Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    So I given up on melee. 2.1k toughness, 20k hp and a mobs auto attack hits me for 5k.

Like... really?

Now I got stupid full knights gear wasted all that gold... /sigh
    I'm wearing full Knight's gear (I have less health than you) and I'm not really having these issues. Melee needs you to be circle strafing. Timing the block. Blurred Frenzy. Knowing your sources of Regen/Protection and keeping near them.

@Durz: In only half exotics (and only masterwork jewelry while I try to max it), I'm at 2850.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I'm wearing full Knight's gear (I have less health than you) and I'm not really having these issues. Melee needs you to be circle strafing. Timing the block. Blurred Frenzy. Knowing your sources of Regen/Protection and keeping near them.

@Durz: In only half exotics (and only masterwork jewelry while I try to max it), I'm at 2850.
    lol dear god, that toughness puts my cleric wearing ranger to shame xD, granted you probably have toughness in ALL areas, where i only have it from my cleric armor, i think my jewelry is abysmally underleveled atm, not to mention it's not even the wrong stats!!

And then my mesmer is like lv 10, so i'd hope you have more armor then him xD (i almost only pvp with him...) But really no surprise that you are sturdier then Zito with that much toughness, that and you seem to understand how to melee...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Saving my dodges for survival rather than clone production, weaving out and popping my staff when things get a little hairy (or staffing from melee range if I plan to just chain Chaos Armor and Blurred Frenzy the second I don't have another one lined up) getting ready to go back in. Blocking mid animation*. Constantly moving. There's a lot of work that goes into melee, it's kind of why I like the Phantasm build so much. Of course, being a mesmer and stepping out of that huge death-zone that just went off, completely unfazed because y'know, Mesmer, is awesome.

*I don't seem to have the issues with Blocking that zito does. Sometimes the animation is delayed for pulling up my sword if I'm in the middle of a strike, but I still don't get a delay between when I push the button and a block becoming active (I know this, because it's saved my ass a few times even last night).

Edit: It is amusing at how tanky this (+ the Earth runes) gets in WvW, especially with liberal use of Chaos Armor and solid condition removal. People say you can't melee in WvW? I daresay that's very, very wrong. Suggestion on sigil use?
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-10-04 at 09:35 PM.

You can find youtube clips of skilled Mesmer PvP game play with as low as 9xx toughness playing with Sword+Pistol!

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    You can find youtube clips of skilled Mesmer PvP game play with as low as 9xx toughness playing with Sword+Pistol!
    Yeah, but can they hold out for 40+ seconds in a 1v10, to stop a supply camp from flipping over?

Sword/Pistol works, especially as Glass Cannon, but people don't see just how tanky the Mesmer can get without giving up offensive stats (except more residual bleed damage, which isn't a lot?).

|We talking staff here?

|We talking staff here?
    Sword/Sword with Staff as reserve.

I went back to page 85 which has Zito build, is that the one you run -with Staff support? Trying to see it with 2xxx Toughness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta say.... Mesmer is quickly taking over the role of my main...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Gotta say.... Mesmer is quickly taking over the role of my main...
    You just now realize this?

Also I miss my reflect build :'(

10+ Year Old Account
    You just now realize this?

Also I miss my reflect build :'(
    lol i miss where everyone in tournies but some thieves and hundred blades warrior use range... that was hilarious, 100% hilarious....

Oh well, bunker builds are freaking hilarious like i mean the full on super toughness and vitality builds where even once they find you it barely does any damage xD

I went back to page 85 which has Zito build, is that the one you run -with Staff support? Trying to see it with 2xxx Toughness.
    I'm using This build currently, and I swap points in and out here as I play around and try to find more things to do with it.

The empty utility slot phases between Decoy (which I push instantly as a stun break) and Blink which I'm supposed to be doing that with but I have stupid brain-lag and definitely not using it to its potential to save me. I need to work on this.

