Deleted
    Mesmers are the only class I try to avoid when 1 on 1 though. They're way too strong at it - Especially with moa bird added.

But all in all, they did a great job with the class - I don't really feel they're too strong at this moment (altough alot of people are whining about it)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stynieke View Post
    Mesmers are the only class I try to avoid when 1 on 1 though. They're way too strong at it - Especially with moa bird added.

But all in all, they did a great job with the class - I don't really feel they're too strong at this moment (altough alot of people are whining about it)
    Fun fact, moa bird can be reflected lol, to my surprise in a 1v1 vs a mesmer i reflected moa bird back at him while casting my heal skill Mirror xD *puts another mark under the mirror category* This heal just keeps getting better and better....
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Soooo.... I'll get my gw2 soon and I wonder :
    Are scepter/torch mesmers viable in PvE?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    Soooo.... I'll get my gw2 soon and I wonder :
    Are scepter/torch mesmers viable in PvE?
    Yes, however I'd bring a power build if I were you because the auto attack hits like a wet noodle without it and confusion isn't nearly as useless in PVE as it is in PvP (players are dumb an attack all the time mobs wait until they can get onto you)
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    I mostly see pve builds here now in the recent posts. However, I could use some advice for spvp. Tried the more glass cannon builds with shattering, some version with sword/sword and staff and another with sword/pistol and staff. However, Im not really comfortable with being glass... backstab thiefs and those elementalist sure enjoy a good mesmer roaming. So, I want to get a bit more survival going but seems hard to find any good builds out there. My role in tournaments is mainly base defending and supporting other bases with portal, and in that role glass doesn't really feel right. Any tips and tricks would be helpful, would be friendly if someone put some useful builds up

Well, scepter/sword gives 2 blocks with the trait that gives retaliation you can do quite well, as for secondary weapon(s) Greatsword has knockback/cripple, Sword has Blurred Frenzy, Focus has Temporal curtain, staff can be good too i just don't like it personally all good defensive abiiltes there.

What i do though is Sword/pistol with Scepter/sword, Trait for Retaliation on block with some extra boon duration.

As for utilities a stun breaker is essential ofcourse, i use Blink for that with reduced cooldown.

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...GM0GGGaVcckMmM

In Inspiration you can change Mender's Purity too Wardens Feedback if you see a lot of ranged, Also Arcane thievery can be substituted for Feedback if you want, I just like Arcane tievery.

Well that's what i use anyway, might not work for every one.

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...70m7kId7owZ70m And that is what i use for PvE.

10+ Year Old Account
    a leveling sword / gsword mesmer should not focus on cond dmg, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    a leveling sword / gsword mesmer should not focus on cond dmg, right?
    Considering sword hits don't apply poison, fire, Confusion, or Bleed, that's very true.

Power, Precision, Crit Damage are all what you're looking forward to for damage increases.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I'm having a hard time deciding on a pve build.

I absolutely love the staff, especially for explorables, but the excruciatingly slow auto-attack projectile is utter shit for tagging mobs in zergs for karma/wvw, and condition damage gear is only really utilized with a staff diminishing weapon swapping purpose.

I like GS, it has probably the best potential single target dps out of all possible mesmer builds, but it doesn't support nearly as well as staff and it lacks many things like a decent aoe. Other professions can do much more (damage and support and survivability) while giving up far less. I'm also not a fan of the range restriction.

1h sword is my biggest complaint. The damage it utterly shit given that a squishy gets into melee. They could double the damage and it still wouldn't be a must weapon choice. In pvp it is great for semi-decent burst and invincibility, but in pve the only attractive thing for me is the cleave, which again other professions can do so much better without any effort or risk.

Scepter I don't ever want to use since the auto-attack is ridiculously slow and hits like a wet noodle, not to mention it's range and the laughable rate at which is produces illusions. Confusion in pve is a silly idea anyways.

Staff is really what I want to use, but I can't figure out how I what secondary weapon(s) I could go for that compliment a condition damage gear and build, exluding the scepter. I feel like going for power/precision GS/1sword is the most efficient and well rounded choice, as it also has better shatter damage which really is our only semi-reliable aoe on a 15s cooldown..

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm enjoying playing a GS/shatter build going 20/20/0/0/30; i had been using a phantasm(staff) build of 10/15/0/25/20 and felt like my warlocks were tearing champion monsters apart, but really I'm completely open to any suggestions or advice on the best way to be useful in a dungeon. Outside of damage, I figure having Null Field and/or Illusion of Life are pretty great support utilities, and substitute in Feedback for IoL vs mobs who throw lots of projectile spells. Can't remember what tree made "glamours" have a lower cooldown but I think I should maybe look into investing in that trait...Feedback has like a 45 second base cooldown right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I'm having a hard time deciding on a pve build.

I absolutely love the staff, especially for explorables, but the excruciatingly slow auto-attack projectile is utter shit for tagging mobs in zergs for karma/wvw, and condition damage gear is only really utilized with a staff diminishing weapon swapping purpose.

I like GS, it has probably the best potential single target dps out of all possible mesmer builds, but it doesn't support nearly as well as staff and it lacks many things like a decent aoe. Other professions can do much more (damage and support and survivability) while giving up far less. I'm also not a fan of the range restriction.

1h sword is my biggest complaint. The damage it utterly shit given that a squishy gets into melee. They could double the damage and it still wouldn't be a must weapon choice. In pvp it is great for semi-decent burst and invincibility, but in pve the only attractive thing for me is the cleave, which again other professions can do so much better without any effort or risk.

Scepter I don't ever want to use since the auto-attack is ridiculously slow and hits like a wet noodle, not to mention it's range and the laughable rate at which is produces illusions. Confusion in pve is a silly idea anyways.

