means you are getting even less use out of those 2 traits! There are only 2 auras and you wont be using them on CD... which means they arent worth the 2 trait slots imo.
    Not really. It just makes those abilities more useful in those situations. (also, 15% reduced recharge on air spells means that Shocking Aura is actually a 17 second CD)

I'm already going to be a dagger/dagger elementalist. Sure, I'll probably be carrying around alternate weapons in my bags just in case (I know SOME enemies will require me to have more range than the daggers give, so I'll be forced to use Staff or Scepter, not to mention any underwater combat I encounter), but being dagger/dagger means I will always have two auras. I can't choose to lose them without switching to another weapon set (and it wouldn't be dagger/focus).
    Those two traits means using those auras will be more beneficial to me when I decide to use them (and also DOES give me a reason to use them on CD, but I'll have to be smart about that).

On top of that, let's compare to what you suggest.
    I can either do 5% more damage at all times (so long as I'm moving that is), or I can use a damage-boosting cooldown. It's not necessarily the case that one is better or worse. One is just more bursty. (Arcane Power is, I might add, a very tempting burst-damage skill...)

Cantrip Master could be an interesting choice of major trait, since it would at least give me more incentive to jump into water attunement and throw out some healing to the group (though not nearly as much as Staff Water) and also give me some more health just for having points in Water.
    Let alone using Lightning Flash more often. I might need to think of a built I can enjoy with that.
    On that note, however, it's partially tempting to also trait into Powerful Auras, and thus I can help apply a defensive boost to my group (I wonder if they would also get Might, Swiftness, and Protection? This will require testing, but is a ridiculous amount of support for an offense-focused Ele build like what I'm going for)

I don't really like the feel of Mist Form, btw, mostly because of the long CD. I also find it weird that you suggest that I get Icy Mist, when Mist Form has a 75 second CD, yet you tell me it's a bad idea to get the two Aura traits I had for two separate Aura abilities, (17 second and 40 second cooldowns, respectively). Don't you think that's a little hypocritical? :P

I can see why you suggest losing the Aura-specific traits, and I don't entirely blame you, but I think they'll prove to be very useful. I'll have to play with it and find out. If I did specifically drop the Aura traits, I'd probably do something like this.
    Essentially, that replaces the extra defense/offense from my built-in auras with doing more damage when on the move, as well as methods to regenerate my HP (rather than taking less damage every 17 seconds). This would require a lot more... to borrow from Starcraft terms, APS.
    I didn't grab Cantrip Master, but gaining Vigor every time I use either of my Cantrips does also mean more Endurance (hopefully I actually use Dodge that much? We'll see).

It's a shame to lose that extra bit of Malice from having 10 points in Earth, boosting the power of my crits even further (since they could apply Burning), but this build WOULD be equally viable. *shrugs*

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 02:45 AM ----------

Has anybody seen what Glyph of Storms exactly does? It's wording leaves much to the imagination.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-03 at 08:04 AM.

I honestly feel like that is a much better build... although it make take more APM (not APS :P) You get more use out of your traits and you can use your Cantrips while using the Lightning Hammer, which is something I forgot to mention. WHen using your lightning hammer, which you appear to really like, you cant use your auras.. but now you can benefit from the cantrip traits. I think that build overall works better. Also I wouldnt be too worries about the few attribute points from trait lines.. While they do help, gear has a much more important role in stats.

I have seen a clip where they use Glyphs of Storms in Air Attune..Glyph of Storms.. It just looked like an elictrical storm... I'm guessing it would ahve some kind of extra effect, but not sure...

