Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Sure I have probably spent 1000$ in subscription costs since the game launched. Including the purchase price of all the game / xpacks an additional 240$. Server transfers, race changes and blizzard store purchases easily another 200$. So where does that leave me, lets say a cool 1500$ for 6 years of game time. My played time in game has to be close to 7000 hours total between all my toons. So wow costs me what... 0.20$ an hour to play. By far cheaper than any other entertainment i could think of. I play the occasional bit of call of duty and what not but for the most part I dont buy other games. Seems worth it to me imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not in the continuous subscription boat, yet, I guess.

The only reason I let my sub. lapse is because this game is too tempting to play over doing schoolwork (I have very little will power). However, I graduate in a few months and then I'm done schooling for the foreseeable future. At that point I can myself having a recurring sub. indefinitely.

WoW is incredibly cheap compared to other forms of entertainment. I worked out I've spent a whole $479 on WoW since Jan 2007; given that is on-and-off but, still. That's about $0.13 for every hour I've /played WoW - I beg someone to find another form of payed entertainment that costs as little as that.
    Last edited by Vidur; 2012-03-01 at 05:48 PM.

'What other people think of me is none of my business" - RuPaul

Quote Originally Posted by JeeroyLenkins View Post
    So, you spent $2070 on subscription costs? You have my sympathy.
    Pretty sure I'd have spent a lot more on other things if I wasn't paying my sub.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've played since launch. Not continuous. Longest break was almost ½ a year around the time when Sunwell came as I was in army. Didn't see much point of spending 12e a month to a game I might play a hour or two every second weekend. Other than that I've had odd breaks warying from few weeks to two months. None of them were decided with mentality "Now I need to quit this game". Ran out of time and jsut didn't bother buying more due school or some other game I was focused on. Think I have used around 800e total to subs + expansions. Sounds high but need to consider it's on the timespan of 7 years.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdawn View Post
    In your opinion, but not everybody drinks, and not everybody has friends, Plus you pay roughly 50 cents a day for wow and get more than 2 hours in a day, while you pay 9-16$ for a movie thats entertains you for 2hrs
    Haha what the hell? Who does not have any friends? Sounds awful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yourgrounded View Post
    Of course it sounds awful, but truth is, its 100% possible to push everybody away from you
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinivus View Post
    Pretty sure I'd have spent a lot more on other things if I wasn't paying my sub.
    Yep, i get bored of other games pretty quickly which would just lead to me buying a lot more of them at a faster rate and getting way less out of them [/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Yourgrounded View Post
    Of course it does to social people, because that's what you do. Maybe I think not drinking sounds awful too. (I don't, but whatever.)

I have been subscribed continuously since launch.

There have been times that I don't particularly feel like playing, or just don't have the time to play, but really $13 (6 months payment at a time) a month is not a lot of money, and there has always been a day or two here and there in the busiest months that I still feel like logging and and doing something. So no regrets, and I am not tired of the game.
    "I have a hard on for Alexstrasza and I don't want her to die before I can make her my personal mount in both of her forms"* Jet Zeppelin
    "give Paragon o kick in their face with your fist "

In total I've not played WoW from maybe a year in total. Various reasons of course over the past 7ish years.

See, it's this sort of attitude in the thread that's wrong with the average first-world consumer. You're letting big companies take you for a ride. $15 per month is simply too much to charge for a single game, especially one as visually and technologically dated as WoW. Whether it's an MMO or not.
    A tenner a month? (£10)

You having a larf mate - £10 a month is a drop in the ocean! Seriously, it's really peanuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    See, it's this sort of attitude in the thread that's wrong with the average first-world consumer. You're letting big companies take you for a ride. $15 per month is simply too much to charge for a single game, especially one as visually and technologically dated as WoW. Whether it's an MMO or not.
    Look at Asia; The pay-per-month business model is extremely unpopular there, which is why most companies use a pay-per-hour system. It works well, you can top up your account at any time and pay only for the time you play. That's even how World of Warcraft works in China, and some other Asian countries. You don't have to pay for any time that doesn't get used and goes to waste, no flat monthly rates. But because consumers in the West are so used to the idea of a flat monthly rate, that's all big companies want to do. Charge a monthly fee, make it difficult or inconvenient to for the customer to unsubscribe, and get paid forever.

Can you imagine if Blizzard would ever make a pay-per-hour system in the West? They wouldn't be making anywhere NEAR as much money as they are now, because so much of their income is from unused game time due ignorant average consumers. It reminds me of those store gift cards which are costing consumers tens of millions of dollars each year (click) because people are dumb enough to buy them in the first place.
    50 Cents a day for an hour + entertainment a day is not expensive, plus if you do the 6 month plan its down to around 43 cents a day, its not too much money for a game we enjoy, and i really don't know why your so desperate to A. insult the people who play wow ( assuming you don't, or hate yourself for it ) and B. try to prove that wow is a waste of money ( which by the way, a LOT of things are a waste of money, almost everything )

Deleted
    I'm currently subbed to WoW, haven't played it for three months, don't intend to play it anytime soon. I'm also subbed to ToR which I've stopped playing but may go back to in a couple months, and am playing Rift again which I was subbed to for 5 months without playing it. I just don't care enough about the fee to un-sub.