Page 64 of 85 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Question about Guardians...

Hi,

I never got the chance to play the Beta. So are Guardians a support class only? Because they seem like an awesome profession id like to play. But i'm worried if they can actually do any decent damage while supporting too. If I was to support a friend in sPvP would I be able to out put decent damage too, while supporting him at the same time? Hopefully they don't become one of those classes where you must have a Guardian to support you only, because then you'd feel a bit like a healer in some kind of sense.

Thanks for the help.

You can build a Guardian purely for damage I believe. Their damage isn't weak, they just have more options for support that you can choose if you want to.

Deleted
    There's a guardian thread that should be able to give you a lot of info.

Tbh, every class really has the toolset to excel in every role. Maybe not the exact same toolset, but tools that serve the same purpose. Those that try to pigeonhole certain classes into certain roles are doing themselves and others a disservice.

Deleted
    Here's a short Guardian spotlight if you're interested, should give you a good overview of the class.
    You can build Guardians for damage purposes if you so desire. You have less options than some other classes, but they aren't necessarily support classes by any stretch.

Deleted
    They can put out a lot of damage if they want to. But yeah you should check out the Guardian thread in this sub-forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Questions about Guardians should go in the Guardian Thread

To answer your question: it's flat-out impossible to not support with a Guardian. So much support is build into the profession and the skills that you'll always be supporting. This doesn't mean, however, that you can't do damage. Guardians do really good sustained damage (lacking somewhat in burst) with the right build.

Now, you're also asking if you can do good damage and good support. You could, if you wanted, but you'd do less damage and less support than those who choose to focus on one aspect. There are trade-offs to be made for every build.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Thing is, their utility skills are very strong vs ranged, probably the strongest in game. If you are able to grab this sort of build http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUAQBViBqLceIlQAiAA + decent ranged damage the guardian would be the 'godclass'. (you can also change sanctuary for bane signet) You're basicly neglecting all ranged damage and you can heal kite decently, all in just one weaponset.

A ranged guardian will play a support role, there's nothing wrong with that imo.

Deleted
    The greatsword for guardians is purely focused on dealing damage. The sword and the torch are also mostly offensive weapons. The rest of the weapons have a lot of defensive/support abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Thing is, their utility skills are very strong vs ranged, probably the strongest in game. If you are able to grab this sort of build http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUAQBViBqLceIlQAiAA + decent ranged damage the guardian would be the 'godclass'. (you can also change sanctuary for bane signet) You're basically neglecting all ranged damage and you can heal kite decently, all in just one weaponset.

A ranged guardian will play a support role, there's nothing wrong with that imo.

I don't really care that ranged Guardians are forced into support, because that's how I, personally, feel most comfortable (although I did enjoy melee support more than I'd imagined), but Guardians at range are, even with the improvements, crap, even for supporting.
    Seriously, this is a Ranged Support Build I came up with just now. As for weapons, there are no other choices. Utilities are a little more freeform- you could take shouts instead of Consecrations, for example. Playstyle-wise this would be pretty boring and rather ineffective outside of PvE and gate battle- and in gate battles, it wouldn't exactly shine either.

And I don't think anyone is asking for an awesome ranged damage weapon, just something that's better than the Scepter.
    Last edited by Ynna; 2012-08-08 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Adding coherence after thread merge.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

We are trying to keep Guardian questions and discussions in the guardian thread. Im merging the topic. ~Zil

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, http://www.gw2builds.org/create/bwe_...3.9.2.12.2.8.7 is for sure not a perfect build but you should be able to aply quite some stacks of burning to your target while keeping it on distance whith immo and knock down. I am not quite sure how ever, how the damage of scepter is working.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migrin View Post
    I am not quite sure however, how the damage of scepter is working.
    It's pretty good, as long as the enemy isn't going anywhere and the field is perfectly level.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    It's pretty good, as long as the enemy isn't going anywhere and the field is perfectly level.
    Which makes it quite trivial. Against decent players at least.

Yeah, I'd say the scepter was my least favorite weapon with the torch offhand a distant second.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'd say the scepter was my least favorite weapon with the torch offhand a distant second.
    Strange, I would have expected that setting people on fire is pretty cool

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Migrin View Post
    Strange, I would have expected that setting people on fire is pretty cool
    The idea is cool, but the fact that most of the attacks rely on people standing still, it's very trivial.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJekyll View Post
    The idea is cool, but the fact that most of the attacks rely on people standing still, it's very trivial.
    Why? You can move with attack 4 and follow them. Attack 5 is aoe around you and the triggered effect s. fast 1200 range projectile. Its great for applying effects with certain builds constructed around them, and its great aoe.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I also expect it to work pretty well together wit retaliation builds with punishment for people attacking you. But still I see your point. Thanks for clarification

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    Why? You can move with attack 4 and follow them. Attack 5 is aoe around you and the triggered effect s. fast 1200 range projectile. Its great for applying effects with certain builds constructed around them, and its great aoe.
    Yeah that's great and all, but if you can't use 3/5 skills effectively to damage your opponent because they moved it's still kind of terrible.