Also just as a weird side not.. take a look at the trait Fire's Embrace.. it says it gives you a fiery aura every time you activated a signet. I'm very curious if that counts as an "aura" for trait purposes... If it did, I feel like http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;kk...aaa;bbaa;YVgfY would be an extremely interesting build
    Last edited by sethers656; 2012-04-03 at 08:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly feel like that is a much better build... although it make take more APM (not APS :P) You get more use out of your traits and you can use your Cantrips while using the Lightning Hammer, which is something I forgot to mention. WHen using your lightning hammer, which you appear to really like, you cant use your auras.. but now you can benefit from the cantrip traits. I think that build overall works better. Also I wouldnt be too worries about the few attribute points from trait lines.. While they do help, gear has a much more important role in stats.
    That much is true. Cantrips are still useful when using a conjured weapon, unlike those auras.

I still dislike Mist Form because of it's long cooldown. Cleansing Fire is still useful, at least. Both builds will require some playing to see which way I like to go (whether more self-healing or damage reduction works better for me).

And yes, I was wondering about Fire's Embrace as well.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-03 at 08:38 AM.

Deleted
    My Supporter Build:

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...uu1316enev1gf0

But i´m unshure about the last 10 points..."Rocks Fortitude", "Elemental Shielding", "Zeohy´s Boon", "Soothing Winds", "Conjurer" and "Persisting Flames"... they are all awesome :3

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post

Scepter + Focus will give you more tanky/control abilities. Dagger + Dagger off-hand is for a more damage based setup.

Deleted
    Here is my build.(can't link anything atm :/) gw2tools.com/skills#el;kpaff;WcaWcgaaadaacaa;Ycaa;ZbSjZ Haven't put all that much thought on it,however I would love to hear ways it can be improved.I am mainly looking for a damage/support build atm with my "main attuments" being air and water,will also switch to fire for extra damage,however not all that interested in earth.(I will still switch to it though when I need the def cds ande genrally need to be more defensive).

So far looking to use this build. It's mostly focused on Signet uptime (with written in stone) and mobility (evasive arcana, windborn dagger, signet of air). The signets are used as my defensive cooldowns with a stun, a burn, and a blind. Using daggers gives me several charge and mobility skills. I'll be all about hitting hard and not being there when the pain tries to come back my way. http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;pa...gVa;bbaa;YgVUb

I think this should by my staff build (focused on attacking from range with AOE and glyphs
    http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;kk...XVa;Zaaa;ZWedY
    ---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by That one guy View Post
    Here is my build.(can't link anything atm :/) gw2tools.com/skills#el;kpaff;WcaWcgaaadaacaa;Ycaa;ZbSjZ Haven't put all that much thought on it,however I would love to hear ways it can be improved.I am mainly looking for a damage/support build atm with my "main attuments" being air and water,will also switch to fire for extra damage,however not all that interested in earth.(I will still switch to it though when I need the def cds ande genrally need to be more defensive).
    Since you're only using one arcane spell. I'd use Zephyr's Focus (which increases your endurance regen while channelling) because you're going Scepter (air) who's main spell is a channeled cast. You're gimping yourself out of a lot of potential dodges that way.
    Last edited by Sengel; 2012-04-03 at 09:25 PM.

heres my two specs im working with both are very similar http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;kk...Wea;bcaa;YUibZ
    http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;fk...Weg;bcaa;YSibZ
    er well guess 3 heres my 3rd http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;kk...Wea;bbaa;YUSbZ may take 5 out of water and into air for more crit synergy

Quote Originally Posted by Chaith View Post
    Armor of Frost - Water attunement, dagger offhand would like a word with you.

-33% damage taken, and chills attackers.

There's your mitigation. There are lots of ways with Dagger / Dagger to deterr an attacker other than armor of frost. You can: Burning speed blast away, Ride the lightning blast away, AOE chill enemies on a 15s CD with Frozen burst, pop your healing wave to aoe heal and remove a condition, shocking aura to stun attackers, updraft to launch attackers, the aoe knockdown and cripple in Earth you mentioned.

I mean .. it may not be invulnerability, but when you're pressured with Dagger / Dagger, you have stuff to do to play defensively.
    did they change frost armor? cause i dont see where it gives 33 percent reduced damage unless u spec for it in earth tree for auras the give protection