So I made a scepter/focus, sword/pistol build.

And warden is AMAZING. It saved my but a lot, infact I killed 2 rangers just using wardens reflect because they were too stupid to notice they were hitting themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    So I made a scepter/focus, sword/pistol build.

And warden is AMAZING. It saved my but a lot, infact I killed 2 rangers just using wardens reflect because they were too stupid to notice they were hitting themselves.

The vast majority of the player base (even in tPvP) don't seem to realize when they're hurting themselves (it's fairly subtle)
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    So can anyone tell me if the Offhand Sword's block is reduced by the -sword cooldown trait? Because I think that's going to have a huge effect on my build.

That said, I'd do it myself but... work.
    What kind of build is that? scepter and offhand sword, what's the secondary weapon to use?
    Last edited by mmocb8e9590de3; 2012-08-26 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    What kind of build is that? scepter and offhand sword, what's the secondary weapon to use?
    Nah, Sword, offhand sword. Blurred Frenzy and the block both dropping cooldown by 20% off one trait is pretty significant.

Secondary weapon's the staff for Chaos Storm/Armor. Not sure I want to try sPvP with it just yet, but we'll see soon enough.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    Anyone able to explain 'confusion' to me? I've searched the interwebz and I can't find a good guide on it. I hear it makes any player affected take damage every time they cast a skill?

Anyone got any precise info on it (such as builds, weapon sets, how viable the damage is and what it exactly does?!)

In the mean time here is a picture of my Mesmer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    We act like the clones because making them act like us would be more difficult...
    I fully disagree with this statement. If I push the Mirror Blade skill on my Greatsword, it's not that difficult for pushing that button to also command all nearby clones to use the skill, except their versions of the skill don't actually do anything - no damage, no booning, no clone generation.

Admittedly, it could take some time to set up such behavior, as they likely have nothing in place for that sort of interaction, but it's definitely not impossible to do.

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    And what do you mean by the whole greatsword thing? That has nothing to do with whether or not the clone was fooling you, you were forced to switch to aoe to deal with me and my clone, if i even decided to be the one to leap in...
    If only one of you leaps in, I know it's not the real you. Because the clone you spawn when wielding Sword/X will be a melee clone and won't stay away from me. If you both leap in, there's a chance I aim at the wrong one (yes, I could just go "Oh, the first one that leaped in is always the illusion, so the moment I'm immobilized, I know that's actually him" but that takes more work), so I should be sure to pull out a melee weapon that can just hit you both. Your clone will die in like two melee swings, and you'll be left alone without the ability to shatter. Not to mention lacking any other form of support that clones give, like "3% more damage for each clone" traits, and causing conditions (outside of conditions caused on death, which is the only real drawback to this, but it's better than letting you shatter).
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-27 at 08:51 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I fully disagree with this statement. If I push the Mirror Blade skill on my Greatsword, it's not that difficult for pushing that button to also command all nearby clones to use the skill, except their versions of the skill don't actually do anything - no damage, no booning, no clone generation.

Admittedly, it could take some time to set up such behavior, as they likely have nothing in place for that sort of interaction, but it's definitely not impossible to do.
    It'd be weird to clone them to do an attack but no booning, when their attacks already do booning/conditions from the getgo (Illusionary Leap does Vulnerability stacks, Staff clones do debuffs). Possible, yes, but it'd be weird weird coding.

Edit: But scepter clones still do no debuffs (outside of crit/bleed traits). No "Confusion" at all
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-08-27 at 08:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    It'd be weird to clone them to do an attack but no booning, when their attacks already do booning/conditions from the getgo (Illusionary Leap does Vulnerability stacks, Staff clones do debuffs). Possible, yes, but it'd be weird weird coding.
    *shrugs* Well I have no idea what effects would be too OP to allow from the clones or not. I just very adamantly believe that clones should act like you, not the other way around. They're clones of you. You're not clones of them. I personally would love it if more clones meant every skill being more effective simply by virtue of your clones mimicking your skills, because then clones would feel more useful to me - but we'd also rely on them more, and the balance of the game would have to take that into consideration.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-27 at 08:52 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta say I am enjoying mesmer immensely! It was a last minute switch from necro but I just love the concept so much - I'm glad I did. I've tinkered around with most of the weapon skills but I keep going back to staff to open and then something else to follow up (usually greatsword or x/pistol (whichever is more upgraded)).

