Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    I found this post on Guild Wars 2 Guru Forum, and I pretty much agree with it.

Now I don't say it's like that for everyone, but for many.
    I agree with that post entirely. Which is why I refuse to pay for another sub game. GW2 is the only MMO I am looking forward to right now not only because it looks like the best MMO I've ever played, but also it is not p2p. WoW is the first and last sub game I am going to play, but only because my friends are still on there. I gladly pay 15 a month to spend time with them. Especially since our schedules always clash.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Also, Blizzard wasn't bought by Activision. Both were already owned by Vivendi, so it was just a meger to have a single gaming business unit rather than 2.
    Activision was it's own company prior to the merger and Blizzard was owned by Vivendi. After the merger Activision was made the controlling partner and it's CEO became the new CEO of Activison - Blizzard. While it's true Vivendi does own majority stock in the company, it's non-voting shares.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    For me, the monthly fee model is an entry barrier to cut at least some idiots from the game.
    (If you think WoW has a lot of them, check D2 instead, you will be surprised).

I really hope that ArenaNet staff will be able to manage and resolve all the issues adequately.
    Regardless of what D2 has, you really can't deny that if a monthly fee is meant to be an entry barrior to cut idiots from the game in WoW, it's a very very poor one.

10+ Year Old Account

I can think of one reason for them to keep playing WoW.

Pride.

Leaving WoW now is akin (to many) to saying you wasted all that money. Almost like admitting that you were wrong. The little pride monster inside everyone brain does not like being wrong. It definitely does not like being wrong to the tune of a few hundred dollars. Not at all. Why do you think people defend subs so much? the little pride monster is freaking the hell out at GW2 and the F2P games that are actually pretty damn good now. It's close to feeling like it's been wrong, and the pride monster hates being wrong. It's where the second monster comes in, the delusion one.
    It's pretty much the one reason I absolutely loathe that I've essentially stopped playing WoW in previous weeks. I didn't even let my guild know I'd be gone for a while (even with some kind of lie), I just stopped logging in. I'd wanted to play for this entire expac from start to finish without quitting... and I couldn't stick it through for the final tier, and it really bothers me that I couldn't.
    But I'm also so burned out that I just can't take it anymore. :<
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another Reason against P2P:

Grinds would be needed in the game to keep you playing, to keep your subscription active.
    And I don't want stupid grinding stuff in my GuildWars2.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

GW2 IS P2P. You have to BUY the game, meaning you have to PAY to play it. Plus WoW has monthly fees and yet is boring as hell, so so much for examples.
    - wyrd bið ful aræd -

I know many that couldn't when they should because they didn't want when they could.

Quote Originally Posted by jotad4 View Post
    GW2 IS P2P. You have to BUY the game, meaning you have to PAY to play it. Plus WoW has monthly fees and yet is boring as hell, so so much for examples.
    Again, mainly wrong. P2P, F2P, and B2P are three different marketing ideas.

P2P, Pay to Play: Buy the game and spend money (usually monthly) to keep your account active. Ex: Aion, WoW, Rift, SWToR
    - Usually has a online service shop to buy things online for extra money, like server change.
    - Don't usually charge for extra content (not counting expansions)

F2P, Free to Play: Download game and log in to play with a free account. Ex: Runescape, League of Legends, Vindictus
    - Usually has a 'members' account type system to unlock many extra features in game

B2P, Buy to Play: Buy the game and from then on the game is free. Ex: Guild Wars (not sure who else has this)
    - Usually has a online shop for cosmetic items, or extra things in game (extra character slots, extra hair styles or other character customization)
    - Comes out with expansions regularly

Hope this helps people realize why saying it's F2P is wrong, or saying that it is P2P because you buy the game~
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-02-27 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    Another Reason against P2P:

Grinds would be needed in the game to keep you playing, to keep your subscription active.
    And I don't want stupid grinding stuff in my GuildWars2.
    Its better for a game to attract people playing because they are genuinly having a good time. WoW has a diffirent deal going, you need to spend plenty of non-fun time (grind) to just get the gear to "unlock" other parts of the game to play. Or, just grind some more. Some people enjoy it, or enjoy the idea of "getting stronger". Altough the latter is a misconception as everytime you are the peak of your power you are faced with new content that bumps you back down to scrub level.

Why do people play Minecraft? Skyrim? Assassins Creed? Etcetc. Because they enjoy the time they are playing. I dont boot up Skyrim with in my mind "ow im gona kill me 400 Bandits because they have a 0.1% chance of dropping that awesome sword i need to be strong enough to move on to farming Marauders".

