Page 1 of 62
... LastLast

Necromancer Discussion Thread

A thread dedicated to all things Necromancer! I (currently) plan for a human Necro to be my main. Somewhat akin to the Mesmer, it seems the Necromancer has both melee and ranged options depending on the weapon set (axes looked especially interesting). Also I've toyed with the idea of a "support Necro" that most focuses on blood-related abilities. Wells, providing debuffs, buffs, and healing etc.

I'll either be a Charr or Sylvari necro myself. Haven't searched in great depths into the class yet. All I know is that I loved being a minion master in GW, and hope there is something along those lines in this too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait to go Lich form (:

Deleted
    Hello my fellow Necros =) I thought I'd share a fan-site dedicated to the Necromancer class that you may or may not have seen before: http://www.necrobator.com/

I like the site. Good articles and overall a very professional look to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I plan on a Human Necro for myself. Looking forward to the Axe/Warhorn combo as well as utilizing the staff to help with support.

Not a real big fan of the Lich Form ability, have had my eye set on the Locust Swarm or whatever the other one is (never actually seen a video of it). But then again with all the Press Beta info out I noticed a third elite ability about summoning an ogre or something to fight alongside you. Could be cool, especially if a minion master build is viable.

I'm interested in trying out an axe(or dagger) / dagger Necro. A melee Necromancer just seems like a fun combo.

Deleted
    I think I will go for a Axe/warhorn Necro with a staff as my second weapon set. Mostly focusing on dealing damage.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As with some of the classes, im curious as to what 'escape' moves there will be.
    Obviously with the Necro, the idea of high base health and Fear generally makes up for that (not to mention pets etc), however i've not really seen any escape moves apart from the Thieves 'Vanish' ability. In PvP, this will be interesting to say the least.

I'm personally hoping that there isn't a 'must play this way' kinda deal, and that going mainly for minions, or lifesteal, or whatever else is viable (And interesting!).

p.s. All about the dagger and focus!

Deleted
    It's between mesmer and necro for main for me. Sure, necros use axes but as I understand it they don't melee anyway. Only thing holding me back from having mesmer as main with no doubt is the melee-part. As a fan of casters, the less melee the better. Haven't seen much about necromancers yet, but I like the formshifting, and some spells look epic, haven't seen if they have any dots? I'm a big fan of dot specs, but not sure if any or who is the most dotty in GW2?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixxe View Post
    As with some of the classes, im curious as to what 'escape' moves there will be.
    Obviously with the Necro, the idea of high base health and Fear generally makes up for that (not to mention pets etc), however i've not really seen any escape moves apart from the Thieves 'Vanish' ability. In PvP, this will be interesting to say the least.

I'm personally hoping that there isn't a 'must play this way' kinda deal, and that going mainly for minions, or lifesteal, or whatever else is viable (And interesting!).

p.s. All about the dagger and focus!
    When they use Death Shroud Necromancers get a teleport skill, which they can use to teleport up ramps or further away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    When they use Death Shroud Necromancers get a teleport skill, which they can use to teleport up ramps or further away.
    This has been changed to a trap-like mechanic, so you only teleport to the spot if your enemy enters the circle you placed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    This has been changed to a trap-like mechanic, so you only teleport to the spot if your enemy enters the circle you placed.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So now only the Guardian and Thief have free teleport? FUUUUU

Deleted
    I don't think ill play Necro as my main but after watching the Yogscast video they look pretty cool, the fact you can control 4-5 pets at a time must be brilliant fun.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So now only the Guardian and Thief have free teleport? FUUUUU
    Ah that is a bit of fail. I do think that every profession should have some sort of escape... even if it is a huge cooldown.
    What do we think the summons are going to be like? Do we have any control, like a mini pet bar or something? From the vids it seems not, but it would be cool if Necros and Mesmers alike could control the Clones/Minions.

Fear not my Ghouly brethren, we shall get revenge!

Deleted
    Can we hope a comeback of the first version of the Dark Path or is it gone forever ? (great uses of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVFJAVrzDXI from necrobator forum)

I think i gonna make a dagger/dagger // staff and a Blood Magic/Soul Reaping build for life steals and bring Deathshroud up as often as possible.
    I'm not sure yet about the race, I'm waiting info about racial spells from human/sylvari/asura if it helps me to make a choose.
    Last edited by mmoc07ae65ac6c; 2012-02-25 at 02:44 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realities View Post
    Can we hope a comeback of the first version of the Dark Path or is it gone forever ? (very good video of it in necrobator forum in the 'Dark Path ... ruined' topic)

I think i gonna make a dagger/dagger // staff and a Blood Magic/Soul Reaping build for life steals and bring Deathshroud up as often as possible.
    I'm not sure yet about the race, I'm waiting info about racial spells from human/sylvari/asura if it helps me to make a choose.
    Did they not say that racial abilities would be minor, so that people don't feel like they are gimped for picking something that looks cool to them?
    So pick whatever you think looks good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think for me personally it will come down to which race actually looks best as a Necromancer. I find the appearance of the character to be very important to me, especially my main. This is one of the reasons I'm very excited about the wide range of character customization.

As for escaping, perhaps the elite Plague skill. Transform into a cloud of Plague. I assume it will work similar to the cloud/steam skill an elementalist uses. The Staff has both a Cripple and Chill skill. There is a Blood Trait passive skill that increases movement speed when there is a dagger in hand. There is a Soul Reaping Trait passive skill that increases Deathshroud speed. Another Soul Reaping Trait passive skill that makes Deathshroud immune to cripple, chill, knockdown, launch and knockback. Combine those two and Deathshroud will be a great escape. Other than that, I don't see much.

Deleted
    I can't decide between Norn and Charr.

The huge amount of information is just overwhelming for me, and don't have time to read them all, that's why I'm going to ask you this.

Will it be possible, and actually viable to play necro as "melee"? Like, dot them from range, and then get in their face and rip them with axe?
    Is there any model viewer like on wowhead?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    I think for me personally it will come down to which race actually looks best as a Necromancer. I find the appearance of the character to be very important to me, especially my main. This is one of the reasons I'm very excited about the wide range of character customization.
    Same!

I can't pick between a Dark Charr and a Norn/human old Wizard kind of guy!