10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post
    No one is going a mesmer but I think everyone just wants to be a unique profession so I got bullied into going a mesmer but I don't mind haha.
    Psh, that's a silly reason. Each person should just play whichever profession they want. There's so many different ways to play each profession that everybody can find their unique niche and build.

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 08:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I think mesmer is the only proffesion with a skill that revives teammates from downed for 15 seconds.
    Would prefer Elementalist with Glyph of Renewal using an attunement appropriate to the situation.

Also, Rangers can have their pet revive a downed player.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post
    No one is going a mesmer but I think everyone just wants to be a unique profession so I got bullied into going a mesmer but I don't mind haha.
    Screw that, it's your money, play what you want to play. Don't let them bully you.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

I'll make one for you if you tell me what you want to do. Just because you want to main GS doesn't really help what kind of build you want.
    With the main being Greatsword I was going to do major pvp once i leveled my way to 80. Was playing with the idea of sword/pistol or sword for the secondary for something different. People wont get into melee range often as i intend to kite and use the knockback whenever they get close. I would have to say heavy power for a big glass cannon sort of build.

Only just settled on the mesmer at the end of BWE3 as i played it heavily in 2 and wanted to try Ranger/Guardian in 3 to make sure i was choosing the right one.

You don't need to be sword mesmer to do either of the things you said.
    I do know but the swords offered Illusionary Leap/Swap for quick closers and Riposte to generate more illusions on block for shatters.

But like someone else said, shatters seemed not as useful in BWE3.

EDIT: To fix quote.
    Last edited by Geist19; 2012-08-02 at 02:11 PM.

Would someone be so kind as to offer up a brief summary of what each weapon set's skills focuses on? I didn't play a Mesmer in BWE3 and am thinking about trying it out, but unfortunately I don't get another chance to play before launch.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    So. I started paying attention to damage numbers in various things, and I want to ask...

...do illusions... actually do damage? I'm seeing "0" rise up when they attack, on enemies that the Mesmer can deal 55 - 90 damage do with the auto attack. If illusion damage is null and Shatter damage is crap, what's the point of illusions at all?

It looks like Mind Wrack is matching the damage from the third hit of the auto attack at least, per illusion, so that's not TOO terrible, right?

Also: Mantra of Pain appears to hit very very hard.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-02 at 10:49 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    So. I started paying attention to damage numbers in various things, and I want to ask...

...do illusions... actually do damage? I'm seeing "0" rise up when they attack, on enemies that the Mesmer can deal 55 - 90 damage do with the auto attack. If illusion damage is null and Shatter damage is crap, what's the point of illusions at all?

It looks like Mind Wrack is matching the damage from the third hit of the auto attack at least, per illusion, so that's not TOO terrible, right?

Also: Mantra of Pain appears to hit very very hard.
    Mind wrack does a base damage of 1000 when i have no points in power period, so if you're only getting auto attack numbers you're looking at the wrong thing. CLONES do no damage, they will apply conditions and that though, phantasams are what do damage and they do a GREAT DEAL of damage too i might add. With the staff the phantasamal warlock will do a base of 500 damage and then does more and more and more damage the more conditons you have on the target.

The ONLY issue i've had with shatters is that they can take forever when your illusions have to run up to the enemy, but other then that i've had no issues in damage, or effect (ESPECIALLY with cry of frustration, i see no reason why it's "bad")
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I tried out kels confusion build.

Once everything is on cd you are not doing enough damage. I got condition damage stacked to the max and the staff is not doing decent damage. Confusion damage is great I can get a 6 stack without scepter but once confusion is gone its game over.

Even stacked toughness and still getting raped.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried out kels confusion build.

Once everything is on cd you are not doing enough damage. I got condition damage stacked to the max and the staff is not doing decent damage. Confusion damage is great I can get a 6 stack without scepter but once confusion is gone its game over.

Even stacked toughness and still getting raped.
    My build had around 2k toughness or so and was taking hits like a champ one thing that i can say that made me absolutely hard to kill as a mesmer was ACTING LIKE MY CLONES. I would make a clone and just stand there and press 1 (was using staff most the time) and 6/10 they'd end up wailing on the clone instead... god that was glorious.... however i do have to say that calling mechanic nonsense needs to be removed or at least drops on clone creation/stealth because that was absolute bull shit.... once they got me marked with that thing i was essentially dead...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    What needs to be done is, when you make a clone, they do a Blade Dancer Mirror Image kind of animation, instead of randomly spawning the clone in the general vicinity of you or your target.