Deleted
    I've been spending today running spvp with this build; http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgEQ...rUOpkStKYEy8DA

The idea was mostly aiming for support roles. just staying alive a long time spreading glamours, but It has actually turned out pretty Godly and I never feel like I don't have enough damage either. Are mesmers just in a very good place right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post
    I've been spending today running spvp with this build; http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgEQ...rUOpkStKYEy8DA

The idea was mostly aiming for support roles. just staying alive a long time spreading glamours, but It has actually turned out pretty Godly and I never feel like I don't have enough damage either. Are mesmers just in a very good place right now?
    You only got one glamour lol. If you spec into the shatter trait line you can make them apply blind.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 10:48 PM ----------

So I have been trying to make a bleed build with some success but it is a very pick your poison kind of thing.

As the only way to get high enough stacks is to run with crit with the bleed sigils. Greatsword attacks 3 times sadly even if all 3 crit it only applys one time while scepters beam can apply 5 times.

The real downside is I need condition damage and crit. Which uses up the rest of my stats so vitality/toughness is considerably turning me into a glass cannon wannabe. When I get home I will try a power/crit build instead and see if bleeds do some decent damage.

Deleted
    Hmp, that link is bust, It is meant to be all glam utility skills ._.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I have been trying to make a bleed build with some success but it is a very pick your poison kind of thing.

As the only way to get high enough stacks is to run with crit with the bleed sigils. Greatsword attacks 3 times sadly even if all 3 crit it only applys one time while scepters beam can apply 5 times.

The real downside is I need condition damage and crit. Which uses up the rest of my stats so vitality/toughness is considerably turning me into a glass cannon wannabe. When I get home I will try a power/crit build instead and see if bleeds do some decent damage.
    I've just found that, in general, Bleed is pitifully weak compared to Burning, since you basically have to build up 10 stacks to be able to match the power of Burning. And all stacks are removed at the same time, which makes it even weaker.

I was hoping 5 or 6 stacks, I figured that would be fair, but 10? Sigh. From the first application of Burning, I'm practically taking damage from 10 stacks of Bleed, right away.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-29 at 12:41 AM.

I've just found that, in general, Bleed is pitifully weak compared to Burning, since you basically have to build up 10 stacks to be able to match the power of Burning. And all stacks are removed at the same time, which makes it even weaker.

I was hoping 5 or 6 stacks, I figured that would be fair, but 10? Sigh. From the first application of Burning, I'm practically taking damage from 10 stacks of Bleed, right away.
    I can't stack burning at least I think there is no burning sigil.... and illusions give bleeding on crits. Pistol and warden stack bleeds incredibly high.

anyway I tested condition damage. With 75 condition damage my bleed was hitting for 55, wtih a condition amulet (+700 condition damage) bleed was hitting for 65.

So yea not very impressed.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-29 at 01:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can "stack" burning in the sense that you increase it's duration further. My point is that Burning is about as strong as a fully-stacked Bleed already, which makes Bleeding kinda worthless.

You can "stack" burning in the sense that you increase it's duration further. My point is that Burning is about as strong as a fully-stacked Bleed already, which makes Bleeding kinda worthless.
    my point is as a mesmer I have no way of applying burning besides staff and I can't apply it with high stacks with just staff.

10+ Year Old Account
    my point is as a mesmer I have no way of applying burning besides staff and I can't apply it with high stacks with just staff.
    Should totally stick with Confusion.

I can't stack it like I can stack bleed :3 and most of the time everyone does something to avoid the death beam so i can't even get full stacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mesmer Torch skill 4 applies burning. Its pretty damaging.

I'm currently usung the torch with the 20point power trait that cures conditions and reduces torch skill cooldowns by 6 seconds. My question though is about the Illusionary Mage. I feel that he is really weak compared to the other phantasms (perhaps because he applies confusion)

How much does that single stack of confusion he applies really count? I often find it is wasted....

I love The Prestige though, and curing conditions is amzing (fucking Lovers applying confusion)

Would, if scepter's one chain actually stacked it like it's supposed to