In WvW, if I'm roaming as a striker/scout, that elite is Moa. If I'm going 1v3 or 1v4, it drops that down to more managable odds for awhile. If I'm harassing a well guarded point, or (in the case of the other night) running in to certain death just to hold a dead point from flipping over as long as I can, I swap it for Mass Invis as something to buy me a few seconds before my cooldowns come back up again. If I'm with the zerg for whatever reason (Psh, my talent is so wasted there), that's the only time I run Time Warp in WvW.

The points themselves are toss arounds. I personally like this build, but I'm constantly tweaking which traits I want and which ones I should swap out, and I encourage everyone that runs it to do the same. If something's not working for you, get rid of it.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-10-07 at 02:11 AM.

Could I ask what is that 2xxx Toughness build you were talking about?

Signet of Domination can no longer be cast on targets behind the mesmer.
    Added a much faster breakout for mesmer underwater mantras.
    Phantasmal Warlock: Increased recharge to 20 seconds.
    Chaos Armor: Decreased recharge to 35 seconds.
    Chaos Storm: Increased recharge to 35 seconds.
    Phantasmal Duelist: Increased recharge to 20 seconds.
    Phantasmal Swordsman: Increased recharge to 18 seconds.
    Nothing but nerfs. No real fixes to the proffesion to offset the nerfs. Shattering has no even more become less useful because of the phantasm longer cd.

On a plus side theives still did not recieve a damage reduction.

Because mesmer damage was super high compared to theives...

Last edited by zito; 2012-10-08 at 01:22 AM.

Nothing but nerfs. No real fixes to the proffesion to offset the nerfs. Shattering has no even more become less useful because of the phantasm longer cd.

On a plus side theives still did not recieve a damage reduction.

Because mesmer damage was super high compared to theives...

wow that blows. there goes the staff. and everything else.
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralamus View Post
    wow that blows. there goes the staff. and everything else.
    I think I spent 3g on switching my spec because of the nerfs and everything else being broken.

Focus is junk
    Torch is junk
    Staff is junk for my support build I was running (That longer cd kills everything)
    Scepter is junk.
    Phantasms are a joke in PvE since they instantly die and signet doesn't increase their health till 3 seconds after they spawn but they die before then
    shattering is a joke
    mantras are a joke

The only thing left is GS and sword

/sigh

I'm out of builds...

I spent tolds of gold on my support build buying + duration runes, wasted 300 tokens for runes and knights gear because it supported my crit support build.

Now its gone, gold wasted and now I have to regear.

Karma isn't an option because karma cloth gear is junk, there is no customization in those pieces of gear, most of them are just crap condition damage. The only way for me to gear up is crafting and dungeons and dungeon gear is just like orr :/

Dot's cant crit, whats the point of precision condition damage healing gear/weapons?
    Last edited by zito; 2012-10-08 at 02:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zito... you just cease to disappoint me with your nearsightedness, the staff nerf (although saddening) is kinda needed, the fact i can throw down chaos storms in the middle of a cap point in PvP and be able to keep any bunker off there and eventually cap it from underneath them is kinda ridiculous...

However, they did buff staff by making it so you can use your armor more so that kinda counteracts it, and due to how amazingly powerful phantasams are it makes sense (and i was awaiting) the nerf on them, especially since they can completely devastate people!!

Deleted
    Dot's cant crit, whats the point of precision condition damage healing gear/weapons?
    Dot's cant crit but crits can Dot (Sharper Images) :P Also you need to go into the condition (illusions) and healing (inspiration) lines if you want to get the glamour utility traits if you're building for support (illusions for blinding on the glamour area and inspiration for longer glamours and shorter cds). Maybe that's what they were thinking with that combo of stats, dunno

I have developed a new build: Clone Defiance

http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/mes...7|0|0|0|0|0|0|

My fav skill calculator is gone and forced to use gw2 gurus since its really the only one left that is good.

Anything the highlight of this build are 2 things. Status conditions and reflect.