Those of you who played Warcraft 3 know what I'm talking about. Drops you from enemy target, and "splits" where you were standing into 2+ of you, depending on current clone count.

10+ Year Old Account
    What needs to be done is, when you make a clone, they do a Blade Dancer Mirror Image kind of animation, instead of randomly spawning the clone in the general vicinity of you or your target.

Those of you who played Warcraft 3 know what I'm talking about. Drops you from enemy target, and "splits" where you were standing into 2+ of you, depending on current clone count.
    never played Warcraft 3, but if they behaved more like how the staff clone system worked that'd be amazing!! Incase you don't know the staff clone system is you teleport backwards and spawn a clone near you, makes it more confusing on the enemy on whose who especially if you pretend to be a clone.

10+ Year Old Account
    The real problem is how long it takes for your clone to actually appear. Or maybe that was just lag.

10+ Year Old Account
    The real problem is how long it takes for your clone to actually appear. Or maybe that was just lag.
    no, with all weapons but the staff it takes forever... they need more clone spawns like the staff... those were fast as hell and actually stumped the enemies if you pulled it off right, everything else was like "Lawlz like take 5 seconds to spawn a clone and during that time you can't do shitz!! TROLOLOLOLO!"

Deleted
    I tried sword/pistol build yesterday and the damage was noticable better. Tricky play though, not used to being melee and being melee still needs a lot of kiting since they are still squishy and cant really take hits from other melee. Kiting with using clones is a bit tricky but it's a fun kind of gamestyle. However, being in melee should boost your survival a little bit or is it a way to boost it with traits?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I tried sword/pistol build yesterday and the damage was noticable better. Tricky play though, not used to being melee and being melee still needs a lot of kiting since they are still squishy and cant really take hits from other melee. Kiting with using clones is a bit tricky but it's a fun kind of gamestyle. However, being in melee should boost your survival a little bit or is it a way to boost it with traits?
    You boost with traits if you can afford it, or more likely your rune-choice on your gear, but you generally need to be playing at the top of your game to pull it off.

But trust me, the "cant take hits from other melee", a thief, Rangers, heck even Guardians don't want to take Hundred Blades to the face.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I may be remembering wrong but it seemed to me that clones were dying even quicker in this stress test than they did last BWE. Anyone else notice?

all mesmers gone last stress test i saw just a few mesmer while pvpin all the test.

I updated the confusion build:

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simul...4.20.15.5.0.30

I realize that in scepter I won't be using attack 1 at all. Only reason to use scepter is for the confusion and block. Why? Because scepters attack 1 is not a condition anymore (use to apply confusion), its powered by power.

So staff will be your main attack and I went and got deceptive evasion for the clones scepter should of brought. I found myself wanting a shatter without a clone mainly because they got killed or I just didn't have one.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-03 at 02:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I realize that in scepter I won't be using attack 1 at all. Only reason to use scepter is for the confusion and block. Why? Because scepters attack 1 is not a condition anymore (use to apply confusion), its powered by power.

So staff will be your main attack and I went and got deceptive evasion for the clones scepter should of brought. I found myself wanting a shatter without a clone mainly because they got killed or I just didn't have one.
    Your HP and toughness are abysmal... You need to fix that if you want to use that in pvp ever...

10+ Year Old Account

The third hit applies Confusion and summons an Illusion, unless that wasn't the case last BWE/stress test. Illusions do no damage, but can apply conditions, and can be shattered to apply more confusion (2 stacks per illusion, if you use Cry, I think). Two of your Shatters are also useful for defensive purposes.

Kinda silly to pass that up. :P
    Not saying to prioritize your #1, but don't discount it.
    Obviously your build doesn't support what I'm talking about, but you built the way you did because you were trying to avoid the Scepter #1.

The problem I personally have is that it's possible to use Shatters whether or not you have clones, so sometimes I'd push it a millisecond after clones would die, and it would be wasted.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-03 at 05:45 PM.