And that is what GW2 might be aiming for. They are not giving you endless tasks that force you to spend a lot of time playing to not fall behind the rest or feel you arent getting your fee worth, they are giving actual activities you do for fun. And when you are not in the mood, thats cool, the game is not going anywhere. Log back in when you feel like some WvW again, or some Elite Events, or Dungeons, or Warzones. You wont suddenly be weaker because everyone else now had more time to farm better gear then you.

This is true for most of my friends. They also dont want to try any other MMO's then WoW solely because they are max level so they cba to play another game even though that game might have a really good story and just be a totally different game overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    They also dont want to try any other MMO's then WoW solely because they are max level so they cba to play another game even though that game might have a really good story and just be a totally different game overall.
    I hate this reason for not trying new MMOs, but I've played too many damn MMOs over the last decade to care about how much I accomplished in the previous games. I've sadly dedicated years to several games and I'd never let something like that prevent me from trying the next big game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I hate this reason for not trying new MMOs, but I've played too many damn MMOs over the last decade to care about how much I accomplished in the previous games. I've sadly dedicated years to several games and I'd never let something like that prevent me from trying the next big game.
    The main reason it becomes in issue is not so much "Oh man, I'm so powerful in this game!" it's more like "Oh man, I went and spent ALL THIS MONEY and got all these characters out of it! It'd be a waste not to use them!"

I was subbed to WoW non-stop since at least as far back as the Cata launch, and I've been playing the game for longer than that (though not all in one go). That's 14 months, so... around $200 just this expansion. :S
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzúl View Post
    I cannot put my anger into words
    Damn man. I may not agree with him, but no reason to get angry!

10+ Year Old Account
    The P2P model is an abomination imo, i read somewhere sometime ago, that there is no excuse now for making a P2P game, maybe back in 2005 saying that the fee was needed for servers/employees paychecks was true to some degree, but right now, an mmo could do just fine by selling the game + expansions + cosmetic gear and mounts/pets.
    2 of the best examples being GW1 and LoL , GW2 is still very much alive, and it has a good subscription base and they are doing so well in fact that they could fund GW2.
    And LoL community is growing every day, and you dont need to pay for absolutely nothing and you can still be the best player in the game without spending 1 cent.

Blizzard selling an amazing amount of retarded lion mounts and the new chromatic dragons also backup the fact that P2P is in my humble opinion, just companies being greedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    The main reason it becomes in issue is not so much "Oh man, I'm so powerful in this game!" it's more like "Oh man, I went and spent ALL THIS MONEY and got all these characters out of it! It'd be a waste not to use them!"

I was subbed to WoW non-stop since at least as far back as the Cata launch, and I've been playing the game for longer than that (though not all in one go). That's 14 months, so... around $200 just this expansion. :S
    If you had fun the 200 dollars can be worth it. WoW has saved me some money in the long run by giving me a game that I can always come back to. Instead of buying a short 1 player game for 60 dollars, I can just play WoW if I play that 15 dollars. And it can last me a whole month! Yes, I sometimes think to myself that 15 a month is a little much when some months I never do much at all, but the months that I DO log in every day and do quests or when I decide to level, I can play for hours and not even realize it.

Well luckily GW2 is only a one time fee. I can't afford another 15 a month.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Craind View Post
    WoW is P2P because of Activision.
    Activision = greedy
    They don't -need- to get a monthly income from their game in order to make content. Many players will be using the cash shop anyway.
    You do realise that Blizzard released WoW Under Vivendi right?

And "Many Players will be using the cash shop" I don't know what you expect to be in that, but if it's anything like GW1 then most people won't bother.

---------- Post added 2012-02-27 at 11:34 PM ----------

Also, I know most people will be doing this when GW2

1) Buy GW2
    2) Play GW2
    3) Continue to play Sub based game of choice.

The beauty of Guild wars is in it's B2P nature, you pay for what's in the box, a couple of select content updates and that's it. There is no massive commitment every month, and if you want to drop in and out all the time you can and not have to worry about wasting money.

15$ a month + original box 60$ + expansions 50$ every 2 years is too much and full greed, get your head out of your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    15$ a month + original box 60$ + expansions 50$ every 2 years is too much and full greed, get your head out of your ass.
    Cata hasn't even been out for two years and don't forget DLC content from their store and services.

This is not a "Bash Blizzard" thread, knock it off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    Sorry, would rather spend £9 a month on a Game I still enjoy then potentially have to spend more on a so-called free to play game so that I can remain competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrena View Post
    Sorry, would rather spend £9 a month on a Game I still enjoy then potentially have to spend more on a so-called free to play game so that I can remain competitive.
    For the millionth time:

Most F2P games do not sell power. They sell convenience (additional bag slots or experience boosts) and cosmetic items (costume gear/weapon skins or pets/mounts).

I don't get why everyone thinks all F2P games are pay to win, when in reality only a minority of Eastern MMO's use that kind of system.