The reflect part comes from the offhand focus. Curtain and warden both reflect along with feedback. However in terms of usefulness it goes feedback > curtain > warden.

Warden has become mostly crap but has it's moments, its main problem is dying... really fast it has less hp then clones and signet of illusions doesn't make it better thanks to the signet bug (where the increase to hp does not apply till 3 seconds after the phantasm is summoned. However when it is alive it'll provide a nice 5 sec immune to range attacks. The other downside to it is its a 14 sec recharge and phantasmal haste is shit now and not worth wasted 20 points.

Next useful is curtain. It creates a wall that reflects projectiles. Good right? Well not really, its range is small and when I say range I mean its height. The only time it will reflect range attacks is when a standard, no taller then a norn, size npc attacks. Anything that is bigger (like golems in CoE) the reflect will not work and the projectile will go right threw the curtain.

The most useful is feedback, its a giant bubble, so height isn't an issue like curtain so it can reflect golems. This is your best life saver right here.

Now that the reflect part is out of the way now we get to the juicy bits. The main focus of this build is crippling dissipation and debilitating dissipation. Crippling is good, it slows enemys a lot allowing range to kite better and melee to escape better, debilitating dissipation provides either a bleed stack, weaken stack, or vulnerabilitie stack. You mainly want the weaken and vul as bleed will be useless for you.

Now you are probably saying "well my clones need to die for this to work". Well not really, there is a bug (and I am going to assume its a bug) where overwriting your clones with another clone counts as "clone death" allowing these 2 traits to trigger. Combined with a high crit chance, critical infusion and deceptive evasion you can pretty much keep clones rolling out every second keeping constant weakens, vul and cripples up. Now another bug is +condition duration does not effect crippling dissipation but it will work with every other condition.

Now what weapons to use? The choices are between GS, staff, and scepter/focus. Your main is going to be GS. No if's ands or buts. Reason is because GS has more clone generation then any of them here is why: GS attacks 3 times in 1.5 seconds. That is 3 chances to crit, which procs critical infusion which results in more dodge clones. Not to mention it's clone generating move with also provides might and vul is on a 6 sec cd. Scepter is slow.... SLOOOOOWWWWWWW like too slow, itll take about 4 seconds to get attack 3 finished to summon that clone that is if you don't interrupt its chain with another move (which you will be doing a lot) making scepter just a carrior for focuses reflects.

Now that GS is the main now it is between focus (lolscepter) and staff. Both bring differnt things to the table. Focus and scepter provide half baked reflects and staff provides buffs for the group and some conditions. Staff isn't that amazing (and recently nerfed it is still not). Medicore damage but at least winds of chaos provide fury and might. Chaos armor requires you to get hit the back teleport gets snagged on invisible ground particles.

Chaos storm is ok. It will apply poison, which in PvE basically does nothing has mobs don't tend to heal enough, daze which bosses are immune to but good on trash, weakness which is the strongest point and chill. For some reason chill in pve is only useful for the slow I never noticed chills +recharge time actually do anything for mobs in PvE. The boons are ok. Retaliation isn't all that great, swiftness is meh since you don't want to leave chaos storm and is reduced in combat. The only worth boon is aegis which is good however stacks in duration so it'll overwrite the first one which can suck if its right before you get hit but if you do get hit in time before another aegis appears on you it is awesome however it is random RNG.

So both focus and staff has it's ups and downs pick your preference. If you go with staff drop the 20 points in inspiration, put 10 in chaos and 10 in domination for +staff reduced cd and domination is just for the +10% condition duration.

Equipment is a preference. I choose 2 runes of lysaa and 4 runes of lich for +20% condition duration and the sigil I choose 30% on crit for freezing as it is an extra slow.

You want to be stacking Precision and power (regardless if you have staff or not because staff is a secondary support weapon like scepter/focus) and toughness. Reason I say toughness is because there is no precision/power/vitality gear.

I don't think the nerfs are that bad.