10+ Year Old Account

Anyone know details on how CC works? Seems like there will be too much CC...

I just watched a few GW2 vids on youtube, like this one by totalbiscuit (narrated by his wife tho) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V6Ckj6--Z0
    And it seems to me like every single ability they have does some type of CC.... blind, stun, daze, confusion, ect. I'm a little worried that pvp might just be full of CC and you will spend more time just sitting there with no control over your character vs actually playing the game. How does CC translate over to PVP? Is there diminishing returns? What about resists?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdQe8tiI4wE

There's a pvp video from a Mesmer PoV, if you're worried. Most CC has extremely short durations, because ANet recognizes that nobody likes to be told "You can't do that while stunned"
    Course, that Mesmer player was quite unskilled...

Edit: On top of that, a lot of utility skills can break CCs or make you immune to them. In fact, I'm pretty sure most skills have different effects in PvP than they do in PvE (or at least different durations).
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-02-25 at 03:06 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Most CC is very short, on the order of 1-2 seconds with the abilities that cause them haveing either fairly long CD's in the 30+ second range, very specific application conditions, or is on a skill that could apply one of many conditions and is not a reliable way to apply it. About the only CC that has a relitivly long duration is cripple, basicly your generic snare CC.
    Also not all the conditions you listed are really CC. Blind for example is not like wow's spell with the same name. Blind causes your next attack to miss but only lasts for a single attack. Confusion is also not your standard CC, it causes damage to the victem of the condition when they attack not lock them down, you can still choose to attack your just going to be takeing some amount of damage if you do so. Daze is kinda like a silence that effects all abilities not just spells but you can still move. Ya stun is just what it says it is, normaly its called a knockdown but its effectivly the same thing. However an individual is unlikely to be able to hit you with this effect more than twice in a short timeframe and it has a longish CD. Yes theoreticly several people could chain stun you to death but if your fighting 1v10 your prety much SOL anyway.

Who is John Galt?

I saw one video where the guy said there wasn't much time you were CC'd. Sorta like the opposite of TOR so I'm pretty exited as I've never liked the crazy amounts of CC TOR and WoW have.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdQe8tiI4wE

There's a pvp video from a Mesmer PoV, if you're worried. Most CC has extremely short durations, because ANet recognizes that nobody likes to be told "You can't do that while stunned"
    Course, that Mesmer player was quite unskilled...

Edit: On top of that, a lot of utility skills can break CCs or make you immune to them. In fact, I'm pretty sure most skills have different effects in PvP than they do in PvE (or at least different durations).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqSVue7dK6o
    ^ better PVP Mesmer video.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stun durations only last 1s, daze durations last 2 seconds, chill is probably the nastiest CC because it snares you 66% and makes all skills you had recharging take longer, but other then that there's no real CC. Even the moa morph mesmers have allows you to still attack and run around and all that, granted you wont be nearly as effective doing damage but thats kinda the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

If you watch any of the videos you won't see someone ridiculously cc'd like you will in games like SWTOR or WoW. Everyone will have a chance to recover unless you just have an entire team focus fire down someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is great to hear, hopefully it'll very positively contribute to class balance as well, as nobody will have CC that lasts longer / works better than another's.
    Less reliance on CC should also result in the developers finding cleverer ways to make class gameplay distinct, which would benefit the player considerably.
    RIP Gunther, he wanted orange, the world gave him lemon-lime.

CCs are VERY short, you're looking at 3 sec at most for a CC, generally they're all 1-3 sec in pvp, probably up to 5 in PvE.

I am really hoping the insane CC chains don't happen in GW2. It's really destroyed WoW arena for me. 3v3 vs MLS or RLS is absoutely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungrydingo View Post
    I am really hoping the insane CC chains don't happen in GW2. It's really destroyed WoW arena for me. 3v3 vs MLS or RLS is absoutely ridiculous.
    There will be CC chains, but nothing close to resembling an insane duration.

Also profession using melee weapons tend to have tools to counter kiting and such. There's a boon called stability that makes you immune to most speed reduction conditions and knockbacks, warrior sword charge has an insanely short 8 seconds cooldown and has a fairly long range, guardians can also teleport into melee with sword and pull enemies to them with greatsword, etc.

Deleted
    Indeed - seems far more like an interrupt than a stun in the clips I have seen - except for the thief.

Deleted
    CC is sprinkled on almost all skills because *drum roll* we have dodge. So if you just standing there, eating everything thrown at you - it's your fault.

Besides, most CC in this game has very short duration and there is plethora of skills which removes conditions.

If you played Guild Wars you would understand how CC works, it is NOTHING like in wow. Cripple, Blind etc are conditions that can be removed, blind means pretty much all your attacks will miss, not like the WoW blind here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=jqmmKgRaZrY#! (PvP begins at 6.42)

Some pvp if you want to take a look, though a bit dated. Judge yourself if you find it appealing or not. CC seems to have very short durations.
    Last edited by Nev12; 2012-02-25 at 12:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    CC is sprinkled on almost all skills because *drum roll* we have dodge. So if you just standing there, eating everything thrown at you - it's your fault.

Besides, most CC in this game has very short duration and there is plethora of skills which removes conditions.
    This. You can avoid other ppl's attacks- including their CC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post

Huh, hadn't even considered that. It's something we're all gonna have to get used to.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.