Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

20 Things you didn't know about GW2

My apologies if this is a repost, did not see it brought up elsewhere on MMO-Champ:

First real disappointment of GW2: Can't customize UI elements like GW1, can only scale it. Oh well, I'm fairly certain they will eventually allow it before release. I will certainly be bringing it up as a suggestion every chance I get, and I hope others will too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure enough people will complain about that in beta that UI improvements will be made for more customization.

We also don't really NEED to customize the UI, when ya think about it.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I'm sure enough people will complain about that in beta that UI improvements will be made for more customization.

We also don't really NEED to customize the UI, when ya think about it.
    Well yeah, I won't die if they don't allow customization, but it is kind of odd to drop such a feature. I personally am quite fond of games that allow me to centralize what info I find important (like the target frame) wherever I wish to place it. Again, not a game-breaker, just a curious omission.

I don't think the UI needs customization at all, other than the ability to scale it. It has everything that you need displayed in a minimalistic manner. They probably will add the option at some point though, since people liked that about GW1 so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I can see of the UI from the press beta weekend, the UI seems just fine to me.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Really this is one of those games that just don't need UI customization. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have it, but if I were ANet it would be like the last thing I'd think about doing.

That being said, what the hell was that about being able to change your team by using a pill ?

Deleted
    I really like the UI anyway, its simplistic yet gives you all the information you need without it being splashed all over the screen.

Nice video anyway I hadn't seen it before.

For the sake of clarity, UI customization in this respect refers to the ability to move elements - not edit them via addons, LUA, or any other third-party way. WAR, Rift, and GW1 came with that feature out of the box. Not everyone likes their peas next to their steak, so to speak. And reiterating, NO, it's NOT a game breaker, so save any snide white-knighting.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    Really this is one of those games that just don't need UI customization. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have it, but if I were ANet it would be like the last thing I'd think about doing.

That being said, what the hell was that about being able to change your team by using a pill ?
    I'm guessing that might be something solely for beta testing, but I guess we will see soon.

They do have to do something about the UI. I am nearly at the breaking point in TOR because of the UI. Sick of straining my eyes and & getting a headache looking at developer terribleness & stupidity.

15+ Year Old Account
    #16 leaves me confused, can anyone explain this to me?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Fairly straightforward, it basically means you can't completely overpower an earlier area just because you're higher level. GW2 will scale your traits/stats down to the range it likely would be if you were questing through that zone. If I've gotten this incorrect, someone please post accurate info.

when you go into a lower level zone your stats are a scaled down so that its not a cake walk. While some will rail against this I understand the reason.

---------- Post added 2012-02-25 at 01:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    Wow, these guys are really annoying and not funny at all.
    silly me, I laughed at some of it.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

I think some simple customization options such as "move x unit to y area via left click and drag" would help players with customizing their UI.

The way I see the UI is a window, a tool to help explain the events going on in the game by providing information, the player should decide what incoming info is important though. If someone can't understand or get used to the UI it's more detrimental to play than helpful.

15+ Year Old Account
    thanks decimation and zerowashu

i don´t know if i like it hm
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it means that it your a high level (say 35) going into a lower level zone (15) your stats will scale to level 15 mobs so that no matter what zone your in. So each zone still gives you a challenge when your in it. So if your helping a lower level friend in a certain zone your on the same level and them and you don't completely stomp over everything.

Number 5, Gw 1 had that from day 1.... so it's not from blizzard sorry.

Pills to change your team? lolwut?

Quote Originally Posted by azzer24 View Post
    Number 5, Gw 1 had that from day 1.... so it's not from blizzard sorry.
    To be fair, he didn't say that. Simply said it was similar to Battle.net system. Logically for easy reference.

10+ Year Old Account
    #5 Works like battle.net?
    We shall never see the end of WoW comparisons in the MMORPG genre. WoW is like the herpes of MMO gaming; it's there, and will pop up out of nowhere just to piss you off when you're about to have a good time. I'm just strolling through the video thinking PC Gamer won't fuck up by making a completely stupid WoW comparison, they didn't even make it to #10 on the list before then. Good job guys! god dammit.

Anyway, don't worry about UI customization. ANet has already stated that they're shooting for full modding support, so you'll be able to turn that health bubble into a bar soon enough. You'll also be able to move your frames around. If we were able to do it in GW1, I'm sure we'll be able to do it in GW2.