Staff is really what I want to use, but I can't figure out how I what secondary weapon(s) I could go for that compliment a condition damage gear and build, exluding the scepter. I feel like going for power/precision GS/1sword is the most efficient and well rounded choice, as it also has better shatter damage which really is our only semi-reliable aoe on a 15s cooldown..
    I got the same dilemma more or less. But the staff feels just too slow...

Okay Mesmers, I have a question. I just started a Mesmer about a week or so ago. She's level 25 now. What is a good build for leveling/dungeons? Which weapons are best? Right now I'm using GS/Staff.

I'll be honest. I'm a ranger but I have a lvl 60 mesmer so I'll share what I know and use.

I use a more supportive build, for dungeons. I don't change too much for leveling because I'm lazy but it doesn't seem to be a problem to level either.

I use Staff + Scepter+Torch.

20/0/30/0/20

Domination I get: Rending Shatter to help with Vuln. And Cleansing Conflagration to make my torch even more supportive.
    Chaos: Ilusionary Defense for survival, Chaotic Dempening for more survival and more staff usage, and Chaotic Interruption to apply condition when Chaos Storm interrupts someone (quite often).
    Illusions: Master of Misdirection for more confuse dmg, and Ilusionary Elasticity to make the staff 1 bounce more for more conditions.

For heal is Ether Feast.
    For the Utility is very..varied since they all can be good at support. I usually take the Signet of Domination, Null Field and Decoy. For nice dmg, support and survival. But I always change specially on dungeons.

Elite is always either Time Warp or Moa. Just depend on the fight.

I think how to use the Staff+Scepter+torch is not too hard, but if you need help with what to use and when just shout.

----------

The last 5 points of Chaos are not really set in stone, the 25 is very useful as it will transfer toughness to condition damage. So you can play around with those points if you wish.

Again. I'm far from knowing too much about Mesmer, but that's what I roll and It's been fun and effective.

10+ Year Old Account
    for solo leveling, does not a condition staff / scepter torch slow you down somehow? I imagine the slow casting of the staff / scepter must factor in somehow. but in truth, at lv 80, for dungeons, that sounds nice.

---------- Post added 2012-10-18 at 06:24 PM ----------

and related to ranger, I also have a ranger that I abandoned for now because it feels too easy: switching from ranged to a melee, with the ranger, feels much better than it feels with the mesmer. But maybe my mesmer`s armors is much worse than that of the ranger... and the sword is worse?... they are not same level yet, but that`s how I feel for now.

for solo leveling, does not a condition staff / scepter torch slow you down somehow? I imagine the slow casting of the staff / scepter must factor in somehow. but in truth, at lv 80, for dungeons, that sounds nice.

---------- Post added 2012-10-18 at 06:24 PM ----------

and related to ranger, I also have a ranger that I abandoned for now because it feels too easy: switching from ranged to a melee, with the ranger, feels much better than it feels with the mesmer. But maybe my mesmer`s armors is much worse than that of the ranger... and the sword is worse?... they are not same level yet, but that`s how I feel for now.
    Ill be honest. I have not been leveling him too much, usually with my gf. But I did solo with him several times, might not be Optimal but certainly isn't too bad. You can adjust the traits for a more damage base (Like the 20% more dmg from the first shatt.). So yeah, it's slower than what you can do with other weapons, but if you do it right you can detonate enemies pretty quick.

Yeah the thing about the mesmer melee mainly (sword) is that it's all about reaction. Something must be done to you, to better use them. Sometimes that's bad XD, cause you wait for it and nothing comes. While ranger is more...go get and persue the enemy. And much of the survival of the mesmer comes from the shatterer and the number 2 sword, and using a pistol offhand helps alot with CC

Deleted
    what traits are the best for PvE staff Mesmer??

and what skill from this traits are the most important for him?

I did some testing with full berserker's and passive offensive traits on different professions, and I think I figured out what is bugging me so much about mesmers: the 1h sword auto attack. It scales incredibly poorly for a melee weapon. Very very poorly. Being the only "strong" melee cleave we have I am very disappointed. I think I am going to suck it up and put some more effort into my elementalist.

Funnily enough the highest DPS I got was from necro dagger, even higher than a warrior GS!

10+ Year Old Account
    That staff sceptre torch build can pump out some chronic AoE damage.

I tend to open with a few melee attacks to collect mobs, I drop a Chaos Storm on them, I hit 2 for the clone then pop my double clone skill following which I hit cry of frustration to apply 8stack confusion to everything. I call my warlock then switch to the sceptre and torch and call the mage for retaliation. Then I pop Prestige to apply a 1.8k burn.

Not much survives that.

Build is 0-0-25-15-30.
    Gear is Power Toughness Vitality with 6 runes of the undead. Traits give 5% of toughness as condition damage and Undead runes give another 5% of toughness as condition damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe it`s a begginer question, but here goes:

are Clones only good if you blow them up? I am level 25 and the clones still do 0 dmg. I am interested from a pve point of view.

Thank you.

maybe it`s a begginer question, but here goes:

are Clones only good if you blow them up? I am level 25 and the clones still do 0 dmg. I am interested from a pve point of view.

Thank you.
    Clones are good for 3 things. *even more maybe *

1 Confuse enemies. (I think enemies in pve attack the "wrong" you just as it happens in pvp).
    2 Keep them up. (There are plenty of traits that gives you a bonus for each illusion up (which means clone or phantasm) like doing more damage, taking less damage or even moving quicker.
    3 - Blow them up. (That you knew).

Now if you have a phantasm up (that actually does damage), you should keep him for the dps blow him up if the CD for him is ready.

Fyi: Clones looks just like you but don't do damage, Phantasm are faded (meaning it's not 100% like you to confuse enemies) but they do alot of damage.